Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Go on... Show us your Jambiya!! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15008)

A.alnakkas 4th February 2012 01:07 AM

Go on... Show us your Jambiya!!

1 Attachment(s)
So, after inspiration from the previous topics I thought maybe a jambiya topic would be nice! here are mine, terrible picture cuz its late atm. More will come when there is light!

A.alnakkas 4th February 2012 01:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some detailed pictures :-)

The Jambiya with the cloth and silver is currently a working project and the black cloth part is temporary.

Battara 4th February 2012 03:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK......what the heck........Here are my only jambiya at present.

The top one is a Kurdish silver jambiya and the bottom one is an ivory and silver Turkish jambiya. Both have wootz.

kahnjar1 4th February 2012 04:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Wondered if someone might start this.............. :)
Here are a few, but you have seen these before over time.
Enjoy...............
Stu

Atlantia 4th February 2012 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jambiya and Khanjar?

TVV 4th February 2012 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are mine.

A.alnakkas 4th February 2012 08:51 PM

Nice one guys!

Speaking of khanjars.. I just came back from an antique shop and he had this wootz iraqi khanjar with silver scabbard and hilt decoration.. very beautiful. Too bad he sold it today before I came :/

Atlantia 4th February 2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Nice one guys!

Speaking of khanjars.. I just came back from an antique shop and he had this wootz iraqi khanjar with silver scabbard and hilt decoration.. very beautiful. Too bad he sold it today before I came :/

It happens to us all mate.
Just shows you are a seasoned collector now! ;)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th February 2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
Here are mine.

Salaams TVV ~ You show a 4 ringer Omani Khanjar amongst other daggers... Nice geometric floral patterns indicating Baatina manufacture since the entire scabbard is silver worked. :shrug: Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th February 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Jambiya and Khanjar?

Salaams Atlantia ~ For sure that is an Omani Khanjar at the top.Baatina coast. :shrug: Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th February 2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

So, after inspiration from the previous topics I thought maybe a jambiya topic would be nice! here are mine, terrible picture cuz its late atm. More will come when there is light!

Salaams A.alnakkas ~ There are two Khanjar looking weapons on the table ... The one on the far right of shot is indeed an Omani Khanjar(Baatina) but the other is a Saudia example, however, it has an Omani belt... :eek: You may wish to switch them. :shrug: Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

A.alnakkas 5th February 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams A.alnakkas ~ There are two Khanjar looking weapons on the table ... The one on the far right of shot is indeed an Omani Khanjar(Baatina) but the other is a Saudia example, however, it has an Omani belt... :eek: You may wish to switch them. :shrug: Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

LOL yep, thats an omani belt. But I bought it this way and have no idea how to remove it :/

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th February 2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

LOL yep, thats an omani belt. But I bought it this way and have no idea how to remove it :/

Salaams A.alnakkas ~ Just undo the holding buttons ~ normally flat wired on ~and refit to the proper job..Slowly does it.. :shrug:

Salaams Ibrahiim al Balooshi

kahnjar1 5th February 2012 09:39 PM

...and a few more

2 Attachment(s)
A few more, but as you can see the meerkat is always looking :D

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 6th February 2012 05:54 PM

Salaams Khanjar I ~If you want an appraisal as to where these daggers (THE KHANJAR SHAPES) are from I can give you that... some are UAE others Saudia and a couple from Oman. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

TVV 6th February 2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Salaams TVV ~ You show a 4 ringer Omani Khanjar amongst other daggers... Nice geometric floral patterns indicating Baatina manufacture since the entire scabbard is silver worked. :shrug: Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Thank you Ibrahim. The embroidery on the lower portion of the scabbard is with what looks like copper to me though.

Teodor

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 8th February 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
Thank you Ibrahim. The embroidery on the lower portion of the scabbard is with what looks like copper to me though.

