Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   25th of March Greece independence day parade (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4361)

eftihis 2nd April 2007 10:36 AM

25th of March Greece independence day parade

2 Attachment(s)
Hallo,
Some photos after the parade in Chania,Crete from the celebrations from the revolution against the Turks. (National independance day)
BEst Regards from Crete

Flavio 2nd April 2007 10:59 AM

Beautiful!!!! Thank you very much :)

Mark 2nd April 2007 03:28 PM

The man standing in the middle of the front row - does he have a yatagan, knife and pistol in his sash? I can't see what the lighter colored triangle is below the yatagan, nor whether the lowermost item is a knife or a pistol. If its a knife, the grip looks almost like that of a kinjal.

Great photo.

Emanuel 2nd April 2007 03:59 PM

Wonderful picture! I'm somewhat surprised to see so many yataghans. Mark, I think the man in the middle has a pistol with bulbous butt, and the middle triangular shape is a Cretan knife.
Now are these weapons just replicas for dress/parade or are they antique weapons?

Emanuel

ariel 2nd April 2007 08:36 PM

Boys,
I think you are getting old : you are paying attention to some metal thingies whereas there are 3 rather stunning Cretan-ettes ( is it what they should be called?) right in the middle of the picture :D :D :D
Happy Independence Day!

Mark 2nd April 2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manolo
Wonderful picture! I'm somewhat surprised to see so many yataghans. Mark, I think the man in the middle has a pistol with bulbous butt, and the middle triangular shape is a Cretan knife.
Now are these weapons just replicas for dress/parade or are they antique weapons?

Emanuel

Now I see. I think his knife is turned so you get a top-down view rather than a profile.

Emanuel 2nd April 2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
Boys,
I think you are getting old : you are paying attention to some metal thingies whereas there are 3 rather stunning Cretan-ettes ( is it what they should be called?) right in the middle of the picture :D :D :D
Happy Independence Day!

Haha there are 4, not 3...but one isn't as eye catching as the others :D

sabertasche 3rd April 2007 03:28 PM

Ah Crete, I spent 2 weeks there in my youth (after university). I have photos but they are probably not appropriate for this forum .....maybe "German Girls Gone Wild"

:)

Greg

Yannis 4th April 2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabertasche
Ah Crete, I spent 2 weeks there in my youth (after university). I have photos but they are probably not appropriate for this forum .....maybe "German Girls Gone Wild"

:)

That is why some Cretans are talking for a new Independence Day :D

All men in photo have long yataghans and cretan knifes. Nice antique ones. Eftihis and his friends revive the tradition with costumes, dance and songs. Not for tourist show but for their own pleasure. I wish them the best. I love Crete myself.

General tip for visitors: Take care of the raki :D