Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Part Japanese Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23794)

Norman McCormick 5th April 2018 05:24 PM

Part Japanese Armour

12 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have absolutely no experience with Japanese items apart from a sword which I sold some 40 odd years ago. I know the arm guards are Kote and the thigh guard is Haidate and that is it, therefore I would appreciate it if any knowledgeable members would care to enlighten me as to the when, where etc.
Regards,
Norman.

Norman McCormick 5th April 2018 05:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More photographs.
Regards,
Norman.

Battara 5th April 2018 11:18 PM

Very nice. Wish I could wear them! :D

Oliver Pinchot 6th April 2018 02:25 AM

You will be reassured to know that they can be precisely dated to the Edo Period (1603-1868.)

Norman McCormick 6th April 2018 04:21 PM

Hi,
Many thanks for the kind words and information. I have a few questions. Who was likely to wear this kind of armour? I have the impression that it was probably a retainer rather than anyone of rank. The Edo period spans quite a number of years, is there anyway of narrowing the timeline or was this armour type used more or less unchanged throughout the time period 1603-1868?
My Regards,
Norman.

Bob A 6th April 2018 04:42 PM

Fascinating to see this, thank you.

The cordage used to fasten the armor to the arms looks modern. Is that the case?

Norman McCormick 6th April 2018 05:17 PM

Hi Bob,
The cord, is as far as I'm aware, contemporary with the rest of the armour.
Regards,
Norman.

fernando 6th April 2018 05:25 PM

Broadening your collecting area, Norman ... and shrinking your sporran ? ;) .

David R 6th April 2018 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Samurai retainer. The presence of a hand-guard is the give away.... Ashigaru armour lacks this feature. See picture.

Norman McCormick 9th April 2018 07:05 PM

Hi,
David, thank you for the illustration and clarification :)
My Regards,
Norman.

Norman McCormick 9th April 2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Broadening your collecting area, Norman ... and shrinking your sporran ? ;) .

Hi Fernando,
A SHRINKING SPORRAN aaaaaaagh :eek: :eek: :eek: blasphemy sheer blasphemy!!!!!! :D

Just following an old tradition, have you never heard of Thomas Blake Glover the 'Scottish Samurai'!
Kind Regards,
Norman.

P.S. The wife wants to know if you've picked up any new four legged waifs recently?

fernando 9th April 2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
... The wife wants to know if you've picked up any new four legged waifs recently?...

Yes, Carolina; a she dog abandoned in the city park, needing full (all twelve) mastectomy. She is presently doing fine, though :cool:.
... But the bill also shrank my sporran, mo charaid :shrug:

Norman McCormick 10th April 2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Yes, Carolina; a she dog abandoned in the city park, needing full (all twelve) mastectomy. She is presently doing fine, though :cool:.
... But the bill also shrank my sporran, mo charaid :shrug:

Fernando you're still her hero, photo request of latest addition to my e-mail.
Kind Regards,
Norman