Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My second keris :) (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23490)

shayde78 27th December 2017 03:41 AM

My second keris :)

6 Attachment(s)
HI everyone,

I've recently met my second keris, and would love information. I believe it is Javan. Possible pelat wood sarong? I recognize the need for a good polish to reveal the pamour, but wanted to share with the folks here so I may learn more.

Thanks, everyone!

Henk 27th December 2017 01:03 PM

A nice worn keris solo.
Clean the mendak and the pendok. Clean the wooden parts as well. Oil the blade slightly with keris oil. This fellow deserves it.

Nice second aqcuisition.

rasdan 28th December 2017 06:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Shayde,

Thanks for sharing your keris. I don't have much to say, but the wood looks like timoho to me; it's just that there is not much pattern (what people refer to as pelet I presume) on the wood.

The blade looks quite old and it definitely needs a loving care. Just clean the blade with the usual coconut water soak and if you have warangan, stain it afterwards. Then, oil (preferable scented) the blade and cover it with plastic sleeve or wrap.

I like this keris, however to be able to further appreciate the beauty of this keris, the photos of the blade needs to be well lit and in the right orientation as if we are holding it with our right hand and also perfect right angle to the blade - to see the blade profile and angle - Unless you wanted to show the depth of the blumbangan or the sogokan. Otherwise we can't see much. Please forgive me, I have taken the liberty of re-orientating your photo to show the correct view. The second photo (in a clearer photo) is needed to see the sorsoran of the blade which is crucial.

shayde78 1st January 2018 04:43 AM

Thank you for the informative feedback :)
I will work on taking more clear pictures to post soon.

I lucked out with this piece as the seller listed it as a 'wooden sword' because the blade was bent and stuck in the sarong. I had to bid sight unseen.

One thing I noticed is how much lighter this is than my first keris . Is there often such variation in weight??

Athanase 1st January 2018 11:55 PM

Yes it is common, for the same dapur, blades can have been conceived more or less thick or strong. Besides, here your blade received many bath of acid, what made him lose some material and the lighter even more.

rasdan 2nd January 2018 12:45 AM

I have weighed some of my Javanese kerises, but only roughly as I didn't remove the hilts before weighing. The lightest keris I have is around 140 gm while the heaviest almost 400 gm. Yes the lightest one are heavily corroded, I estimated the corrosion is around 30% tops.

However, if we add back that 30% lost material into the keris it will still be very light compared to the ones that are less corroded (presumably newer ones). So I think older keris not only are lighter because of the erosion, but it was light even when it was new. The reasons are probably the smaller size and material used.

But it doesn't mean that it is an ineffective weapon when it was new, a blade weighing around 200 gm is effective enough especially when considering the type of attire people use in those days.

shayde78 21st January 2018 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayde78
One thing I noticed is how much lighter this is than my first keris . Is there often such variation in weight??

So I finally got around to weighing these two keris. The naga keris I linked to above weighs in at 200g/7oz. The keris solo featured on this thread weighs 150g/5oz. The lighter one is also the longer of the two. They both have about the same degree of loss to the blade material. Essentially, the naga is just a much beefier blade all around. As these represent both the first and second keris I have ever seen and/or handled in person, I was not aware there could be that much variation.
I am starting to appreciate how different it is to touch these objects, rather than simply see in pictures in books or online.