Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Belatu/Balato from South Nias (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29812)

Sajen 14th April 2024 05:47 PM

Belatu/Balato from North Nias

3 Attachment(s)
I've won a German auction with a lot of two swords, a belatu from North Nias and a pedang from Sumatra. When the auction was finished I noticed in another, unsold lot the charm ball for the scabbard of the Nias balato. So I phoned and wrote to the auction house about it and they added the charm ball to the lot for free.
Here are the poor auction pictures.

Sajen 14th April 2024 05:52 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Here my own pictures from the belatu.

Sajen 14th April 2024 05:59 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More pics!

Like you can see, shows the scabbard a tribal repair and the handle shows an encrusted patination, both I want to preserve.

Sajen 14th April 2024 06:13 PM

The charm ball

11 Attachment(s)
The charm ball has alternating real teeth and wooden teeth. The real ones are socketed with wooden pegs. The charm ball fits the socket from the scabbard well.
The belatu was collected between 1970-1972 in Pematang-Siantar from a German who worked to this time on Sumatra.

asomotif 14th April 2024 09:14 PM

Hi Detlef,

What a great find, and with the amulet ball as a bonus.
super patina. I would not clean it too much. just preserve the blade.

Sajen 14th April 2024 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 290245)
Hi Detlef,

What a great find, and with the amulet ball as a bonus.
super patina. I would not clean it too much. just preserve the blade.

Hi Willem,

Thank you! :) I don't will remove any patina. But the blade will get cleaned but not polished, I only will remove rust and grease.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 15th April 2024 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One side of the blade is cleaned, done with a Japanese rust rubber, the metal parts got rubbed with a towel only and the wooden parts got rubbed with a towel and linseed oil, no patina got removed.

naturalist 15th April 2024 03:13 PM

Just curious with the pedang, what is the distinct characters with pedang lombok? The gajah mungkur hilt looks like pedang lombok.

Sajen 15th April 2024 03:16 PM

My small North Nias collection

2 Attachment(s)
My honest North Nias collection!

Sajen 15th April 2024 03:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalist (Post 290256)
Just curious with the pedang, what is the distinct characters with pedang lombok? The gajah mungkur hilt looks like pedang lombok.

For me it's mainly the scabbard construction with the horn throat, the blade shape and to a lesser degree the style of the carving and the embossing on the siver mounts. Compare with another Sumatran pedang.

Last picture shows from up to down:

pedang Lombok
pedang Sumatra
pedang Sumbawa

naturalist 15th April 2024 04:15 PM

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 290258)
For me it's mainly the scabbard construction with the horn throat, the blade shape and to a lesser degree the style of the carving and the embossing on the siver mounts. Compare with another Sumatran pedang.

Sajen 15th April 2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalist (Post 290261)
Thanks

You're welcome! :)