Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shamshir or pulvar? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19715)

mahratt 15th March 2015 10:47 AM

Shamshir or pulvar?

2 Attachment(s)
Colleagues, I ask everyone to express their opinion as to name an item on the photos:

Iain 15th March 2015 10:49 AM

Pulwar.

Kurt 15th March 2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Pulwar.

Pulowar Hilt.
Schamshir blade.

Kurt

mahratt 15th March 2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Pulowar Hilt.
Schamshir blade.

Kurt

Of course, Kurt. But if this item is called a single word, he - Shamshir or Pulvar?

Kubur 15th March 2015 12:45 PM

The hilt is the ID of the user so I would say Pulwar....

estcrh 19th March 2015 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
The hilt is the ID of the user so I would say Pulwar....

I agree, this combination of blade and hilt was ment to be a pulwar.

Gavin Nugent 19th March 2015 08:01 AM

Indeed, this is a Pulwar. The blade types are found in a vast region through trade yet the hilt is ethnically chosen from the region which in my opinion should call this a Pulwar

ariel 19th March 2015 10:23 AM

As per Stone's Glossary, it is a Pulwar.

As per Elgood's Glossary ( see his book on Indian weapons), and Oliver Pinchot's book Weapons of the Paladins, Pulwar is a mis-transcribed Tulwar, so it is a figment of European imagination:-)

As per info from my informants from the Western Pakistan ( Pakhtunkhwa, populated by ethnic Afghanis), nobody there knows the word Pulwar: for them it is a Shamshir.

Sometimes, words and names acquire their own life: we make "Xerox copies" using HP, Brother and Canon copiers:-)

In this particular case, the word Pulwar will convey maximum information for a Westerner, despite a very dubious connection with the true native tradition.

So, gentlemen, as barmen say, choose your poison:-)

If we want quick and easy lingo, it is, undoubtedly, a Pulwar.
If we are writing a catalog description for a major museum, it may be something like " an Afghani saber with a Persian shamshir blade and a handle stemming from old Deccani examples" This should be followed by a 5-page long dissertation citing multiple references and reconciling conflicting opinions

Ain't life a bitch?

:-)

spiral 19th March 2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel

Ain't life a bitch?

:-)

Yep! it is...No doubt...;)

Very concise breakdown of the literature Ariel. :D

mahratt 20th March 2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

As per Stone's Glossary, it is a Pulwar.

As per Elgood's Glossary ( see his book on Indian weapons), and Oliver Pinchot's book Weapons of the Paladins, Pulwar is a mis-transcribed Tulwar, so it is a figment of European imagination:-)

As per info from my informants from the Western Pakistan ( Pakhtunkhwa, populated by ethnic Afghanis), nobody there knows the word Pulwar: for them it is a Shamshir.

In this particular case, the word Pulwar will convey maximum information for a Westerner, despite a very dubious connection with the true native tradition.

If we want quick and easy lingo, it is, undoubtedly, a Pulwar.
If we are writing a catalog description for a major museum, it may be something like " an Afghani saber with a Persian shamshir blade and a handle stemming from old Deccani examples" This should be followed by a 5-page long dissertation citing multiple references and reconciling conflicting opinions

I apologize for my English. Thank you all for the views expressed.

Gavin, thank you for opinion. I totally agree with you.

Ariel, I did not ask to write the story of the origin of the handles of swords in Afghanistan. I asked a specific question.

And what's the difference, as in Afghanistan called saber? This is interesting from the point of view of ethnography. Nothing more. In modern literature there is a specific term "Pulvar." And those who are associated with oriental weapon it is clear that we are talking about afghan sabre.

ariel 20th March 2015 11:22 PM

Well, if you are satisfied with a simple answer, if it does not bother you that the very word Pulwar might be a spelling error and that native Afghanis might not even know what Pulwar is, that's fine with me.

In this case it is a Pulwar, as I already said:-)

Does it answer your question now?

mahratt 21st March 2015 09:09 AM

We always learn something new about the Afghan weapons. A year ago, no one knew that in some parts of Afghanistan, the Khyber knife called "seelava" and lohar - "Daas". Therefore, the word Pulwar might be a spelling error. But maybe we just did not find the information that somewhere in Afghanistan so called saber.

But most importantly, as I wrote earlier, the literature has long adopted the term "pulvar."

Therefore, your answer:

Quote:

In this case it is a Pulwar

I am satisfied.

A.alnakkas 21st March 2015 04:23 PM

Interesting blade. Was it etched?

mahratt 21st March 2015 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wootz blade

spiral 23rd March 2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahratt
I am satisfied.

Cool! I wonder is that the same as happy? ;)

happy link..

mahratt 24th March 2015 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiral
Cool! I wonder is that the same as happy? ;)

happy link..

Hello, spiral :)

This Pulvar my friend. And he - satisfied and happy)))