Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show us your kard (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27350)

mariusgmioc 12th October 2021 07:55 PM

Show us your kard

9 Attachment(s)
Here are mine.

Two Persian (first small, 26 cm overall; second large 36 cm overall), and one Turkish Ottoman.

mahratt 12th October 2021 09:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Great topic, Marius! And great Kards.
Few kards from my collection.

ariel 12th October 2021 09:26 PM

Personally, I like " show and tell" topics. Something that clarifies a subject, not just shows some beautiful objects. Tough to compete with Hales' catalog.

kronckew 13th October 2021 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the simple ones.

mariusgmioc 13th October 2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 266904)
I like the simple ones.

Interesting. Any idea where is it from? Can you post more photos of it?

Anyhow, I notice it is well guarded! ;)

Saracen 13th October 2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 266904)
I like the simple ones.

On the photo is this the cool dog, that has feathers? ;)

kronckew 13th October 2021 10:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That's Millie, my champion ex-racing greyhound.she passed over the bridge in 2013. My current Watch dog, Guardian of the Armoury and feathered Queen of all she surveys is Poppy, A Saluki/Lurcher cross: The 'feathering' is the fringes of hair behind the legs, and on the ears, and hanging from her tail. the bottoms of herr feet are also hairy to protect against hot sand.

kronckew 13th October 2021 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back on topic, the kard is likely NW India/afghanistan. Another of mine has been called a bosnian kard. Blade may be wootz.

Saracen 13th October 2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 266912)
That's Millie, my champion ex-racing greyhound.she passed over the bridge in 2013.

Sorry, kronckew. Yesterday it was four years since my feathered one crossed over this bridge. And I'm glad and grateful to them all that they were with us.

mariusgmioc 14th October 2021 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 266913)
Back on topic, the kard is likely NW India/afghanistan. Another of mine has been called a bosnian kard. Blade may be wootz.

This one is also very interesting but in my opinion it doesn't look Bosnian.

I am curious what others may say?! :confused:

kronckew 14th October 2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc (Post 266921)
This one is also very interesting but in my opinion it doesn't look Bosnian.

I am curious what other may say?! :confused:

Oops! Meant to say 'Balkan' not 'Bosnian'. :o

Saracen 16th October 2021 05:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The Ottoman kard. Late 18th - early 19th century

Norman McCormick 16th October 2021 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
My one and only.
Regards,
Norman.

mariusgmioc 16th October 2021 07:15 PM

Lovely!

The blades may be wootz. Did you consider trying to etch them?

Norman's looks like a bichaq from the Balkans... I guess...

Saracen 16th October 2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc (Post 266975)

Did you consider trying to etch them?

Yes, of course, the blade of this kard is wootz.
There is a very beautiful, "curly" structure, similar to the wootz pattern on the blade of your Ottoman kard.

Interested Party 17th October 2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saracen (Post 266980)
Yes, of course, the blade of this kard is wootz.
There is a very beautiful, "curly" structure, similar to the wootz pattern on the blade of your Ottoman kard.

Interesting. Beautiful knife (knives)!!! This response shows the limitation of analysis of an object from photography. The pictures appeared to have two light stripes running lengthwise on the blade which made me guess that it was composed of twisted rods welded together. So, either an optical illusion or a slight rub in the scabbard?

Saracen 17th October 2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested Party (Post 267006)
Interesting. Beautiful knife (knives)!!! This response shows the limitation of analysis of an object from photography. The pictures appeared to have two light stripes running lengthwise on the blade which made me guess that it was composed of twisted rods welded together. So, either an optical illusion or a slight rub in the scabbard?

You have a sharp eye! I hardly see these stripes. Most likely, there is really rub in the scabbard.
I know that the blade is wootz. He had already been etch, but this blade can clearly show the best result. Now he is ready for etching again.

Battara 20th October 2021 04:35 AM

Saracen, that is one nice kard!

Battara 20th October 2021 04:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Ottoman kard from the early 18c. The hilt is jade with a ruby stone at the end, gold koftgari, and wootz blade.

mariusgmioc 21st October 2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 267074)
Here is my Ottoman kard from the early 18c. The hilt is jade with a ruby stone at the end, gold koftgari, and wootz blade.

Magnificent!

Do you know what the koftgari says?

Battara 24th October 2021 12:57 AM

Here is the translation and commentary in my notes:

"Victory from ALLAH and a conquest in the near future, and give glad tidings to the believers."

According to Ahmed Helal Hussein, “This is the final part of the 13th verse of Surat al-Saff in the Qur'an. The "conquest in the near future" was the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)'s conquest of Makkah (Mecca) in the year 8 A.H. (630 C.E.).”

mariusgmioc 24th October 2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 267151)
Here is the translation and commentary in my notes:

"Victory from ALLAH and a conquest in the near future, and give glad tidings to the believers."

According to Ahmed Helal Hussein, “This is the final part of the 13th verse of Surat al-Saff in the Qur'an. The "conquest in the near future" was the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)'s conquest of Makkah (Mecca) in the year 8 A.H. (630 C.E.).”

Thank you! :)