Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   water-found knight sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9989)

cornelistromp 17th April 2009 04:25 PM

water-found knight sword

6 Attachment(s)
Type: XVI
FIND PLACE: Maas in the Netherlands 1970
OVERALL LENGTH: 106cm
BLADE LENGTH: 87,5 cm
BLADE WIDTH: 5 cm
WEIGHT: 1195 gr
POMMEL TYPE: (still) unclassified
CROSS STYLE: 6
DATE:1300-1350
CONDITION: river-found excellent.beautiful flint-hart coat of Goethite (FeOoh) which is formed by the chemical interaction of rust wit the chemical constituent of the surrounding mud of the river Maas in the "silent" 600 years.
there is no corrosion, the erosion on the edges is the result of wear and honing.the blade is identical to Oakeshott
XVI.3 records of the medieval sword.

cornelistromp 17th April 2009 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

sabertasche 18th April 2009 10:16 PM

Very nice, are there any marks on the blade to indicate a specific maker?

Gre

cornelistromp 19th April 2009 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabertasche
Very nice, are there any marks on the blade to indicate a specific maker?

Gre

Hi Gre,

thank you!
I can not trace any marks on the blade maybe under the patina-layer which I don't want to harm.

furthermore there are 2 half-moon shaped marks punched in the beginning of the fuller on the tang.(see picture)

best regards

Robert 20th April 2009 03:50 PM

Hi Cornelis,
Beautiful sword! Could you possible give the dimensions on the pommel? Thanks.

Robert

cornelistromp 20th April 2009 06:30 PM

Hi Robert,

thanks, of course.
H: 50MM
diameter:48MM

best regards

Paul Macdonald 21st April 2009 11:40 PM

A lovely sword, and many thanks for posting this with dimensions.

I`m thinking this could well be a nice project for future reproduction.

Of interest, the pommel is an identical form and of very similar size and decoration of that on the Bruce sword, a two hander in the possession of Lord Elgin, direct descendant of the Bruce.

The legend behind that sword is that it was owned and used by the Bruce himself. Some experts have doubted the authenticity of the sword, but this detail in itself points exactly to the Bruce period. The first similar example I have seen :)

Jim McDougall 23rd April 2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Macdonald
A lovely sword, and many thanks for posting this with dimensions.

I`m thinking this could well be a nice project for future reproduction.

Of interest, the pommel is an identical form and of very similar size and decoration of that on the Bruce sword, a two hander in the possession of Lord Elgin, direct descendant of the Bruce.

The legend behind that sword is that it was owned and used by the Bruce himself. Some experts have doubted the authenticity of the sword, but this detail in itself points exactly to the Bruce period. The first similar example I have seen :)

Hi Paul,
Its great to have you posting with us! Its been a while.
Interesting note on the pommel, if I am not mistaken, and probably not of great importance, but isnt the striated effect on the pommel similar to some basket hilt pommels in Scotland during the 17th century?

All the best,
Jim