Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MOROCCAN AND A ZANZIBARI NIMCHA. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21833)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 26th September 2016 03:29 PM

Please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...3&page=4&pp=30 where there are good relevant parts of the thread worth considering supporting the essential concepts delivered here. :)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th September 2016 10:59 AM

See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21926 on #14 where this additional detail posted by Ariel; Nimcha may be translated most accurately as "half" or "little half" , kind of Enlglish " shorty".
Per H.W. Bellew's "The races of Afghanistan" people of mixed ethnic origin or newly-converted Muslims whose adherence to Islam is still doubtful are referred as "nimchas".

Does the word Nimcha therefor mean those people (or the sword they carry) who are sort of half converts...or doubtful new converts... An interesting theory...noted. This would point to Baluchis from that region working as Mercenaries on the Zanj I assume.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th September 2016 02:05 PM

I discovered a French view of the Nimcha more in terms of how it transferred around the Mediterranean than its Southern sister...viz; Quote''
Le Nimcha du Maghreb
Présentation du Nimcha par Jean-François Teulière
Le sabre des cavaliers du monde Arabe

Le nimcha est appelé « Saïf »dans le monde arabe. C’est un terme commun aux langues sémitiques (araméen) et à l’arabe.En arabe il désigne une lame courbe et en hébreu une lame droite. C’est le sabre des cavaliers du monde Arabe, dont la diffusion fut assurée par les conquêtes ainsi que par les relations commerciales entre les pays sous l’influence ou la domination orientale: Arabie, Yémen, Oman et sa dépendance Zanzibar, Maghreb et Espagne Maure.
Pour certains, la poignée à quillons et garde de main serait d’origine italienne ou plus précisément aurait été connue des Arabes vers les 15 ème – 16 ème siècles via le commerce Gênois. Cf.: « Robert Elgood Arms – 1994 »."Unquote.

I suspect that no one other than European sword collectors actually called this weapon a Nimcha and as the above passage suggests they called it a Saif...In the same way today people call pretty well everything that is a sword...Saif. here in Oman. I also agree that Oriental influence had a good deal to play in transmission of technology in the old days and commerce and war had a big hand in it...In that case it is virtually certain to have passed through certain conduits on its way and Genoa has to be considered...

Many weapons from the Genoan stable effected Moroccan style...It cannot be ruled out. It is an odd feeling however since I appear to be back at the startline in a race which feels it has been run to its finishing point but somehow I hear the order from Mr Starter... On your marks! ready! set !... Go!!! :)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th September 2016 02:10 PM

By way of a summary here are the differences between A Moroccan and a Zanzibari Nimcha. It is obvious that the name is the same but any deeper into the reason is a conundrum and possibly a false impression simply applied and popularised by European sword collectors. On the other hand tracking through the possibilities certainly raises the awareness not least the post by Oliver Pinchot at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21926 where he notes the relationship with an article of clothing viz;

Quote"The term "Salawar" (also rendered salwar and shalvar,) was applied to these weapons because of its similarity to a type of breeches common in N. India, which are quite broad at the waist and taper continuously to the ankle. The analogy with the form of the blade is obvious.''Unquote.

and the bells ring here where I note the potential link to the waistcoat often worn by Baluch males (called a Nimcha) and where it is known they were the mercenaries on the Zanj to Saaid Sultan..AKA Saaid the Great, who among other battles these famous Baluch mercenaries and Persian Naval units wrestled Fort Jesus from the Portuguese and in addition were the guards with Burton and Speke into Central Africa...and potentially transmitters of the weapons name Nimcha to North Africa..I thus acknowledge the very interesting information and include it here.

Moroccan.
1. Stud on the pommel top holding or anchoring the hilt and blade. Invariably round but occasionally an elongated (one inch x a quarter inch) metal strip.
2. No D Guard.
3. Arabesque decoration to guard Quillons and/or pommel base ring in silver or gold. (Often mirrored by the scabbard decor) Occasionally clossoned or enamel.
4. Pommel turned only to about 90 degrees perhaps for a larger hand.
5. Knuckle Guard with distinct right angle or elbow bend occasionally with a small round inscribed stud shape about half way along.
6. Blade occasionally lavishly inscribed in silver or gold in Arabic.
7. Finials to guard and quillons ending in bud style.
8. Occasional two prong/piton incorporation to guard.
9. Blades either short almost cutlass form or longer, slender sometimes clipped. Many displaying Genoa bite marks often called Hogs Back or Eye Lash marks.
10. Scabbard with worked silver or gold decoration lavishly applied in Clossone, gold or silver arranged to hang from a shoulder strap/ Baldric.

