Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An old plamingko (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28223)

h0ll0wman 16th September 2022 12:12 AM

An old plamingko

5 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired this beautiful piece. The fittings on the scabbard and hilt seems to be brass and aluminum.

Battara 16th September 2022 02:26 AM

Very nice with aluminum(?) mounts. The head could be that of Bakunawa from the Visayas. Post WW2 looks like.

xasterix 16th September 2022 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 275063)
Very nice with aluminum(?) mounts. The head could be that of Bakunawa from the Visayas. Post WW2 looks like.

I'm just curious- since it has brass, could it possibly be pre-war? I've noticed that the WW2/immediately postWW2 Panay pieces only have aluminum fittings (no brass parts anymore). Level of detail might also correspond to prewar.

Just a thought, though, am no Panay expert- always looking forward to learn more!

Battara 16th September 2022 06:46 PM

I guess the question is are the white metal parts aluminum or silver or nickel-copper alloy? They look aluminum to me and this wasn't in ample supply until WW2. Brass/bronze has always been available. So a testing of the metal would be the only way to be 100% sure of silver content or not.

h0ll0wman 17th September 2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 275082)
I guess the question is are the white metal parts aluminum or silver or nickel-copper alloy? They look aluminum to me and this wasn't in ample supply until WW2. Brass/bronze has always been available. So a testing of the metal would be the only way to be 100% sure of silver content or not.

It feels and look aluminum to me. Is there a simple way to test the metal fittings? Regarding the silver content.

kino 17th September 2022 05:28 PM

Nice find, hollowman.
Judging by the amount of aluminum vs brass used, maybe it wasn’t readily available or possibly a post-WWII addition / replacement.

Battara 17th September 2022 09:19 PM

Kino has a point. Might be earlier with latter additions. They are nicely done in any case.

h0ll0wman 18th September 2022 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino (Post 275093)
Nice find, hollowman.
Judging by the amount of aluminum vs brass used, maybe it wasn’t readily available or possibly a post-WWII addition / replacement.

interesting information. thank you sir.

h0ll0wman 18th September 2022 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 275097)
Kino has a point. Might be earlier with latter additions. They are nicely done in any case.

I appreciate all your inputs Battara.

kronckew 18th September 2022 02:51 PM

Don't forget, up till 1886, when, with the availability of cheap electric power, they invented the electrical processing of alumina into aluminium, it was a rare and precious metal and only used for decorative embellishments like this Knife & scabbard.

Aluminium did exist and was used much earlier than y'all think. I hear a cutler made a dinner setting for a King about 1825 with aluminium handles.

Aluminium was certainly available and used in the late 19c., and readily available pre WW1 for structural military use - when they used it to build airships - Zeppelins - to bomb London. Duralumin alloy used in airships was invented in Germany in 1909 and was a state secret for a while. But that's another story.

Use of easily salvaged aluminium from WW2 aircraft wrecks, of course, expanded greatly during/after WW2 in the far east.