Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spear / lance (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18341)

danny1976 25th March 2014 05:05 PM

Spear / lance

4 Attachment(s)
This is the other lance i picked up .

Also in Holland for at least 50 years .
Total length is 1.85 m. Imo it is short but the shaft isn,t shortend so i supose the length is original.

But the origin :confused: The first thing that raised in my brains was Nias but that is just a wild quess.. Hope someone has a idea .

regards,

Danny

VANDOO 25th March 2014 05:34 PM

YOU HAVE BEEN LUCKY TWO VERY NICE SPEARS AT ONE TIME. :D I CAN'T BE OF MUCH HELP HERE EITHER BUT I WOULD SAY NIAS IS LIKELY A GOOD GUESS. THE PATINA IS GOOD ON THIS SPEAR AS WELL AS THE OTHER ONE AND I WOULD GUESS BOTH SPEARS WERE OLD WHEN AQUIRED BY THE COLLECTER YOU GOT THEM FROM. CONGRADULATIONS :cool:

Albert 25th March 2014 06:08 PM

Nice!

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations with this find! Very nice indeed. I had my eyes on the lot, but the photo's were too bad to make a decision. I am looking forward to the other two.

This one indeed makes me think of Nias, but not quite.
See the photo of several Nias spears (Modigliani collection, Florence, Italy).

I think this one is from Aceh, Sumatra.
The base of the blade (covered with brass instead of in one piece with the rest of the iron blade) is exceptional.

Sajen 25th March 2014 08:42 PM

Great catch! :eek:

asomotif 25th March 2014 11:11 PM

Hi Danny,

The upper part of the shaft, is it oxagonal ? (eight flattened sides ?)

Best regards,
Willem

asomotif 28th March 2014 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ps. here a Atjeh lance with similar shape.

danny1976 28th March 2014 11:18 PM

Everybody thanks for the reply's and the photo's !

Albert you are right that the photo's from the seller where not realy good but i'm glad that i did take the gamble :)
If i have time this weekend i Wil make photo's from the other two spears that where in the same lot .

Thanks Sajen !

Vandoo , yea the have great patin and the don't come from a collector what i always considers as something good . The seller did get this spears from his father when he was still a boy and the last 20+ years the just stand in a corner of his garage .

Willem the upper part of the shaft is not oxagonal , nice spear on youre photo is the length also around 1.85 ?

Regards,

asomotif 30th March 2014 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by danny1976
Willem the upper part of the shaft is not oxagonal , nice spear on youre photo is the length also around 1.85 ?

Hello Danny,

My example is 1.70 m. But it looks like it has been slightly longer in the past.

asomotif 4th February 2022 08:45 PM

Another atjeh aceh lance spear

6 Attachment(s)
Last week I was lucky enough to buy an rare atjeh lance.
I was wondering where I had seen this type before. Well on the forum ofcourse :-)
I bought it from the son of the person who brought it to the Netherlands in 1923.

Maurice 5th February 2022 10:25 AM

Congratz Willem with your nice find.

Are the protrusions in between the brass sleeve and the lancehead a silver alloy or silver?

- Maurice -

kai 5th February 2022 03:19 PM

Nice example, Willem!

Quote:

Are the protrusions in between the brass sleeve and the lancehead a silver alloy or silver?
Hello Maurice,

I'd guess at brass or bronze. It does have a different hue but does not strike me as silver alloy...

Regards,
Kai

Battara 5th February 2022 09:24 PM

After closer examination of the photo, I'm agreeing with Kai - bronze, more likely brass based on the color of the different patinas and types of patinas.

asomotif 5th February 2022 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 269623)
Congratz Willem with your nice find.

- Maurice -

Hello Maurice, nice to see you on the forum again.

It has a brass colour, but It was quite easy to get it shining.

Best regards,
Willem

efrahjalt 6th February 2022 04:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Danny,

That is a beautiful piece you have, a treasure. Thank you for posting.

I picked this one up a while back and have been meaning to do some more research on it. I knew that it must be SE Asia, but I wasn't sure where exactly it should be placed. Your post has given me a big head start so thought I would share here to add to the discussion. Looks like I should be looking at Ache.

Can you tell what type of wood the haft is? I just picked up another that I believe is Moro and it has a lovely tapered haft of palm wood (2.26M total length). I wouldn't mind giving this one a new haft at some point, but if I do I want to do it with an appropriate wood.

asomotif 6th February 2022 04:48 PM

Hello Efrahjalt,

That is definately an atjeh spear head you have there.
The example that I posted has a sort of rottan as a shaft.
But that is not very common.
Most atjeh lances I have seen have a dark hardwood shaft.

Best regards,
Willem

Ren Ren 6th February 2022 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 269657)
The example that I posted has a sort of rottan as a shaft.
But that is not very common.
Most atjeh lances I have seen have a dark hardwood shaft.

Thank you, Willem!
I was very interested to learn about the shaft made of rottan. The natural materials used to make traditional weapons in Southeast Asia is a very exciting area for me.
Sincerely
Serge

Maurice 7th February 2022 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 269640)
Hello Maurice, nice to see you on the forum again.

It has a brass colour, but It was quite easy to get it shining.

Best regards,
Willem

Thank you Willem.
Very nice!

Kind regards,
Maurice

Sajen 7th February 2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif (Post 269612)
Last week I was lucky enough to buy an rare atjeh lance.
I was wondering where I had seen this type before. Well on the forum ofcourse :-)
I bought it from the son of the person who brought it to the Netherlands in 1923.

Hello Willem,

Very nice spear! Are the pictures from the family of the person who brought it to the Netherlands?

Regards,
Detlef

asomotif 7th February 2022 07:37 PM

Hello Detlef, The picture of the SS Insulinde is from internet.

The poor pictures of the spear are with my smartphone :)