Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Iron mughal sheild (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25041)

RonHen 12th June 2019 03:56 AM

Iron mughal sheild

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Iron Indopersian sheild for comment. Around 18 inches with carved scenes of nobles doing whatever nobles did back then. Im thinking a parade sheild ? I was told it was pre 1900. Any thoughts?

Regards

Ron

ALEX 12th June 2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonHen
Hello,

Iron Indonesian sheild for comment. Around 18 inches with carved scenes of nobles doing whatever nobles did back then. Im thinking a parade sheild ? I was told it was pre 1900. Any thoughts?

Regards

Ron

Could it be Indo-Persian? Similar acid-etched 'revival' shields were/are produced in India. Although it looks like it in design, the motive is not common for Indo-Persian shields, so could be from elsewhere.

Kubur 12th June 2019 01:08 PM

This one is very easy
Iran Qajar and POST 1900...
:shrug:

RonHen 12th June 2019 02:08 PM

Re

1 Attachment(s)
Kubur

I found this picture of the sheild from a auction before it was put up for sale again from the website I purchased it from. Are these types still considered indo Persian?

Regards

Ron

Kubur 12th June 2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonHen
Kubur,

I found this picture of the sheild from a auction before it was put up for sale again from the website I purchased it from. Are these types still considered indo Persian?

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

Dealers call them Indo-Persian when they are unable to say if they are Persians or Indians. In fact they are Persians OR Indians. Nevertheless to add to the confusion, since the 16th c. Mughals had Persian artists working for them. Many objects were produced in Northern India with an Iranian/Persian style.
But for your shield there is nothing Indian in it and it has to be Persian.

Norman McCormick 12th June 2019 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Here's a steel Indian one, different style of decoration and chiseled rather than etched, ceremonial and probably Rajput.
Regards,
Norman.

Jim McDougall 12th June 2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
Here's a steel Indian one, different style of decoration and chiseled rather than etched, ceremonial and probably Rajput.
Regards,
Norman.

Excellent example Norman!!
These are indeed ceremonial items or 'parade' pieces, often used in 'durbars' or in such court contexts of gatherings, events etc. The fact that it is chiseled suggests of course probably either earlier 19th c. (possibly earlier) or of an artisan following early styles for a notable figure.
I would say with the sun on the boss, it is Rajput, and representing the Suryanvanshi clan (or of that lineage in sub clan) which is the Rajput clan of descent from Hindu sun god Surya.

With the Indo-Persian term, it seems that was a collective term used in describing many Indian items with the profound presence of Persian influence throughout northern Indian courts (primarily). As Kubur has noted, the presence of Persian artisans as well as melding of styles made in difficult to determine distinctly one from the other so Indo-Persian covered it.

The term Qajar, is often used in antique-speak to lend to antiquity in essence. By classifying an item 'Qajar era or dynasty' it sounds instantly of great antique character, but the dynasty ruled 1781-1925, so 'Qajar' sounds better than c. 1915.
Its like 'Qing' dynasty in Chinese, actually the rule was 1644-1911, so Qing sounds impressive, rather than actual date which might be 1910.

RonHen 13th June 2019 01:54 AM

Thanks all, very interesting comments and very educational. Really appreciate the input : ) That is s fantastic sheild Norman! This is my first sheild, so hopefully It was a a good pick up and not a modern reproduction. Does anyone know when acid etching became a way of creating designs on these sheilds?

Regards

Ron