Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Khyber Knife to share (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25845)

drac2k 28th April 2020 08:05 PM

Khyber Knife to share

7 Attachment(s)
I just picked this item up; I believe it to be an honest example of a khyber knife. The "T-back," blade measures 13.5" long. The handle girth is extremely wide as it measures at the pommel 1&7/8" x 2."This is considerably larger than my other khyber swords or knives.

David R 28th April 2020 10:31 PM

Not really a Khyber, more of a Pesh Kabz to my mind.

drac2k 28th April 2020 11:19 PM

Thank you; I stand corrected.

Kubur 28th April 2020 11:38 PM

Not honest! you have a very beautiful Persian karud
karud or pesh kabz... i don't know...
;)

russel 29th April 2020 12:22 AM

Yes, that's a really nice example. Most likely wootz.

ariel 29th April 2020 12:35 AM

Yes, it is not a selavah ( aka Khyber Knife , aka Salavar Yataghan), but a straightbladed Pesh Kabz, popular in NW India, Afghanistan and Central Asia.

Colloquially known to modern collectors as “ karud” due to Stone’s reliance on the gullible ( and likely, tin) ear of Henri Moser.

It is a good and old one. Ivory handle steers it more toward India. It has collection markings on the handle; would be nice to know their meaning but I am afraid it is no longer possible. Just in case ask the seller about the provenance.

Battara 29th April 2020 02:08 AM

It once also had a finial piece and perhaps even a tassel on the end of the hilt.

I agree with Russel - probably a wootz blade.

drac2k 29th April 2020 03:28 AM

Thank you, gentlemen, for your observations and kind words; it was won at an auction, stuck in randomly among many dissimilar things and thus, unfortunately, there was no history. Fortunately, it was stuck in randomly among many dissimilar things and that was how I was able to win it.

mahratt 29th April 2020 10:46 AM

Very nice dagger. My congratulations. As mentioned above, not a Khyber knife. This is Karud

In 1860, long before Henry Moser and Stone, the term "Karud" was used by Florian Antonovich Gille.

It's funny to talk about "colloquial speech of collectors." The term "Karud" was used not only by Florian Antonovich Gille and Henry Moser, but also by the well-known collector Buttin (Book: Catalogue de la Collection d'Armes Anciennes, Europeennes et Orientates), scientists: Rudolf Zeller (Book: Die orientalische Sammlung von Henri Moser auf Charlottenfels im Historischen Museum in Bern) and Torben Flindt (Book: Islamic Arms and Armour), Antoni Romuald Chodyński (Book: Persian and Indo-Persian weapons of the 16th-19th century from Polish collections), .
And in general it is strange to say "straightbladed Pesh Kabz" when there is a name "Karud". It’s the same as saying the "curved Caucasian dagger Kama”, instead of simply saying “Bebut”))))

drac2k 29th April 2020 03:12 PM

Thank you.