Zanzibari.
1. Turtle shape on top of Pommel holding or anchoring the hilt and blade.
2. Occasional D Guard.
3. Plain guard and base ring without arabesque decoration on a plain hilt often in Rhino or Ivory and in some a gold roundel and leaf pattern decorative style apparently the same as on some East African combs. The hilts in either Rhino or Ivory often display at the "horses mouth" an apparent geometrical OVO shaped decorative style.
4. Pommel more turned than 90 degrees perhaps for a smaller hand.
5. Knuckle guard rounded. Plain; never enameled.
6. Blade usually either plain or of the Red Sea variety but not lavishly done in Arabic.
7. Finials usually of the dragon or Yali / Makara form sometimes with a capital R and dots to the Quilons and Knuckle Guard ends but not all as some finials are small budded form.
8. Occasional D Guards marked like the Knuckle Guard with a substantial X in the mid section of each however this weapon can appear with none of the complexity of guards/quilons/knuckle guard etc but with the simple cross guard only. (Butin Charts refer)
9. Blades never clipped, invariably cutlass short form.
10. Scabbards simple; often with Omani decoration of Swirls or circles to leather. Occasionally with silver furniture and chape. This weapon worn on the waist.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th September 2016 12:55 PM

I cross reference a post here as; NIMCHA ... The Word.
From
Salaams Ariel... You are correct in several of your pointers to the peculiar name Nimcha apparently applied to the sword of Morocco and its sister from Zanzibar. The name used by locals in both regions is Sayf/Saif/Seyf. There are many questions or possibilities as to how the term Nimcha entered the equation not least that an enterprising sword collector "expert" gave the name and it stuck! because it "looked" the same.

Look at the previous post where it can be seen that apart from "a similar" hand grip the entire sword arrangement in both cases is chalk and cheese!
Regarding the Name Nimcha it is worth listing the possible reasons all of which hold water...for the Name; Nimcha;

1. Nim means half in Persian and Baluch. The connotation attached to the sword could mean half sword as applied also to half convert...meaning those half converts to Islam working among the Baluch on the Zanj in other words "the sword of the half converts".

2. The word Nimcha may mean blink of an eye to Moroccan people. ( This may be regional/ colloquial since they say blink of your eye in Morocco like this; ghamad ainak. )

3a. We know that military dress in the sub continent remained almost ancient until recently thus tie ups between apparel and weapons is common(and must be of antiquity) as per Oliver Pinchot's revelation about Salawar and the Pantaloon style of dress known in those regions and the dagger/sword. The sword being also wide at the throat and narrow at the tip...like the pants!

3b. In this case in referring to Nimcha, it is the waistcoat of Persian, Baluch and central Asian form for men... Uzbekistan has the word Nimcha meaning waistcoat...Half Jacket. The waistcoat worn by Baluchi Mercenaries may be a reference to those worn on the Zanj ~ Mercenaries of the Omani Sultans especially Saaid bin Sultan before and after his death in 1856. (ruled 1804 - 1856) In this case Nimcha being the sword worn by the Half Jackets...Nimcha.

4. The great explorers technically at least, may have transmitted the word from Zanzibar/Zanj to Central Africa since they accompanied Tipu Tib the great slave captain and explorers Burton and Speke thus linking into trans Saharan trade routes (Ivory/ Slaves/ Rhino) was likely.

5. Last but not least the whats in a word phenomena is entirely plausible though I admire the potential in the clothing link after all; naming parts or weapons after clothes also occurred with the hilt of the great Moroccan dagger One of the Khoumiya which took its name from A French Policemans Hat!! and there are many more.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th September 2016 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lets see who can nail this one first ...Full marks for a complete assessment... :shrug: additional marks if you put in a bibliography from forum !!! 3 references will suffice !!! :shrug:

ariel 30th September 2016 06:08 PM

You want a "complete assessment"?
A long version or a short one?
OK, here is the long one :

" This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!! "

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th September 2016 06:56 PM

Completely correct Ariel. No Points though; you copied it!... :)

