Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   African spear, but from where exactly? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5581)

TVV 28th November 2007 06:16 AM

African spear, but from where exactly?

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys, I try to avoid buying things that I do not know, but every once in a while it happens, and I need your help.

I bought this spear initially thinking the crosses on its tip were a representation of the cross of Agadez, but the more I look at it, the more I think there is nothing Tuareg about it. The Tuareg ones I have seen are the whole made of iron, and the blade shape is different, not to mention their lower ends finish into a spatula, and this one has a spike. The length is 6'3", or 190 cm.

My best guess is Ethiopian of recent manufacture, but I cannot find anything in Spring to confirm it. :shrug: So what do you say?

Thanks,

Teodor

Dom 28th November 2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
I bought this spear initially thinking the crosses on its tip were a representation of the cross of Agadez, but the more I look at it, the more I think there is nothing Tuareg about it. r

you are correct, that cross has nothing from Agadez shape, the design is too clear to risk any misinterpretation :shrug:

just a "track",
as basic rule, Muslims are repugnant to have any mark, design, form reminder for them a Christian sign

"you guess that should be Ethiopian may be of recent manufacture", it's a possibility, because that country has a very large Christian community since many century, but in Africa should not be the only one .... :confused:
but definitively very few chance from a country mainly muslim :p

à +

Dom

VANDOO 28th November 2007 03:42 PM

ETHIOIAN POSSIBLY PRE WW2. IF IT IS ALL METAL WITH A SOCKET IT MAY BE A LANCE HEAD, THE PIERECED CROSS DESIGN IS COMMON ON THESE. SOME OF THE LANCE HEADS ARE VERY LONG I HAVE 2 AND BOTH ARE OVER 5 FOOT LONG. THE TWO I HAVE WERE FROM WW2 AND IT IS SAID THE ETHIOPIANS USED THEM AGAINST THE ITALIANS AND WOULD EVEN ATTACK TANKS WITH THEM "TO NO AVAIL" . THE USE OF DETACHABLE LANCE POINTS IS NOT UNUSUAL BUT SOME OF THESE FROM ETHIOPIA ARE THE LONGEST IN MY EXPERIENCE I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TOTAL LEGNTH WOULD BE WITH THE WOODEN SHAFT. I JUST LOOKED AT YOUR POST AGAIN AND IF IT HAS A SPIKE AT THE OTHER END IT MAY BE A THROWING SPEAR AND NOT A LANCE HEAD ,CHECK THE BALANCE AND WEIGHT FOR THROWING.
THE TWO LANCE HEADS I HAVE CAN ALSO BE THROWN AS WELL AS MOUNTED ON A LANCE BUT WOULD BE FOR SHORT THROWS ONLY.

TVV 29th November 2007 06:19 AM

Dom and Barry, thank you very much!

roanoa 29th November 2007 03:22 PM

Hi. The spear is Ethiopian. I am very confused by what VANDOO about his Ethiopian spears. I'd like to see a picture posted. I have a feeling that the spears are actually Masai. NEVER seen or heard of Ethiopian spear heads being over 5 feet long.