Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MUSEUM NUSANTARA DELFT = CLOSING 6TH JAN 2013 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16613)

asomotif 30th December 2012 11:57 PM

MUSEUM NUSANTARA DELFT = CLOSING 6TH JAN 2013

1 Attachment(s)
I made a small note in the figural thread, but here for the dutch collectors a separate note.
Nusantara in Delft will unfortunately close next weekend 6th jan 2013 due to lack of funds.

Here is one grumpy face, seems to be a bit cross about it too.

Rick 31st December 2012 12:33 AM

I wonder what will happen to the items from the museum .
Do you think they will be auctioned off ?

asomotif 31st December 2012 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
I wonder what will happen to the items from the museum .
Do you think they will be auctioned off ?

The collection will remain property of the city of Delft, and it can/may be used for exhibitions in other musea.

They have very high quality and iteresting objects from Nias, Batak, Borneo, Asmat. and some keris of course. here one more. sorry for the low quality of the picture.

Battara 31st December 2012 02:32 AM

What a shame!

Hope there are pictures so that we can have them for research here.

Henk 31st December 2012 09:56 AM

Our government should be ashamed of herself :mad:

What a waist of history!!

Sajen 31st December 2012 10:03 AM

It's a shame!

asomotif 6th January 2013 12:36 AM

12 Attachment(s)
Today I made my last visit to Nusantara.
Normally I never take pictures at musea, but in this case I wanted a small memory of the museum. here some pictures of the keris display.

asomotif 6th January 2013 12:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Battara 6th January 2013 01:03 AM

Beautiful piercing work - a lot harder than one would think......

asian-keris 6th January 2013 03:08 PM

I thought the colection belonged to mr Marc Peeters ?
Kolector Keris Nusantara.

Maurice 6th January 2013 05:14 PM

Yes a pity Willem it all ends this way!

Do you happen to have some clear images of the Borneo display you would like to share?

the images I have of my last visit are not sharp because of the reflection in the glass in front of it!

Especially I would be interested to have a very clear image of the headtrophee which was at display there....

Maurice

Sajen 6th January 2013 06:52 PM

Thank you very much for sharing this great pictures with us Willem! :)

David 6th January 2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for the photos Willem. This is indeed a shame and i can only hope that the pieces are well cared for and perhaps find their way into another venue for display.
BTW, does anyone have any more info on that keris with the squatting gentleman in the skull cap. What an unusual blade and wonderfully carved hilt! If the museum is looking for a new caretaker for that beauty all they have to do is ask. ;) :)

asomotif 6th January 2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian-keris
I thought the colection belonged to mr Marc Peeters ?
Kolector Keris Nusantara.

What I know from the newspapers and from an employee at the museum is that the collection belongs to the city (gemeente) of Delft.

Also the description of the keris only mentiones when they where donated to the museum. No mention of a private owner.

But I would be happy if their is a private owner. Otherwise such collections disappear into depots, never to be seen again.

Best regards,
Willem

asomotif 6th January 2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
BTW, does anyone have any more info on that keris with the squatting gentleman in the skull cap. What an unusual blade and wonderfully carved hilt! If the museum is looking for a new caretaker for that beauty all they have to do is ask. ;) :)

In the museum they only mentioned this keris comming from West Java, and being a gift by P.Meulendijk in 1980.

asomotif 6th January 2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice
Yes a pity Willem it all ends this way!

Do you happen to have some clear images of the Borneo display you would like to share?

the images I have of my last visit are not sharp because of the reflection in the glass in front of it!

Especially I would be interested to have a very clear image of the headtrophee which was at display there....

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I made a few pictures of Borneo objects on display. (not the entire display :o )
But they are not keris related and not even weapon related.

Headtrophee... well let me think. Would that be the one from the Piers legacy ;) Check your mail :)

Richard Furrer 7th January 2013 07:39 PM

I love the bird spear. Thank you for sharing.

Ric

asomotif 4th June 2014 12:05 PM

NEW BOOK !!!

1 Attachment(s)
I just learned that a book has been published about the museum collection :

quote...

240 pp.; c.220 colour illus., map, biblio.. Leiden, 2014. Cloth.

Museum Nusantara in Delft was a small-scale, much-loved museum entirely dedicated to the varied cultures of Indonesia. For over a century, visitors have been able to admire the splendid art treasures, many of which came from their land of origin.

Most regrettably, the Gemeenteraad of Delft closed the museum as of early January 2013 due to budgetary reasons.

Those who took the museum – the only one in the world outside Indonesia to exclusively hold Indonesian objects – to heart consider this a deplorable decision.

The Nusantara Foundation representing its donors felt that highlights from the collection should be saved from oblivion and initiated this publication. In this way, Museum Nusantara will to a certain degree continue to exist, albeit that its collection will be housed within another museum structure.

...unquote

Surely it will be on sale online, but feel free to contact me if you need some help.

Best regards,
Willem