Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pair Queen Anne pistols by Haywood of Boughton (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21904)

corrado26 16th September 2016 04:34 PM

Pair Queen Anne pistols by Haywood of Boughton

10 Attachment(s)
My last acquisition is this pair of truncated Queen Anne pistols made by Haywood in Boughton.
corrado26

fernando 16th September 2016 04:57 PM

Great acquisition, corrado. Being a true pair is obviously an extreme added value.
Could you show us a picture of the buttcap ... no face mask ?

corrado26 16th September 2016 05:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh yes, there are face masks. They are from the same early type as often used by Israel Segalas or George Halfhide. Both masks have no hallmarks, what shows that the pistols have been made before 1738, when hallmarks were not required on small silver pieces.
corrado26

fernando 16th September 2016 05:30 PM

Good; very good.
They are really 'furchterregend', by the way :cool:.

M ELEY 17th September 2016 03:21 AM

Absolutely beautiful pieces for me to be envious of! Love the leonine faces...

corrado26 17th September 2016 08:58 AM

9 Attachment(s)
A further Queen-Anne-style pistol by JENKINS/London with a normal sidelock. Buttcap, escutcheon, sideplate and triggerguard are made of silver without hallmarks.
Total length is 365mm
corrado26

Pukka Bundook 18th September 2016 02:56 PM

You show very good taste with these recent acquisitions Corrado!

Lovely, lovely pistols, and I have not seen that mask before.
I think the Queen Anne one of the most elegant ever produced.

I have not looked up Boughton, but would this be Charles Haywood, Apprenticed to Richard Lawrence in 1710?

I have a sad old but early William Bailes with the same sideplate but in brass.
It has the grotesque mask you show on your second pistol.
It would appear these pistols have private proof marks.
Thank you for showing these. they are wonderful and inspiring!!

Richard.

corrado26 18th September 2016 05:00 PM

Yes, you are right, this is a pistol made by Charles Haywood, apprenticed to Richard Lawrence in 1710. One of the characteristics of these early Queen Annes is the triggerguard with a front final and a backstrap screwed to the butt. Later types have a totally different triggerguard.
You'd like to see more?
corrado26

Pukka Bundook 19th September 2016 02:22 AM

By all means, Yes!

Are the triggers off -set to the right?
Again, beautiful pistols.

Richard.

corrado26 19th September 2016 08:27 AM

8 Attachment(s)
No, the trigger is exactly in the middle. Next pistol is by David Wynn of London, one of the most productiv makers of Queen Anne pistols.
corrado26

Pukka Bundook 19th September 2016 03:00 PM

Another early one, Corrado!
1715 -29.
When you look at a piece like this, the word 'Art" comes to mind. The art of the lock filer, all the parts for that matter, they are perfection.
It is good to have a tight window of when this pistol was made, as this type continued to be made for some time, and we sometimes date them later.

Such elegance. Thanks for sharing it!

R.

corrado26 19th September 2016 03:15 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here is asecond one also made by David Wynn of London
corrado26

corrado26 19th September 2016 03:17 PM

6 Attachment(s)
..........and a third one, a pocket type by David Wynn

Pukka Bundook 21st September 2016 03:00 PM

Dear Corrado,
I replied yesterday, and do not know where it went!

Both lovely pistols. The last one must be one of Wynn's first! It is a style we see (as you know) from the late 17th C. Lovely burl walnut stock.
I always regret not bidding further on a little pistol of this type by Brush. (1690's)
It is interesting to note that the mask you show in your last post, was still in use in the 1780's by Twigg amongst others.
Some may think to date a pistol by the mask, but we had better not try that!
Also of interest is that though these pistols have to pre-date 1729 when David died, they both have bridled steels.
Thanks for showing them. I appreciate it. All lovely examples and in good order!

Best,
Richard.

corrado26 22nd September 2016 08:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here comes another Queen Anne pistol of the early years made by George Halfhide with brass mountings. The type of buttmask is nearly the same as with one of the pistols of David Wynn above.
corrado26

Pukka Bundook 22nd September 2016 02:49 PM

Another early one indeed, Corrado, And he served his time under a very good maker!
Another bridled lock, yet many good makers were still using unbridled steels in the late 1740's and even 1750's.

Lovely sideplate and when we see this type, it says Early!

Question;
I have a small pocket pistol with the lock missing , made (or the barrel marked with Richard Welford's stamp). I do not suppose you have a pocket pistol by this maker so I could get an idea of the style of lock?
As the trigger on this piece is still offset to the right, I believe it was made by the first Richard Welford, but the possibility exists that it Could have been made by his son, also R-W and he May have been authorised to use his father's stamps But do not know .