VANDOO 2nd October 2016 05:53 AM

I AM ENJOYING THIS POST AS IT MAKES A GOOD REFERENCE FOR THIS TYPE OF SWORD. PERHAPS NOT ALL QUESTIONS CAN BE ANSWERED BUT MANY FACTS, OLD ARTICLES AND REFRENCES, THOUGHTS AND EXAMPLES ARE GATHERED HERE FOR EASIER ACCESS. AFTER ALL THAT IS BASICALLY ALL A REFERENCE IS. AS TO THE LAST ITEM THOUGH THERE IS LITTLE REMAINING OF THE SWORD AND ITS GLORY DAYS ARE LONG OVER. FOR A POOR MAN A LITTLE GLUE OR DUCT TAPE AND THIS PARROT THOUGH NO LONGER BEAUTIFUL COULD STILL PECK. :D

kronckew 2nd October 2016 10:08 AM

'tis but a scratch,
it's just a flesh wound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG1P8MQS1cU

a little bondo, sanding, polishing, and it's back guarding the bridge. gaffer (duck) tape works well with bondo.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 2nd October 2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
I AM ENJOYING THIS POST AS IT MAKES A GOOD REFERENCE FOR THIS TYPE OF SWORD. PERHAPS NOT ALL QUESTIONS CAN BE ANSWERED BUT MANY FACTS, OLD ARTICLES AND REFRENCES, THOUGHTS AND EXAMPLES ARE GATHERED HERE FOR EASIER ACCESS. AFTER ALL THAT IS BASICALLY ALL A REFERENCE IS. AS TO THE LAST ITEM THOUGH THERE IS LITTLE REMAINING OF THE SWORD AND ITS GLORY DAYS ARE LONG OVER. FOR A POOR MAN A LITTLE GLUE OR DUCT TAPE AND THIS PARROT THOUGH NO LONGER BEAUTIFUL COULD STILL PECK. :D

THANK YOU VANDOO, I am glad you like the thread and the twists and turns not least in the Nimcha name conundrum. Absolutely agreed on all the questions not yet answered which perhaps underlines the detective work still to be completed...however, I hope that this foundation thread and others at Library can assist in uncovering more as we roll forward. Regards Ibrahiim.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 2nd October 2016 06:06 PM

Hello all. OK ... its a wreck... I know that and chose it for that reason... Now can anyone nail its origin ? For them as can do it with your eyes shut an extra mark, however, here is an opportunity for those with a little less knowledge to put this one away... :shrug:

VANDOO 3rd October 2016 12:29 AM

THE BLADE IS LIKE THE BLADE ON THE MOROCCAN NIMCHA PICTURED WITH ITS SCABBARD , IN THE NEXT PICTURE ABOVE THIS POST. THE BROKEN BLADE LENGTH IS GOOD FOR A DAGGER OR BAYONET. THE MODIFICATIONS TO THE GUARD ARE UNKNOWN BUT PERHAPS MIGHT BE FOR ATTACHING AS A BAYONET. :confused: THE HORN MAY BE RHINO AND MAY HAVE BEEN MODIFIED OR JUST SHOWING DETERIORATION AND DAMAGED. :confused: IF IT WAS EVER MODIFIED AS A BAYONET IT HAS COME APART SINCE THEN AND PERHAPS THERE ARE PARTS MISSING. THATS MY BEST GUESS

kahnjar1 3rd October 2016 01:07 AM

My guess based on the qillons and the typical "stud" fixing of the tang, is that it is/was a Moroccan Nimcha.
Stu

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 3rd October 2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
My guess based on the qillons and the typical "stud" fixing of the tang, is that it is/was a Moroccan Nimcha.
Stu

Yes Stu, thank you...that's the clincher, or one of them ... The stud invariably on the Moroccan pommel top but never on the Zanzibari...The recycled sword now a dagger almost showing how the tang joins the stud.

You can just see the 90 degree turn in the hilt and the Arabesque pattern on the guard backing up the Moroccan provenance. The hilt which is probably Rhino looks like it has been in water...and the termite damage or borer holes have almost totally destroyed it.

What I find interesting about the guard is the two pronged pitons which are sort of halfway to D guard but quilon like in their likely defence style ...again never seen on Zanzibari but on Moroccan; Yes! in a thread by Cathey as I recall.

The blade snapped; in this case apparently European and it would not surprise me to find Genoa bite marks under the oxidation...

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 3rd October 2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

THE BLADE IS LIKE THE BLADE ON THE MOROCCAN NIMCHA PICTURED WITH ITS SCABBARD , IN THE NEXT PICTURE ABOVE THIS POST. THE BROKEN BLADE LENGTH IS GOOD FOR A DAGGER OR BAYONET. THE MODIFICATIONS TO THE GUARD ARE UNKNOWN BUT PERHAPS MIGHT BE FOR ATTACHING AS A BAYONET. :confused: THE HORN MAY BE RHINO AND MAY HAVE BEEN MODIFIED OR JUST SHOWING DETERIORATION AND DAMAGED. :confused: IF IT WAS EVER MODIFIED AS A BAYONET IT HAS COME APART SINCE THEN AND PERHAPS THERE ARE PARTS MISSING. THATS MY BEST GUESS

Yes indeed it is good to compare or reference the self same thread here where many pointers can be seen about this weapon...Although I cannot see the bayonet quite...except that some potential is there as the grip appears eroded in two notches?...hmmm... I like that idea ...If only they could talk!!! It certainly forms the well practised technique of re using broken blades as daggers. Certainly it appears as Rhino but badly erroded; likely some sort of termite...

