Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Ebay Find (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16200)

Robert 9th October 2012 04:01 AM

New Ebay Find

11 Attachment(s)
Nothing real exciting but this Visayan plamingko is still a nice little item. Not sure of the age of this piece and the blade is a V grind and not the chisel grind that I would expect from an item from this region. Any and all information on this piece would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Robert

Lew 9th October 2012 12:55 PM

Rob

Very nice find :). Probably Visayan circa 1935-45?

Robert 9th October 2012 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Lew. and thank you for your thoughts on this. I was thinking 1920/!940 so at least I was close on my estimate of age. Is it normal for these to have this style of blade profile? Most Visayan items that I have seen seem to have chisel ground blades. There is another almost identical to this one that was posted by Zelbone located in this thread http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ight=plamingko that he states to be "a really old old bolo of the "plamenko" form" that looks to be about 16 inches in length while the one I have posted is only 11 inches in length. I only have two of these and the other has a completely different hilt style and no scabbard banding. It though has the more traditional chisel ground blade with a very plain horn hilt. I have added a picture of the knife itself below for comparison. I will add another picture later that will show the scabbard as I do not have one at the moment that has the tape that was wrapped around it removed. Thanks again.

Robert

Sajen 9th October 2012 05:41 PM

Nice little knife! :) I every time have thought that I am good by find ebay sleepers but you are better! :D Haven't seen this one.

Best,

Detlef

Robert 9th October 2012 11:46 PM

Thank you for your kind words Detlef. If it were not for sleepers I'm afraid that I would not be able to add very many new items to my collection. This little gem went for for less than a trip to McDonald's for just myself and the wife would have been. :D

Best,
Robert

Bangkaya 10th October 2012 03:57 AM

Hello,
The Ilonggo plamenko is almost always double-beveled or V-ground. It is rare to find one that is chisel ground. This is due to the nature of the plamenko and its original intended use as a large general purpose knife with a broad blade. The Ilonggo plamenko and its cousin the Akeanon sanduko (not to be confused with the sanduko sword of Capiz) are highly regarded as general purpose knives/weapons throughout Panay. You will see more of these in markets used to cut vegetables, butcher meat, and slice fish. As a weapon, it is used mainly for thrusting.

The other knife you pictured is not a plamenko, but rather a left-handed kutsilyo since the blade is chisel-ground and also not broad enough to be classified as a plamenko. The hilt also lacks the typical knob pommel of the larger plamenko.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bangkaya

Robert 10th October 2012 06:55 PM

Bangkaya, Thank you very much for the correct name of the second knife that I have posted above. It is always been a difficult task for me to decide what exactly to call most Philippine edged weapons. :confused: So when someone can place a name on any of the new ones that I acquire "and cannot find an example exactly like it to help in itsidentificationn" it is always of great help and sincerely appreciated. I would then assume that the kutsilyo would be another form of general utility knife like the plamingko ? Again thank you for your help and I would also like to add, welcome to the forum.

Regards,
Robert

Bangkaya 10th October 2012 07:59 PM

Hello Robert,
Kutsilyo is the Filipino-bastardized term for the Spanish cuchillo....or knife. So you are correct that it's just a plain utility knife. Your example is fine typical example of an Ilonggo "kutsilyo." A few years ago while strolling through a palenke (market) in Iloilo, I ran across a vendor selling bladed tools and weapons. Out of curiosity, I pointed to a knife similar to yours and asked him what he called it. His reply was "kutsilyo" as well as several onlookers. He also pointed out a plamenko, a binangon, and a ginunting to me as well. Later on when I was in Makato, Aklan I also asked a vendor in a palanke the same question to his wares. Pointing to a similar knife I was expecting a different name, but he too said it was a "kutsilyo." I now make a habit of this when I visit different palenkes throughout the Philippines to see any regional and linguistic differences. But it seems "kutsilyo" is the most poplular term for a knife throughout the islands. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Regards,
Bangkaya

carlos 25th October 2012 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another similar yours, i bought ir years ago in Ebay.
best regards
carlos

Robert 26th October 2012 06:31 AM

Hello Carlos, Yes this is very similar to the one that I have posted in everything but the hilt. I can honestly say that I have never seen a hilt style like the one that your plamingko has before.:confused: Very nice, now I will have to see if I can find one like it for my own collection. :D Thank you for posting such an interesting item for comparison.

Regards,
Robert