Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kukri (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20912)

Hombre 31st December 2015 05:42 PM

Kukri

4 Attachment(s)
This must be typical tourist kukris right?
Grateful for any information at all.

Happy New Year!

Best,
Stefan

Battara 1st January 2016 12:28 AM

Yup!

And usually made in India.....

kronckew 1st January 2016 12:42 AM

the lions head pommel is a dead give-away of those made for traveller's souvenirs.

Hombre 1st January 2016 10:12 AM

Well, I am not surprised. Anyway, thank you very much.
Is there any good book about the kukri?
I mean, to read and get information before buying the real deal.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Henk 1st January 2016 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mostly the blades of these kukri's are engraved with India on it. Like in this picture,

The first one is a so called tourist kukri.
The second one looks a lot better to me.

Maybe the kukri guys can tell something more about the second one. Not every lionhead is immediately a souvenir.

rickystl 1st January 2016 04:08 PM

Hi Hombre.

I owned one IDENTICAL to the first one you posted above. Believe I paid about $12.00USD for it in 1965. Actually, my Mother had to buy it for me since I was not 18 years old yet, only 15. Took it to some local guy and had all three blades sharpend. Think that was $1.50. I remember the belt loop came loose and had to take it to the local shoe repair to get it stiched better. LOL
Carried it on many exotic expeditions - down the street to the local forest preserve. LOL
As they say: Thanks for the memories! :D
Rick.

kronckew 2nd January 2016 01:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hombre
Well, I am not surprised. Anyway, thank you very much.
Is there any good book about the kukri?
I mean, to read and get information before buying the real deal.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

i sent you a PM.

some 'real' khuks of mine for comparison:

Hombre 2nd January 2016 12:37 PM

Thank you very much everyone! I really appreciate it!

Wayne, a special thank you, for you.
PM answered.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

kronckew 2nd January 2016 01:56 PM

you're welcome

mrcjgscott 2nd January 2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hombre
This must be typical tourist kukris right?
Grateful for any information at all.

Happy New Year!

Best,
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Welcome to the forum, and happy new year to you.

The other members have already confirmed your suspicions. Here is an old thread of mine you may find useful, it shows some of the variety that kukri have to offer.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20415

If you have any kukri related questions, I would be happy to answer them, either on the forum, or via PM.

Kind regards,

Chris

mrcjgscott 2nd January 2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
i sent you a PM.

some 'real' khuks of mine for comparison:

Some nice pieces there kronckew,

The bottom kukri in the first picture is very interesting, does the tang run the full length and width of the blade?

I remember the one in the bottom picture very well, a lovely old piece. I don't get jealous of much any more, but that one does make me a little green!

All the best,

Chris

BANDOOK 6th January 2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Yup!

And usually made in India.....

HI BATTARA,FOR ALMOST HUNDRED YEARS KUKRIS HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE FACTORIES IN BENARES,UTTAR PRADESH,AS QUALITY OF STEEL AND TECHNIQUES WERE IN DEMAND,ALSO THERE ARE 7 REGIMENTS OF GURKHA RIFLES IN INDIAN ARMY WHICH NEED THE KUKRIS ,INDIA HAS LARGEST CONTIGENT OF NEPALESE SOLDIERS IN THE ARMY. BEING A HINDU KINGDOM INDIA AND NEPAL ARE VERY CLOSE IN LANGUAGE DEFENCE AND CULTURE,KIND REGARDS RAJESH

kronckew 6th January 2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
Some nice pieces there kronckew,

The bottom kukri in the first picture is very interesting, does the tang run the full length and width of the blade?

I remember the one in the bottom picture very well, a lovely old piece. I don't get jealous of much any more, but that one does make me a little green!

All the best,

Chris

if you mean the 1st photo of a single salyan khuk with the decorated hanshee blade, the substantially wide tang runs the full length and is peened over a keeper on the pommel. they also are usually bedded in hot laha prior to peening it is not a chiruwa style full width tang with riveted on scales.

the bottom one in the group photo of 4 is indeed a chiruwa grip with steel riveted scales. the end of the tang also has two small stubs that go thru the steel pommel and peened. with the curve, it fits the hand perfectly. the blade is slightly hollowed down the centre to within about a half inch from the edge.

the 2nd from the top with the narrower blade and closed kaudi (cho) has a full length wide hidden tang with the end spilt into three 'branches, each peened over a small keeper on the but plate. the others are chiruwa, top has two fullers, it's an officer's model.

most older ones have a stub tang that does not go full length an is retained by burning into the grip to provide a tight fit and then using himalayan epoxy (laha, or a thermal cutler cement made from tree resin, dung, yak hair etc.) a rather smelly mix. nepalis figure a stub tang will last 20 years before needing replacement after heavy daily use. a full hidden and peened tang may last thirty, and a chiuwa one a few lifetimes.

sirupate 7th January 2016 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are tourist kukri Stefan, but a lot of collectors have started out with that type, here are some of my kukri