Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keris for comment. Part 3 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20855)

GIO 16th December 2015 10:32 AM

Keris for comment. Part 3

7 Attachment(s)
Very sorry. I had problems in resizing the photos.
Trying again.

David 16th December 2015 11:20 PM

Gio, i'm going to eliminate your other threads on this subject with the missing and under-sized photos.
Looks like a nice Bugis keris to me... :)

Jean 17th December 2015 08:12 PM

Yes, it looks a nice Bugis kris from Malaysia or East Sumatra with full pamor pattern Timpalaja (roof ridge)/ Tebba Jampu (similar to Ngulit Semangka)/ Teppobaja (Wengkon) according to the Sulawesi names. :)
Best regards

GIO 18th December 2015 11:41 AM

Many thanks David and Jean

GIO 18th December 2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Yes, it looks a nice Bugis kris from Malaysia or East Sumatra with full pamor pattern Timpalaja (roof ridge)/ Tebba Jampu (similar to Ngulit Semangka)/ Teppobaja (Wengkon) according to the Sulawesi names. :)

Jean, you mean it is a "tiga warna" pamor ? I thought it could be a "dwi warna" (ujung gunung & ngulit semangka).
By the way, I have no idea of what a timpalaja pamor looks like. Maybe similar to ujung gunung ?
Many thanks for your kind advice.
Giovanni

Sajen 18th December 2015 05:39 PM

Very nice keris Gio, congrats. Agree with Jean about the origin but would guess that it is a Sumatra/Straits Bugis keris.
Great work regarding the pendokok, very well done. I personally would give the scabbard back it's buntut.

Regards,
Detlef

GIO 18th December 2015 05:59 PM

..... I personally would give the scabbard back it's buntut
Detlef[/QUOTE]

Done already

Jean 18th December 2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIO
Jean, you mean it is a "tiga warna" pamor ? I thought it could be a "dwi warna" (ujung gunung & ngulit semangka).
By the way, I have no idea of what a timpalaja pamor looks like. Maybe similar to ujung gunung ?
Many thanks for your kind advice.
Giovanni

Dear Gio,
As I said the names I gave are those apparently used in Sulawesi (refer to the Bugis kris book if you have it). Yes, Pamor Timpalala is the triangular motif at the base, and there is a clear Teppobaja/ Wengkon frame.
Regarding the buntunt at the tip of the scabbard: if there was a hole, you did well to add a buntut but if the tip of the scabbard was closed, it means that it was the original design (it seems common in Malaysia)

Best regards

GIO 20th December 2015 08:59 AM

Jean, thanks for clarifying. In fact I do not have the book on Bugis keris.
Best regards
Gio