Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interesting Sundang (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22418)

drac2k 28th February 2017 08:41 PM

Interesting Sundang

12 Attachment(s)
I just acquired this sundang which I believe to be from 1900 to 1945, probably closer to 1900 ; what I found interesting was that the aring(forgive me if I have mislabeled this part), was filled with a metal that looks like silver.I have seen the blades of other weapons with metal inserts, but this is the first time in my limited experience that I have seen the guard of a sundang filled.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Battara 1st March 2017 12:08 AM

Nice example. Congratulations!

This is a Maguindanao kris that I would place a little after 1900. You may want to etch the blade to see if it is mono-steel or laminated.

The copper top on the hilt may have been once covered by a thin sheet of gold to match the ferrule.

Ian 1st March 2017 12:22 AM

drac2K:

Nice Maguindanao kris. Like Battara, I would place this one later in the 20th C. for several reasons: the sharply pointed, spear tip to the blade; the absence of a separate gangya (an inscribed line has replaced where it would normally be separated); and the general appearance of the sword which looks in mint condition with very crisp incised decorations and pristine hilt. My guess would be closer to mid-20th C., although the scabbard may be a little older.

Ian

Battara 1st March 2017 12:29 AM

Ian do you think this ganga is not separate? I thought it was. If not, then I would agree that it is mid-20c.

drac2k 1st March 2017 01:02 AM

Thanks Gentlemen.I am pretty sure that the gangya is separate(maybe wishful thinking).I'll try to get better pictures.I agree that there once was a cap on the end of the pommel.

Sajen 1st March 2017 01:16 AM

Would agree with Jose, turn of the centuries, early 20th century. I agree again, the gangya is seperate. Nice piece! :) Sadly you don't etch. ;)

Regards,
Detlef

drac2k 1st March 2017 02:00 AM

Thanks Detlef , any clue why they filled the spaces in the guard ?

Battara 1st March 2017 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k

Could be talismanic, but just a guess........

Ian 1st March 2017 03:59 AM

Hi Jose:

Only way to know for sure is to take the hilt off and see if the gangya is separate. Right now I don't see any clear evidence of separation--the visible line is very straight and shows no edge corrosion or oxidation to suggest a point of separation that has been present for a hundred years or so. I've tried to take similar looking ones apart before, only to discover the gangya was not separate.

If this is a hundred year old sword, it is in a remarkable state of preservation.

Ian.

Spunjer 1st March 2017 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
... another way to find out if the gangya is separated is to see if the encircled part of the kris provided are attached or not

drac2k 3rd March 2017 09:58 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Maybe these additional pictures will help to determine if the gangya is separate.

Battara 5th March 2017 02:11 AM

I have had 3 similar Maguindanao kris (one stolen, one sold off) and the construction was nearly identical, and all 3 had separate gangas. I think this one is also.

David 5th March 2017 02:48 AM

Looks separate to me, just in case anyone is in the market for 2 cents. ;) :)

F. de Luzon 5th March 2017 10:09 AM

Nice! Congratulations!

drac2k 5th March 2017 01:10 PM

Thanks; all opinions are appreciated !

Sajen 5th March 2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Agree with Jose, could be talismanic but who knows exactly! ;) :D

drac2k 5th March 2017 02:03 PM

Are there any other examples or was this a "one of," that somebody thought was a good idea?

kino 5th March 2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Are there any other examples or was this a "one of," that somebody thought was a good idea?

I have seen holes on the ganya filled in.
Usually holes are filled in with precious metals. More prevalent in the holes near the tip of the Kampilan blades. Could be that, the area in your blade was filled in lieu of the missing holes.

According to Cato, some components (stirrups, bands, etc..), of the Moro swords are used as commodity to pay a debt or to purchase things. A sword is a safe place to keep something of value, the owner always know where his sword is. Then owner could just knock out a small piece of silver when needed.

drac2k 5th March 2017 10:12 PM

That makes sense to me as a likely possibility.