Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Thai Siam Ivory paper knife Buddhist (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29435)

phil.reid 14th December 2023 03:02 AM

Thai Siam Ivory paper knife Buddhist

5 Attachment(s)
Well it's not really a blade but the handles just so pretty, blown away by the carving of the temple guard inside the handle.

Sajen 14th December 2023 06:13 AM

Hello Phil,

That's not a paper knife but a betel cutting knife, most probably from Thailand. A very beautiful one!:cool:

Regards,
Detlef

phil.reid 14th December 2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 286860)
Hello Phil,

That's not a paper knife but a betel cutting knife, most probably from Thailand. A very beautiful one!:cool:

Regards,
Detlef

!!!!!!!! the blades a slivers of Ivory, I'd assumed it was for turning pages, cant see how it could be used for cutting betel nuts unless it's just a decorative piece.

fernando 14th December 2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil.reid (Post 286866)
...cant see how it could be used for cutting betel nuts...

Ditto :o.

Gavin Nugent 14th December 2023 01:53 PM

A nice old letter opener by the looks... it isn't going to cut much else, it would be lucky to pull the skin of custard.

The pieces are artistically and culturally correct, but I can't help but feel they are a marriage of different pieces.
For sure paper knives like this exist, I only question the unusual angle at the forte and the obvious modern glue fixing the blade.

Potentially, and just thinking out loud, right or wring, perhaps once a full sliver of ivory including an integral hilt was the paper knife and it may have been melded into part of a defunct silverware set or similar.

David 14th December 2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

!!!!!!!! the blades a slivers of Ivory, I'd assumed it was for turning pages, cant see how it could be used for cutting betel nuts unless it's just a decorative piece.

I agree. I also can't see how it could be used as a weapon, so i believe regardless of its beauty, this one belongs in the Miscellaneous Forum. ;)

fernando 14th December 2023 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 286870)
I agree. I also can't see how it could be used as a weapon, so i believe regardless of its beauty, this one belongs in the Miscellaneous Forum. ;)

So it goes !

Rick 14th December 2023 07:47 PM

I'm a bit suspicious about that Ivory handle; all those dark flecks in the material make me wonder if it is bone.

David 14th December 2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 286875)
I'm a bit suspicious about that Ivory handle; all those dark flecks in the material make me wonder if it is bone.

I tend to agree. The blade may be ivory, but the hilt looks like bone to me. Beautifully carved bone at that. ;)

Ian 14th December 2023 11:57 PM

David and Rick, I think the hilt has to be ivory. The carved figure within the finely carved "cage" indicates a solid interior, which is inconsistent with a bony structure.

Gavin Nugent 15th December 2023 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 286875)

Quite possible to be antler.

Ian 15th December 2023 03:42 AM

Gav, even less likely to be antler (another form of bone). Antlers have a very "spongy" interior as a result of their rapid growth. This is elephant ivory.

The marks are the result of oil from peoples hands and dirt. Gentle washing with soap and water would remove it (not that I recommend washing it).

I've owned a few of these and they all had ivory blades and hilts. This one is a very nice example.

Rick 15th December 2023 05:00 AM

Can I see some examples of ivory that discolors and looks semi porous please?
Could it be mildew perhaps? :confused:

phil.reid 15th December 2023 05:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks gentlemen, yes I'd assumed it was for turning pages as per the European patterns. The item itself is fairly large, roughly 40cm long all up.

Sajen 18th December 2023 01:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Sorry Phil,

I've thought that it has an iron blade! :D

But it remains strongly to a Thai betel knife shown in "Betelschneider" from Henry Brownrigg , see attached pictures. Anyway, your paper knife is a beauty!

Regards,
Detlef

Battara 19th December 2023 11:16 PM

I too vote for Ivory. The carving is astounding!