Correct on Morocco as the type and as well as arabesque evidence on the quilons it has the stud on top of the pommel to verify that. Thank you Vandoo.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 3rd October 2016 08:05 PM

8 Attachment(s)
From the Vandoo stable a series of apparent corsair weapons of the mark Nimcha which I have never seen before and in particular beautifully adorned in coral. (Coral is not uncommon in the Indian Ocean but is also often used on the North African coast..

Where to start? ...

Hilt. A Tortoise shell covered Hilt in the tradition of the Algerian form...(I think we rightly group this type alongside the Moroccan?) I place another example of tortoise shell Algerian form horizontally and on its left another example of coral but on a Zanzibari Nimcha.
Hilt further decorated with blueish coloured Enamel or Clossone to the grip. Arabesque platework ( brass or gilded) comprising geometry and split-palmette work around an apparent central eye (missing) surrounded by a floral six segmented design; reflection perhaps to what is on the blade at the throat...a six pointed star. If this is an eye what is the animal it portrays? ... Perhaps The Horse ? Perhaps The Sea Horse? Or is this for a wrist loop?
The hilt probably Rhino further enhanced by Tortoise shell and coral with 5 square shots of silver down one flank and perhaps a similarly Talsimanic number on the other...interspersed with coral-stone dots...some white...mainly red.

Blade ...The six pointed star of Soloman... See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Solomon Both sides of the European blade with crosses and tiny moon strikes in the same throat region..If this is an eye what is the animal it portrays? ... Perhaps The Horse ? Perhaps The Sea Horse? A heavy backblade and 4 fullers reaching down much of the blade. Is this blade a Kilij form...?

Finials on Quilons and Knuckle guard decorated by budded ends with beautiful silver crowns each topped by a tiny coral stone; A clear reflector of the seagoing sword form.

The base ring Silver. Decorated in Floral Arabesque but with the tiny prayer-like niche missing on one side but half present on the other ( See the horizontal example for a complete one on that weapon) Perhaps these niches form 4 prongs of a crown...the base ring.

Knuckle Guard. An interesting ships bow or perhaps a sort of sea monster on the outward face of the Knuckleguard?..The guard in this style not exactly commencing with an elbow 90 degree bend but a tight bend and not the soft S turn of its Indian Ocean sister ..

Pommel; Clad in tiny silver plates almost identical to the Horizontal example ~ the plates reminiscent of minute Moroccan prayer rugs overlapping and decorated in floral motifs. The typical stud pointing identifies it as North African...Moroccan/ Algerian. The Pommel turned at about 90 degrees giving a bigger grip and typically so turned...as are all Nimcha from Moroccan style.

My interpretation based mainly upon this thread using the clues of the single stud on the pommel and the 90 degree turn to the pommel...and decor... illustrates a fine Moroccan / Algerian Rhino and Tortoise hilted Nimcha with Clossone Coral and Silver decoration on a European blade likely to be Italian (Genoa) displaying Star of Soloman and other typical North African astrological devices..

Thanks to Vandoo for the pictures.

Please feel free to comment...

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 4th October 2016 06:23 PM

10 Attachment(s)
For a quick warm up...what ARE THESE ? :shrug: MASTERCLASS WIZARD STANDARD ONE MINUTE... NORMAL MEMBERS 5 MINUTES.

kronckew 5th October 2016 07:05 AM

swords ;)