Kind regards,
Richard.

corrado26 22nd September 2016 04:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I am very sorry, but I have no pocket- or other pistol of Richard Wellford in my collection, nor can I find a foto of a pistol with his signature in my foto archive.
The next Queen Anne pistol is a piece made by Israel Segalas in London with silver mountings including a trigger guard also made of silver. The buttcap has nearly the same form as the pistol made by George Halfhide.
It is really very remarkable that the makers of Queen Anne pistols used a bridled pan in very early years when others still used unbridled pans in the middle of the 18. century.
corrado26

Pukka Bundook 23rd September 2016 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Corrado,

You Have managed to collect a real "who's who" of early English pistols haven't you!?!
Another Very fine maker and Very well known, and another bridled lock.
I Looked at some of Lewis Barbar's early work, and yes, it is as you say, the Queen Annes are bridled, and other type arms are not!
Why this is so has me wondering!
Lovely clean and well kept pistol. Now I am wondering what else you have up your sleeve!
Attached is a photo of the offside of the little pistol by Welford, simply as I found it interesting how alike the trigger-guard and trigger are to that of your Jenkins pistol.
Thank you for showing these top flight pistols Corrado. They are very lovely and important pieces.

Kind regards,
Richard

corrado26 23rd September 2016 04:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Nice pistol you have there Pukka, remarkably the appendix at the trigger is also to be found at the pair made by HAYLWOOD.
My first Queen Anne pistol ever having been the nucleus to my collection is the next one made by John HARMANN of London. The special sideplate and the lionmask I've never seen on other Queen-Annes.
corrado26

Pukka Bundook 24th September 2016 04:41 AM

Another top -flight and prolific maker Corrado.

You do have the bees knees of pistol makers represented!
I have never seen that mask before either.
Did you mean escutcheon instead of sideplate? I ask, as I have seen escutcheons similar, but not the Same as this.

Lovely lines and a grand pistol. You should be very proud of it.

Richard.

fernando 2nd October 2016 11:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Looking at pictures in post #10 reminds me that i once had a pistol of the Queen Anne type, so to say, that also had a fix barrel equiped with ramrod.
Whether the intention of the maker was to intentionally produce a knock off or simply build his own perspective of these pistols ignition system, is something that remained obscure to me :shrug:.

rickystl 2nd October 2016 04:14 PM

Hi Corrado.

I just finished reading all your Threads detailing your collection of Queen Ann style pistols. What a magnificent collection. And the information on the Makers and time periods really adds interest.
While not in my area of collecting, I still find these pistols as some of the most beautiful ever made. And it seems they remained popular for well past half a century. While my knowledge of these pistols is very limited, I know these pistols are highly desirable, and very collectable. Thanks to your Threads, I now know more about these Queen Ann style pistols. Thank you !!
A most interesting and grand collection. Thanks for Posting!
Do you have a photo of ALL your Queen Ann pistols next to one another ? Would make a a very cool pic !!!

Rick

corrado26 2nd October 2016 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks a lot for your kind words re. my collection of Queen Anne pistols. I've attached a foto of nearly all of them except the pair made by Haywood in post 1 - when I made the foto this pair was still missing and one pistol (number one on the right) is at the time beeing on loan in a German museum.
corrado26

rickystl 2nd October 2016 08:28 PM

WOW!!! Thank you for the pic. Largest gathering of Queen Ann pistols I've ever seen. Very impressive. And beautiful. You'll have to update this photo to include the new PAIR. Thanks again for the pic.

Rick

rickystl 2nd October 2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Looking at pictures in post #10 reminds me that i once had a pistol of the Queen Anne type, so to say, that also had a fix barrel equiped with ramrod.
Whether the intention of the maker was to intentionally produce a knock off or simply build his own perspective of these pistols ignition system, is something that remained obscure to me :shrug:.

Hi Fernando.

I find this a very interesting pistol. It does in fact seem the maker/customer was attempting to copy the "general" style. This pistol looks like it was European made for an Eastern customer. Very interesting. You no longer have it ?

Rick

fernando 2nd October 2016 09:46 PM

I always felt bad for this not being the real thing; the knock off syndrome, you know. It cost me good money, though. After having for five years i swapped it for another piece.

corrado26 3rd October 2016 11:18 AM

I saw your LONDON-signed Queen Anne pistol, probably made by a Liège-gunmaker at the Czerny-auction but had at that time no money left to buy it. :rolleyes:
corrado26

fernando 3rd October 2016 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We tend to forget that often antique weapons travel a long way, from one owner to another ... even sometimes back to the previous ones.
This pistol was once auctioned in a well known house in Lisbon. Later in 2007 i bought it in a local antiquary, who told me this was the second time he had it for sale. Probably the first time was before it was auctioned, as its bidding price was in Euros, therefore much after the date label i found under the barrel. It is well possible that, the person to whom i swapped it in 2012 may have 'recently' decided to auction it at Czerny's.

-