Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   another wild card, Tibetan I think comments and ID help appreciated. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29698)

Kmaddock 4th March 2024 08:56 AM

another wild card, Tibetan I think comments and ID help appreciated.

7 Attachment(s)
Hi

I am slowly been give the opportunity to purchase an old collection and this came my way on Saturday along with some other items I will post later.

The collection has been neglected, but it seems to be good items put together with a good collectors eye.

I think this is Tibetan? or that region am I correct.

V sturdy sword, blade 20 inches long and has a nice central ridge
Handle and guard are made of Brass and are filthy dirty but I don't really clean things that i acquire.

Might be missing a part on the grip where there was some wrap or something around the central core.

Blade is not hugely flexible but had a good edge.

The

Changdao 4th March 2024 09:45 AM

It is the first time that I see something like this. The blade especially, and the overall proportions look like a tuanlian jian. The shape of the pommel and handguard are similar to those on some Ming jian, but the grip is puzzling, with the crown shaped ornamentation.

To me it looks more Chinese than Tibetan, but I really don't know for sure.

It looks like a nice piece, overall.

RAMBA 4th March 2024 11:28 AM

Don't think it is from Tibet.

Kmaddock 4th March 2024 11:46 AM

Thank you both for interest.
With the round guard I taught Tibetan region but I don't know.
I cant find anything similar though
Regards,
Ken

kai 5th March 2024 08:35 PM

Not my area of expertise, so take with a big lump of salt: This grip section (as well as crossguard) doesn't look neither East Asian nor Himalayan to me.

Any chance, this might be African instead?

Regards,
Kai

Ian 9th March 2024 03:16 AM

I had the same thought as kai--perhaps African.

Sajen 9th March 2024 10:01 PM

Could it be an very old Gaelic sword?;)

ausjulius 7th April 2024 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmaddock (Post 289237)
Hi

I am slowly been give the opportunity to purchase an old collection and this came my way on Saturday along with some other items I will post later.

The collection has been neglected, but it seems to be good items put together with a good collectors eye.

I think this is Tibetan? or that region am I correct.

V sturdy sword, blade 20 inches long and has a nice central ridge
Handle and guard are made of Brass and are filthy dirty but I don't really clean things that i acquire.

Might be missing a part on the grip where there was some wrap or something around the central core.

Blade is not hugely flexible but had a good edge.

The

i would confidently say it is from west africa.