VANDOO 5th October 2016 07:50 AM

I THINK OF THE LONG NIMCHA AS SWORDS TO BE USED ON HORSEBACK PRIMARILY BUT OF COURSE THEY CAN BE USED ON FOOT OR ON SHIPS AS WELL. ALL EXAMPLES PICTURED ABOVE FIT THE HORSEMAN'S SWORD TYPE
EXCEPT THE LAST PICTURE. IT IS WHAT IS REFERRED TO AS A WEDDING NIMCHA AND IS LARGELY USED AT MARRIAGE CEREMONIES TODAY AND IS DAGGER TO SHORT SWORD IN SIZE. ALL THE ONES I HAVE SEEN HAVE BEEN FAIRLY RECENT SAY WW1 TO PRESENT BUT OLDER FORMS MAY HAVE BEEN WEAPONS :confused: MOST I HAVE SEEN WERE ATTRIBUTED TO ALGERIA BUT LIKELY TO BE FOUND IN SURROUNDING COUNTRIES.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th October 2016 09:34 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I THINK OF THE LONG NIMCHA AS SWORDS TO BE USED ON HORSEBACK PRIMARILY BUT OF COURSE THEY CAN BE USED ON FOOT OR ON SHIPS AS WELL. ALL EXAMPLES PICTURED ABOVE FIT THE HORSEMAN'S SWORD TYPE
EXCEPT THE LAST PICTURE. IT IS WHAT IS REFERRED TO AS A WEDDING NIMCHA AND IS LARGELY USED AT MARRIAGE CEREMONIES TODAY AND IS DAGGER TO SHORT SWORD IN SIZE. ALL THE ONES I HAVE SEEN HAVE BEEN FAIRLY RECENT SAY WW1 TO PRESENT BUT OLDER FORMS MAY HAVE BEEN WEAPONS :confused: MOST I HAVE SEEN WERE ATTRIBUTED TO ALGERIA BUT LIKELY TO BE FOUND IN SURROUNDING COUNTRIES.

Good point VANDOO ~ It is apparent that two blade length styles sub divide the Magrebi form and that ships short blades and long mounted cavalry are there. I have seen artwork of these long blades on warriors on horseback and camel...It is a fact that Magreb means the cluster of countries like Morocco and Algeria where these forms are found. The former preferred by Corsairs
(Corsairs= Moriscos after feeing from Spain in the early 1600s. )

(These so called wedding daggers are interesting also known as Fleessa or Algerian Nimcha Daggers..Personally I also see them as somewhat ineffective being rather spindley and weak in the quillon region..Whilst the hilts follow a Nimcha style I cannot be sure of their original provenance...perhaps more comments can be forthcoming from others as it looks like a latecomer to the style.)

Below a further look at artwork down the ages at some different Magrebi Nimcha blade-lengths... As I see it there are three Magrebi types viz;

1.The huge meaty Embassadorial form.
2.The Short Corsair form.
3.The Long Cavalry form...

Comments please...?

VANDOO 5th October 2016 11:03 PM

I MAY BE REACHING A BIT FAR HERE BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THE LONG CURVED SWORDS EVOLVED IN COUNTRIES AND SOCIETY'S WHERE HORSES WERE USED FOR WAR. TO SHOW YOU WERE A SUCCESSFUL , POWERFUL MAN YOU NEEDED MANY THINGS. SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT WERE A GOOD WAR HORSE, GOOD WEAPONS, GOOD CLOTHES AND PERHAPS ARMOR AND OF COURSE A WELL FITTED OUT GUARD OR ARMY. MUCH ATTENTION HAS ALWAYS BEEN PAID TO ESTABLISHING THIS IMAGE AND IT IS NECESSARY FOR A LEADER TO HAVE THESE THINGS TO LEAD MAKE ALLIES AND INTIMIDATE ENEMY'S. THIS HAS LED TO THE BREEDING OF THE ARABIAN HORSES, BEAUTIFUL WORKMANSHIP ON SADDLES, WEAPONS, CLOTHES AND ART. FIGHTING FROM HORSEBACK MADE A LONGER SWORD WITH A CURVE PRACTICAL AS THE CURVE ALLOWED A DRAW CUT FROM ABOVE ON HORSE BACK RATHER THAN A CHOP OR THRUST. THE CURVED BLADE BOTH INSIDE CURVE AS IN THE KOPESH AND OUTSIDE IN SAIF, IS FOUND ON MANY OTHER SWORDS HAVING NO CONNECTION TO HORSEMEN. BUT I WONDER WHERE AND WHY THE OUTSIDE CURVE EVOLVED ORIGINALLY AS IT IS IDEAL FOR SLICING DOWNWARD AT SPEED AS ON HORSEBACK.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 6th October 2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

I MAY BE REACHING A BIT FAR HERE BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THE LONG CURVED SWORDS EVOLVED IN COUNTRIES AND SOCIETY'S WHERE HORSES WERE USED FOR WAR. TO SHOW YOU WERE A SUCCESSFUL , POWERFUL MAN YOU NEEDED MANY THINGS. SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT WERE A GOOD WAR HORSE, GOOD WEAPONS, GOOD CLOTHES AND PERHAPS ARMOR AND OF COURSE A WELL FITTED OUT GUARD OR ARMY. MUCH ATTENTION HAS ALWAYS BEEN PAID TO ESTABLISHING THIS IMAGE AND IT IS NECESSARY FOR A LEADER TO HAVE THESE THINGS TO LEAD MAKE ALLIES AND INTIMIDATE ENEMY'S. THIS HAS LED TO THE BREEDING OF THE ARABIAN HORSES, BEAUTIFUL WORKMANSHIP ON SADDLES, WEAPONS, CLOTHES AND ART. FIGHTING FROM HORSEBACK MADE A LONGER SWORD WITH A CURVE PRACTICAL AS THE CURVE ALLOWED A DRAW CUT FROM ABOVE ON HORSE BACK RATHER THAN A CHOP OR THRUST. THE CURVED BLADE BOTH INSIDE CURVE AS IN THE KOPESH AND OUTSIDE IN SAIF, IS FOUND ON MANY OTHER SWORDS HAVING NO CONNECTION TO HORSEMEN. BUT I WONDER WHERE AND WHY THE OUTSIDE CURVE EVOLVED ORIGINALLY AS IT IS IDEAL FOR SLICING DOWNWARD AT SPEED AS ON HORSEBACK.

