Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   French weapon of the 17th century. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27433)

Lansquenet59 11th November 2021 12:08 PM

French weapon of the 17th century.

Hello :)

It is quite rare, it is a Lyonnaise goyarde from the 17th century. Used by those who were not allowed to carry a sword. (peasants, brigands, petty bourgeois) ... This goyarde measures 98cm. It is a truly formidable piece in the hand. The edges are always sharp.

Does anyone have any vintage engravings illustrating this weapon?

Lansquenet59 11th November 2021 12:10 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Pictures :

Norman McCormick 11th November 2021 01:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Couldn't find any engravings but all of the underneath described as a Goyarde.
Regards,
Norman.

M ELEY 13th November 2021 01:08 AM

Fascinating peasant weapon! Would it have been used against those on horseback? I know many of these types evolved from agricultural tools (Bohemian ear spoons, Kriegsickles, etc), so I'm assuming this weapon did as well?

colin henshaw 13th November 2021 09:54 AM

A very interesting item, I like the primitive, blacksmith-made appearance...

kronckew 13th November 2021 10:03 AM

The next to last two with pommel hooks are traditional Northern Italian 'agricultural tools'.;)
(Used also for harvesting 2 legged rats) Called beidane.

Lansquenet59 14th November 2021 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is no doubt that this is the evolution and inspiration of guisarme...

Billman 8th August 2022 12:48 PM

Weapon or Tool

4 Attachment(s)
Why does everyone always assume these are weapons and not tools???

Goyarde is just one regional name for a serpe (billhook), and the Lyon pattern (image 1) has a long neck (collet) and most of the local patterns, e.g. that from Montluçon (image 3) also have the belt hook.

Image 2 is from the Bret catalogue of the 1920's - it shows the great variety of regional patterns. just from one small part of France...

France also has another type of billhook, a 'serpe à ronces' (left of image 4) with a long neck, used to chop down bramble thickets (ronces) - the Lyon pattern 'goyarde' with a long neck is also known as a 'buissonière' - a brushing hook.... Local tools were adapted to local needs - thus a goyarde lynonaisse with a longer neck is just a coupe ronces lyonaisse... (or a if it has a square blade, it's a coupe ronces Montluçon)....

Oh, of course, weapons attract far greater value then mere tools... I'd love to handle some of these 17th century 'weapons' and look for 19th century 'poinçons de taillandier'