Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hong Kong arms and armour dealers (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23052)

spiritualwarrior1978 28th August 2017 01:17 AM

Hong Kong arms and armour dealers

Hi was planning a trip out to Hong Kong and Malaysia, was wondering if there's any arms dealers or collectors on here :) or if anybody knows of any. Mainly for info-persian, indian arms.

Thanks

Philip 3rd September 2017 06:39 AM

I was last there in 2011 and found one small shop in a cluster of antiques dealers on the Hong Kong (island) side, near Hollywood Road where most of the antique and curio shops are anyway. I didn't bother to keep the name and exact address because their stock held no appeal for me -- it was mostly Japanese, flashy stuff but not important, and a few Chinese which would have been decent if they weren't all worn out and grungy. The only things I saw that were worth a second look were more ethnographica than weapons per se: a pair of exquisitely carved, gilt, and lacquered Vietnamese votive swords made entirely of wood. Can't recall any Indian or Islamic on display. However, there is a small and dedicated community of collectors over there, and from my contact with them they do like their wootz blades. They seem to acquire most of their items at auction abroad, and from finds at major arms shows in the US and UK.

kahnjar1 3rd September 2017 07:37 AM

I agree with Philip. Hollywood Road and some nearby side streets in the Sheung Wan district (Hong Kong Island) is where to look. Many street stalls and also proper shops, but be very careful of copies. Take MTR to Sheung Wan station from where ever you are staying, and exit thru Hollywood Road marked exit. Easy and cheap mode of transport.
As for Malaysia, if you get to Melaka then Jonkers Street is the place. Many shops with blades. Also Lantaka cannon can be found in some.
Good luck.
Stu

Philip 4th September 2017 05:36 AM

lantakas -- caveat emptor

Thanks for the info on Malaysia, this is good to know for those headed that way.

SINCE YOU MENTIONED LANTAKAS:
Are you familiar with the problem with the fakery of these things -- over the last decade or so, artisans have turned this into a minor industry and the products are so good at present that they can be very hard to tell from originals. I've heard from quite a few collectors and dealers who were quite involved with these in years past, and now tell me they wouldn't touch the stuff that's on the market now unless they examined it in person and knew the source and the provenance.

kahnjar1 4th September 2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip
Thanks for the info on Malaysia, this is good to know for those headed that way.

SINCE YOU MENTIONED LANTAKAS:
Are you familiar with the problem with the fakery of these things -- over the last decade or so, artisans have turned this into a minor industry and the products are so good at present that they can be very hard to tell from originals. I've heard from quite a few collectors and dealers who were quite involved with these in years past, and now tell me they wouldn't touch the stuff that's on the market now unless they examined it in person and knew the source and the provenance.

As always when buying "genuine" items one needs to be careful. Jonkers Street had plenty of Malayan Kris and other blades when I was last there, but of course no guarantees are given! I was not aware of the Lantaka issue but forewarned is forearmed.

spiritualwarrior1978 7th September 2017 05:12 PM

Thank you both for the helpful information, was heading out to Hollywood road. Let's see what comes of it :)