Teodor

Salaams Teodor ~ It may be... or it may be gold wash.. Nice collection ! Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Atlantia 9th February 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Salaams Atlantia ~ For sure that is an Omani Khanjar at the top.Baatina coast. :shrug: Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Salutations Ibrahiim ;)

Thank you. It's the one we discussed before. You told me previously: "Lovely Omani Khanjar full of patina. Its comes from Sur the famous seafaring town south down the coast from Muscat."

Best
Gene

Devadatta 10th February 2012 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some jambiya among other daggers of my collection

Devadatta 10th February 2012 02:01 PM

That's also me :D

Devadatta 10th February 2012 02:03 PM

Recently added some things on the wall:

Devadatta 10th February 2012 02:05 PM

Pictures deleted; no hotlinks please .
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13647

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 10th February 2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Salutations Ibrahiim ;)

Thank you. It's the one we discussed before. You told me previously: "Lovely Omani Khanjar full of patina. Its comes from Sur the famous seafaring town south down the coast from Muscat."

Best
Gene

Salaams Gene~ Ah yes... I saw it in a different light. Ya from the original pictures I still think Sur. Nice. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Atlantia 10th February 2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Salaams Gene~ Ah yes... I saw it in a different light. Ya from the original pictures I still think Sur. Nice. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Thanks Ibrahiim,
As you can see though, I've not found any more to keep it company yet. :(

Atlantia 11th February 2012 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After it's initial clean up (removal of decades of polish residue) it looked a little 'bright'. The silver is starting to 'tone' now and looks much better.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 12th February 2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

After it's initial clean up (removal of decades of polish residue) it looked a little 'bright'. The silver is starting to 'tone' now and looks much better.

Salaams Atlantia ~ Salaams Atlantia ~ Ah yes indeed Sur ! No doubt about that.
On cleaning ~ You may have seen my notes on cleaning done at the makers using a strange berry and by burnishing...at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpost.php?p=129468&postcount=26 The locals just use a brass brush which sounds vicious but brass(often with a splash of water) is good as it only removes the silver oxide and polishes well. Toothpaste is good. In fact the daily wearing of this badge of office is often enough to keep it clean. Silvo polish is also excellent.

I believe that this is a classic design from Sur. :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Atlantia 14th February 2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Salaams Atlantia ~ Salaams Atlantia ~ Ah yes indeed Sur ! No doubt about that.
On cleaning ~ You may have seen my notes on cleaning done at the makers using a strange berry and by burnishing...at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpost.php?p=129468&postcount=26 The locals just use a brass brush which sounds vicious but brass(often with a splash of water) is good as it only removes the silver oxide and polishes well. Toothpaste is good. In fact the daily wearing of this badge of office is often enough to keep it clean. Silvo polish is also excellent.

I believe that this is a classic design from Sur. :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Greetings Ibrahiim,

If you are looking for something different to try on silver (that's very mild), then rub with newspaper (the type that turns your fingers black with print).
Unlike cream or liquid polishes it won't soak into the recesses and leave a chalky residue.

Thanks, I'm glad you like my Khanjar.

Best
Gene

Lew 14th February 2012 07:50 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are a few from my current collection. The real big one is no longer with me but it went to a good home. ;) Just a note on the small one at the top the blade is made of a finely forged tight pattern welded damascus steel with a beveled spine. Usually these daggers come with stamped out or ground down steel blade with some type of applied design.

Lew

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 16th February 2012 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Greetings Ibrahiim,

If you are looking for something different to try on silver (that's very mild), then rub with newspaper (the type that turns your fingers black with print).
Unlike cream or liquid polishes it won't soak into the recesses and leave a chalky residue.

Thanks, I'm glad you like my Khanjar.

Best
Gene

Salaams Gene ~ I was in the workshops last night and watched some silver being burnished. You may have seen my article on the use of Rita (good old Rita) the little red berry they burn and apply to silver to polish... and the other way of hard pressing or rolling the surface with a special tool to polish silver. Your reminder about newspaper is thoroughly excellent as well and I have used paper before with a bit of water it works too. The brass brush method is fast and economical as we often have 30 or more being cleaned up.
Here is Burnishing...

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.