Certainly this is true of Morocco regarding horses ...and there's a great addition to the subject in Saddles and Horses in the region. I did a thread on Camels previously and noted how much the Horse held sway as an important combat vehicle up til even recently... and extensively in WW1 and before.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 6th October 2016 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"And now for something completely different" ...

What is this?

It took me hours to arrive at a half believable post on how this man was interned in the New Caledonian Islands off North East Australia by the French from Anjoun in the Grand Comoros Islands off the South East coast of Africa. ....

From gravure tirée de l'Illustration, 1891,
le sultan Said Athmann, chef des rebelles d'Anjoun,
interné en Nouvelle-Calédonie.

But anyway...Grainy photo...Easy Question... What is the sword? :shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 7th October 2016 03:06 PM

:)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 7th October 2016 03:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The question may be obscure in that perhaps I should have said why? Why this sword? Of course it is one of those Other oriental swords at plate XXX11 of Butin on #16 and more the style we associate with Zanzibar/Oman. Michael Backman at http://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/65.html goes on to note on the decorative form of his East African comb from which the decorative style appears to be linked to this Zanzibari Sword. ...This hilt was therefor likely made in Zanzibar as it was a collecting centre for Ivory and the scabbard form is usually Oman..decorated in leather with Omani style circles. Omani artisans were in Zanzibar as part of the flow of traders/artesans from Oman as Zanzibar flourished.

Quote "
This fine and extremely rare ivory comb is a beautiful example of Zanzibar craftsmanship. Cut from a single piece of ivory, it has sixteen prongs and is inlaid on both sides with chased gold plaques. There are no losses either to the gold or the ivory. It is of an unusual form and has in the past been attributed to SriLanka, but the gold panels and the form of the ivory can now be seen to related to the ivory and gold work used on Omani-influenced sword hilts that were manufactured in Zanzibar in the eighteenth century."Unquote

The more I think about it the more I suspect the correct name for these weapons is Zanzibari...although good reason indicates their use in a broad belt across the Indian Ocean. Perhaps looking across the entire Indian Ocean basin evidence is there of the Zanzibari Nimcha form (of which there are many) on the outer Islands, Comores, Off the Zanj coast, Yemen , Oman, and including Sri Lankan style shown at Butins plate XXX11.

On the Kastana I stumble when it comes to the flimsy blade and at the quillons which are from the Vagra as opposed to any sword association... however, since when was blade style important when signifying the blade of a Nimcha? Perhaps more leeway could be extended to the Vagra form since on earlier weapons perhaps they didn't have any...? It seems to me that more than a passing note may be applied to Butin at this important plate XXX11 and other members may wish to comment...

To assist I place again the Butin Plate XXX11 the Gold Comb decoration now related to Zanzibari Hilts and the typical Omani Scabbard with circle or swirl decoration.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 7th October 2016 03:49 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I just realized this one below clearly in the Sri Lankan style with the silver hilt has an inverted knuckle guard.

I note there are contradictions on Butin as one example has no Knuckleguard at all whilst the other is formed correctly...(1005/ 893 on plate XXX11) though they are slightly different interpretations of the hilt; serpent/lion.

Was Butin, therefor, pointing to a more Indian Ocean Basin interpretation of the Zanzibari Nimcha?

One question that is burning a hole in the page and to which I have no answer thus I throw it open to Forum is this... Looking at Sri Lankan style below; Is it possible that the Zanzibari (Indian Ocean Basin) form evolved directly from this Kastane type...creating a sword with quillons as per the European style and adapting the basic serpent/ lion /horse? hilt. and virtually identical knuckle guard and grip geometry?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 9th October 2016 03:44 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Scabbard Furniture on The Zanzibari Nimcha.

Please view swords 1004 and 1007 on Butins chart XXX11. Below..

