Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Dah for the Dah crew (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20168)

Gavin Nugent 2nd July 2015 12:43 PM

A Dah for the Dah crew

1 Attachment(s)
There seems to be a lot of posts with Dah of late and I am often asked to share more of mine...so here is one recently bought with the help of a fellow member.
It has some of the finest silver work I have seen in a long time, has a makers seal stamp to the base and very unusual inlay to the tip of the blade.

Gavin

drac2k 2nd July 2015 01:05 PM

That's not a daa, that's a WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are indeed a very lucky man!Any chance for some close-ups ?

Iain 2nd July 2015 01:36 PM

It's as nice in the hand as it looks. ;)

CharlesS 2nd July 2015 01:58 PM

Just a gorgeeeeeeeeeeez piece. The sword itself is lovely, but the scabbard mounts are spectacular!

Ian 2nd July 2015 04:08 PM

Gavin:

Very nice dha/daab. This one is almost certainly coming from our old friends the Husa in Yunnan, perhaps with some Shan elite silversmithing, arising from that part of the Shan territory near the junction of Burma, Yunnan, and Thailand. We have discussed Husa dha/daab here before and the stamp at forte resembles other examples of their work. Brass inlaid dots are found occasionally on other Husa blades.

Top quality example of this type of dha/daab.

Ian.

Ian 2nd July 2015 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another example of the same genre with extensive silver work.

Ian.

Sajen 2nd July 2015 11:44 PM

Hi Gavin,

nice dha indeed and I agree what others have said already. Do you have a guess how old this beauty could be?

Regards,
Detlef

Gavin Nugent 3rd July 2015 10:18 AM

Thanks gents,

In response to notes and questions

Drac2K, I will certainly provide further close ups over the coming week as time permits.

Iain, thank you. Iain has had the benefit of handling this sword. It is near perfect in form and quality and it is exceptionally fast in the hand, the size and elliptical grip certainly aids this.

Charles, exactly the reason I chased it! You will see the exacting same detail throughout every silver application.

Ian, thank you. It is one of the finer examples from the region.

Sajen, an exact age I cannot estimate. I will play safe and say circa 1900, could be older and could be up to 1930's. If the makers seal was documented and known, it would be easier.

Gavin

Nathaniel 18th July 2015 03:06 AM

Congratulations Gavin on the stellar daab. Grade A condition! The scabbard as Charles highlights really is the thing that pops out at you. Very well executed silverwork. Look at that Lotus bud pommel! Very well done! Chinese cloud motifs...it is a wonderful mix of Chinese and Tai motifs. Based on the silverwork, I'm guessing there is a chinese stamp of the silver smith on the inside mouth of the scabbard? Oh, I see you already mentioned that. Not HuSa made, Ian. It's not a HuSa makers mark...nor the motifs HuSa. Still from Yunnan or border areas. It's interesting the square tip...most I have seen have either a lotus bud tip or more pointed tip. The three inlaid brass dots too is something unique, as more commonly you see just one brass dot inlaid at the tip.

Andrew 1st August 2015 08:56 PM

Gorgeous Husa/Yunnan sword, Gavin. Thank you for sharing. :cool:

Gavin Nugent 12th September 2015 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its not clear or crisp but it gives you an idea.

Gavin