Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mandau for identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29680)

Pertinax 28th February 2024 05:46 PM

Mandau for identification

12 Attachment(s)
This is the first mandau in my collection, unfortunately the scabbard is missing.

Total length – 710 mm, blade length – 545 mm, blade thickness at the handle – 9 mm, weight – 672 g

Any information or comments regarding age, type, tribe, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards, Yuri

kai 2nd March 2024 12:38 AM

That's a tough one, Yuri!

The blade seems to have good age and needs some TLC; the later attached chain was probably for hanging the piece on a wall?

Regards,
Kai

Pertinax 2nd March 2024 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai (Post 289192)
That's a tough one, Yuri!

The blade seems to have good age and needs some TLC; the later attached chain was probably for hanging the piece on a wall?

Regards,
Kai

Thanks Kai

I’m slowly putting the blade in order; when I’m finished, I’ll post a photo. I don’t know for what purpose the chain was attached, perhaps it was some kind of whim of the previous owner.

Regards, Yuri

Pertinax 4th March 2024 04:11 PM

12 Attachment(s)
I cleaned the blade of dirt (without fanaticism), I will not carry out a deeper cleaning. After cleaning, a notch appeared on the butt of the blade.

The plane of the blade, concave on the left side and slightly convex on the right, is made for a right-handed person.

In my opinion, the item is quite old, I can’t determine it more precisely, my knowledge is not enough.

kai 5th March 2024 08:41 PM

Hello Yuri,

The blade is coming out nicely! Seems good quality to me.

I don't see much wear and this makes estimating age hard. The Borneo crowd tends to be really conservative with age estimates - let's see who is also willing to chime in.

Regards,
Kai

Pertinax 5th March 2024 09:19 PM

Hello Kai

Thanks for the comment.

Yes, the blade is of good quality and very well made. There is not much wear, perhaps it was a family heirloom and was kept at home.

Regards, Yuri

naturalist 1st April 2024 03:54 AM

IMHO, most likely from East Kalimantan.. Kenyah complex presumably

Pertinax 1st April 2024 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalist (Post 289955)
IMHO, most likely from East Kalimantan.. Kenyah complex presumably

Thank you very much naturalist for the information.

Pertinax 7th April 2024 09:08 PM

Mandau-2

12 Attachment(s)
Mandau-2 arrived in a sheath from the seller Mandau-1, unfortunately, the nju knife is missing.

Total length – 560 mm, blade length – 410 mm, blade thickness at the handle – 5 mm, weight – 337 g

The new sword is significantly smaller in size and weight than the Mandau-1. Steel on the blade, forging and processing of lower quality.

The handle may have been made by Kenya.

Comments are welcome.

Regards, Yuri

Pertinax 7th April 2024 09:21 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Sheath

A. G. Maisey 8th April 2024 01:31 AM

I am not expert in this field, however, using Sellato as my reference I believe the hilt can be attributed to Kenyah origin.

Pertinax 8th April 2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey (Post 290104)
I am not expert in this field, however, using Sellato as my reference I believe the hilt can be attributed to Kenyah origin.

Thank you A. G. Maisey :)

naturalist 9th April 2024 01:48 AM

There is a place in East Kalimantan, in around Samarinda where many people are working to make "mandau" for tourists.
Many are from Java. They are not really follow the each tribes identity that is reflected in the carving on the hilt and sheath. They just do what look likes Dayak's carving style.

I am no expert but i have been wandering around in Borneo in the last 20 years, been in the remote areas from West to East Kalimantan for ecological-anthropological research and environmental programs. For me the second mandau bit off, it seems the carving on the hilt is different origin from the carving on the sheath.

Pertinax 9th April 2024 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey (Post 290104)

For me the second mandau bit off, it seems the carving on the hilt is different origin from the carving on the sheath.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, naturalist, for the information

I also had doubts about the scabbard, especially since it is much larger in size than the sword. After I carefully examined the two mandau, I realized that the seller had inserted the mandau-2 into the sheath of the mandau-1 in order to make more profit.

I sheathed the Mandau-1, the color and hair design matched 100%, here is the result:

Pertinax 9th April 2024 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Who has information, tell me what could be in this place? d 15 mm

Regards, Yuri

kai 9th April 2024 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pertinax (Post 290143)
what could be in this place?

Usually a coin, Yuri

Regards,
Kai

Pertinax 10th April 2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai (Post 290144)
Usually a coin, Yuri

Regards,
Kai

Thank you kai

What kind of coins were usually inserted by local or Dutch ones?

Regards, Yuri

Pendita65 10th April 2024 09:00 AM

Hello Yuri,

i checked the Dutch coins from the nineteenth century and the only one that fits 15 mm is a Dubbeltje (10 cents) they where made in silver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbeltje

I also checked the coin sizes from the VOC but they where larger and even the coins from Indonesia during the Dutch era see the picture here it is 1/10 of a Guilder.

Maybe this might be a clue.

Regards, Martin

Pendita65 10th April 2024 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photograph of a dubbeltje from the Dutch in Indonesia. this coin is 15 mm in size

Pertinax 10th April 2024 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendita65 (Post 290150)
Here is the photograph of a dubbeltje from the Dutch in Indonesia. this coin is 15 mm in size

Thanks, Martin, for very valuable information. :)

Regards, Yuri

David 11th April 2024 03:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These were not always Dutch coins. While i am not sure of the exact origins of this one it is also 15mm. Maybe someone here can identify this coin.

Pertinax 11th April 2024 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 290172)
These were not always Dutch coins. While i am not sure of the exact origins of this one it is also 15mm. Maybe someone here can identify this coin.

Hi David

This is the reverse of the coin -Netherlands India 1/10 guilder

Regards, Yuri

David 11th April 2024 08:43 PM

Excellent Yuri, thank you! I had no idea. Looks like a dead ringer. Dutch it is then. ;)