In what looks like an imported item the scabbard upper ring furniture is interesting and can be seen on many examples of the Zanzibari Nimcha style. Could this be an import from one of the sword making centres either in Yemen at Hadramaut or Hyderabad in India; famous for making mercenary swords?

It appears, in my view, to be a copy or direct import from the Ottoman Kilij stable. In the centre rectangle local work appears in the form of a golden square section which may be from local gold decorating workshops of the Golden Comb style...however, simple applied gold squares are an Omani jewellery technique seen below ...and I show an Omani workshop in Zanzibar where this could have easily been decorated and applied.

In conclusion this is the final technical piece regarding sword parts of the Zanzibari Nimcha and following the Omani artisan technique of sub contracting work out to local workshops much as they do today with Khanjars and swords and where several specialists can be reached and the work completed and put together as one piece. It would be not unusual for one craftsman to complete the leather scabbard whilst another did the silver adornment, another the leather decoration, another the hilt carving, and another the goldwork...final fixture and fitting etc. I suggest that this would all have been quite normal in Zanzibar in those days and that the name Zanzibari Nimcha or Saif is probably correct since in this way the entire weapon may have been made there. Several craftsmen perhaps from Oman, Zanzibar, Sri Lanka and else where may have been responsible for the final product..and numerous others; Ivory traders, merchants and dealers may have also been involved.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 11th October 2016 08:37 AM

I should add that the Zanzibari Nimcha is not known by that name in Zanzibar or Oman~ The local name is Habashi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 17th October 2016 04:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More backup illustrating the furniture on the scabbard; Note the play on the figure 5 dots on the bare wood scabbard ... :shrug:

kronckew 20th October 2016 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
found this interesting video of the moroccan sport of tbourida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHdKvm_ztMM

search youtube on 'tbourida' for even more

it shows some of the teams wearing 'nimcha' (and 'saif') sabres, harnessed across their backs, hilt down by the hip and scabbard chape sticking up over their right shoulder. some cool weapons...

tbourida 'accessories':

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 21st October 2016 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
found this interesting video of the moroccan sport of tbourida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHdKvm_ztMM

search youtube on 'tbourida' for even more

it shows some of the teams wearing 'nimcha' (and 'saif') sabres, harnessed across their backs, hilt down by the hip and scabbard chape sticking up over their right shoulder. some cool weapons...

tbourida 'accessories':

Salaams Kronkew~ and thank you for the excellent detail regarding the Tbourida . These Barb horses famous for centuries in Morocco are amazing...see https://sg.news.yahoo.com/tradition-...002401450.html

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th July 2017 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Placing this weapon for library from The JF Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum;

Accession Number: MO 63.1513 Collection:
Gifts from Heads of State
Title: Nimcha Sword and Sheath Maker: Maker unknown Date(s) of Materials: 19th century Place Made: Morocco Medium: Silver, wood, steel Dimensions: 42" Description: Sword with hilt and silver knuckle guard, which is formed by a long turned down quillon. The grip is composed of fluted wood. The sheath is covered with chased silver plating. The steel blade is slightly curved. Gifter: Moulay Hamid Alaoui, Pacha of Kenitra, Morocco Copyright Status: Donated to the United States Digital Identifier: JFKSG-MO-1963-1513 Subject(s):
Gifts
Heads of state

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th July 2017 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tipu Sultan The Lion of Mysore had among his many weapons in his private armoury this Moroccan Nimcha with probably a blade from the Caucasus according to the report in French at http://www.tessier-sarrou.com/html/f...rdre=&aff=5&r=

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th July 2017 03:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
An item not always noted in Moroccan swords is the strap or Baldric on which it hangs off the shoulder seen here and at #61; This was followed by Muslim soldiers because their leader, The Prophet, wore his sword in the same fashion.

See fig 1 at https://books.google.com.om/books?id...aldric&f=false

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 4th August 2017 10:32 AM

The Baldric.

5 Attachment(s)
During the early Islamic years, the Arabs sheathed their weapons in baldrics. The use of sword and baldric was consciously abandoned by the Abbasid caliph al-Mutawakkil (847-861) in favor of the saber and belt. But the use of sword and baldric seems to have retained a ceremonial and religious significance. For example, the Zangid ruler Nur ad-Din (1146-74) was anxious to demonstrate that he was a pious traditionalist, searching out the old methods preferred by the Prophet. Consequently, among his reforms he re-adopted the custom of wearing a sword suspended from a baldric. His successor Salah ad-Din (1138-1193), known in the west as Saladin, did the same and it is noteworthy that he was buried with his sword, he took it with him to Paradise.

