Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   17c Shamshir on E-Bay (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5921)

ALEX 4th February 2008 09:14 AM

17c Shamshir on E-Bay

This is as bad as "bad" can be :shrug: Sorry, I have no more words... it is just too sad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Islamic-Indian-P...QQcmdZViewItem

kronckew 4th February 2008 10:31 AM

don't worry, i'm sure there will be another more expensive one available for you.
check the vendors other items....

nice indian birdseye pattern welded steel (wonder if it's been nicely hardened/tempered), it's in such good condition, it could almost have been made last fortnight. maybe that's what they meant by 17th-18th : they must have meant 17th or 18th of january as they carefully did not say 17th-18th "century" anywhere.

ALEX 4th February 2008 11:35 AM

Good point about 17/18 :)
I am worrying about 20+ people who bid on it :)
I assume they were considering it "old", i.e. antique sword, hence the price they were willing to pay.
The blade by the way is not hardened... well, it's only $100. The scabbard is typical new Syrian work. Total cost is under $300.

kronckew 4th February 2008 11:56 AM

well, i was being a bit facetious about the hardening, and refrained from saying the most i'd venture was £150 ($300) lest i fall into violating the rules about discussing price. i would have expected it to be properly heat treated tho. he did say the blade was from india, so you cannot fault what he says. i hope he gets all he deserves from the other weapons he's selling. ultimately Allah will reward the righteous and punish the dishonest. ;)

ALEX 4th February 2008 12:21 PM

You're absolutely right! Well said!
I also did not mention about seller (other than 17/18 thing). I was surprised by the buyers. The price reference is to reinforce the value concept, and this is what it sells for in the place it is produced.

Andrew 4th February 2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX
I am worrying about 20+ people who bid on it :)

:shrug: I'm not. Anyone willing to pay that kind of money better be an experienced ethnographic arms collector. Any experienced ethnographic arms collector knows exactly what that sword is.

In my opinion, the buyer deserves what he/she got.

David 4th February 2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew
:shrug: I'm not. Anyone willing to pay that kind of money better be an experienced ethnographic arms collector. Any experienced ethnographic arms collector knows exactly what that sword is.

In my opinion, the buyer deserves what he/she got.

Andrew, where's your compassion?! :rolleyes: :)

Andrew 4th February 2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Andrew, where's your compassion?! :rolleyes: :)

lol. I lost much of it when I became bitter and jaded. ;)

spiral 4th February 2008 07:44 PM

How much does a degree in Ethnographic arms cost?

The winners in China , We will probabably see 100s of copies of it on ebay next year! :shrug:

Spiral

Yannis 4th February 2008 08:13 PM

I mostly worry about the "upgraded" old blades with new coftgaris, new hilts and scabbards that some sellers use to promote like original antiques :mad:

ariel 4th February 2008 08:41 PM

Andrew, this '"cathyzhong" had been buying inexpensive European swords and bayonets for some time. Taking into account that anything older than 60 years is antique down there, the demand must be ferocious and the prices must go through the roof.
In Russia, where ownership of weapons was banned and many were destroyed, and where expost of antiques is forbidden ( just like in China) a stinking WWII bayonet costs $200-300.
So, our little Madama Cathyzhong will earn a healthy profit on this monstrosity.
It will be, likely, re-invested in some garage in the armpit of Manchuria, where " unique high command shashka yataghan with rosewood vagina" will be produced every 10 seconds.