Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Uncoventional Bali Sarong (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1736)

nechesh 8th January 2006 10:58 PM

Uncoventional Bali Sarong

3 Attachment(s)
All you other State side keris collectors have probably experienced the same problems when it comes to getting a new sheath for an undressed keris. Sometimes we worry about sending blades back overseas and then there is the time, cost and two-way postage as well. I thought i would give a local a try, in this case a Swedish-American hobbyist wood worker. I lent him some books and this is what he came up with. It's not exactly traditional, but i think it's beginning to grow on me. :)
This project was a bit more than my friend had bargained for. Before anyone asks, he swore he would never try to make another one again. :D

Raja Muda 9th January 2006 01:04 AM

New Warangka

Hi Nechesh,

I must say your friend's effort is commendable. Even in Malaysia, where the indigenous sarung forms are slightly different from Javanese ones, I have encountered a few improvised sandang walikat style warangka like yours, made by craftsmen from Kelantan and Terengganu unfamiliar with the style.
The other option would have been to refit the blade into an existing sarung, though the mouth might need to be enlarged or modified etc, not an option preferred by some people.
One thing that has worked for me though was to either give the craftsman an original sarung to be copied, or at least schematic drawings with correct measurements for the piece. I can also understand that sourcing the right kind of wood is also problematic (it is the same case here, kemuning is becoming a bit rare these days, though sena wood is somewhat plentiful, if you're willing to chop down trees planted by the municipal authorities :D ).
Have you ever thought of exploring the mail order option i.e getting an Balinese craftsman to work on it based on an outline drawing of your keris blade?

nechesh 9th January 2006 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Hi Nechesh,
Have you ever thought of exploring the mail order option i.e getting an Balinese craftsman to work on it based on an outline drawing of your keris blade?

I actually tried that once and finally gave up after i never received any reply after sending the outlines.
Certainly the lines are all wrong on this one and the wood is not traditional. Whats more, the friend who made this is not really a carver as much as a wood turner. Mostly he makes really nice wooden pens. So given that i think he made an admirable attempt (actually more than one attempt. He had to scrape the first try.)
I have no problem with refitting an old sheath, especially if the original mouth is smaller and the refit can be done to look original, but finding an old sheath here in the U.S. is almost as difficult as finding a carver. :)