The Baldric in the high mount was used by the Prophet and that was why the invaders from the Moroccan Berber side used it in the same way.
So I was pondering the question of Zanzibari and Moroccan Nimchas.. and in particular the key element of the knuckle-guard which you will recall is completely different with a broad right angle at the base of the Moroccan and a bulbous rounded knuckle-guard bend at the base in the Zanzibar example.

In the Moroccan. See the artwork below. The requirement was for a shoulder strap Baldric mounting so that when riding into battle the sword was firmly held up on the left rib cage area under the left arm region...and flat against the body formed by the horsehead broad grip and the big right angled knuckleguard and quillons so the weapon was firm and safe... In this position the rider could operate his long barrel gun and gallop hard onwards... The sword til needed was safe against his body.
When dismounted, See Artwork below, he could retain that carry or opt for the long drag position placing the hilt about between his hip and knee where his draw hand could reach.. Thus they used the Baldric in its two styles.
Insofar as the Pommel top; a decorated or simple button was used or even a decorative geometric fish.

In the Zanzibari Not the same ...They used the weapon from a sash belt or basic waist belt...They didn't ride horses into battle. No need for the right angle knuckle-guard base moreover a need for a smooth uncluttered draw...The rounded knuckle guard bend seems logical.
Insofar as the Pommel top button the pattern shape of the Turtle was used in the Zanzibari type but only there.

In development from one region to another it is suggested that the older history comes from the Moroccan sphere so that the weapon must have stepped from North Africa across the Sahara by camel train or by ship around the Cape or down the Red Sea and to Zanzibar. Other forms are witnessed in the Red Sea region and it is unclear if they had bounced off Zanzibar or entered these places direct from North Africa.... probably the former. Either way the weapon diffused from Morocco to Zanzibar.

Blade and Scabbard development appears to be very distinctly different with beautiful Magrebi cloisonne and gold and silver inscribed Quranic verses lavishly adorning the North African version whilst Red Sea / Yemeni or Indian plain blades seem to populate Zanzibari Nimcha. In one style of Omani Zanzibari ornate hand carved Ivory hilts beautifully plated with golden decor may be a VIP weapon or Court Sword; See Below.

Gonzalo G 5th August 2017 07:08 AM

It is a pity that the historical evidence does not support this complicated hypothesis (better call it assumption). Swords with cuphilts, laces, circular knuckleguards, protective rings, etc., were carried by a baldric on horse, without problem. See the way in wich the Spaniards carried their rapiers: they used baldrics, and the swords can be accomodated by the lenght of the baldric. I think that the form of the knuckleguard of the Moroccan Nimcha was a matter of fashion, though I admit that the rounded knuckleguard allows for a more easy grasp.

kronckew 5th August 2017 09:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the french and other countries were also fond of carrying them on baldrics. rapiers were not the light fencing foils or epees you see in old films, they were as heavy as many other sword types. a baldric puts the weight more comfortably on the shoulder. both belt and baldric types were used on horse, with the rapiers and wider bladed versions favoured by the military of the day.

i've always found it odd that many rapier carrying arrangements had a strap running diagonally from the front of the sword frog to a mount on the other side of the belt buckle across your crotch. an affectation not found on arabian sword hangers, or later european ones for that matter. 'the town guard' and 'graf pappenheim' included for illustration.

fernando 5th August 2017 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
... i've always found it odd that many rapier carrying arrangements had a strap running diagonally from the front of the sword frog to a mount on the other side of the belt buckle across your crotch...

Wasn't that to prevent your carrier from falling back, so that when you seat it conflicts with your back section ... or your horse croup ?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 6th August 2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
It is a pity that the historical evidence does not support this complicated hypothesis (better call it assumption). Swords with cuphilts, laces, circular knuckleguards, protective rings, etc., were carried by a baldric on horse, without problem. See the way in wich the Spaniards carried their rapiers: they used baldrics, and the swords can be accomodated by the lenght of the baldric. I think that the form of the knuckleguard of the Moroccan Nimcha was a matter of fashion, though I admit that the rounded knuckleguard allows for a more easy grasp.

Although the clear historical evidence has somehow escaped your attention it is well documented that the Sword of the Prophet was carried in this manner. I do not speak of cuphilts in this discussion... but of the Moroccan Nimcha (an Islamic creation)with a distinct lineage via the Berber situation of Zinette back through the centuries to the 7th.

I didn't mention anything about the rounded Zanzibari knuckle-guard being an easier grasp in fact I note the difference since the broad neck strap seen at #75 above pulls the Moroccan sword higher so that it lodges firmly at the left rib-cage area held more steady by the squared off knuckleguard base, broad flat horse-head pommel, and quilons.