Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   French Sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17822)

DhaDha 18th November 2013 04:03 AM

French Sword

4 Attachment(s)
Hello. This is out of my usual scope, but i quite like it. I bought it as a French Court Sword. I'm hoping for help with dating other than my "old" estimate and.
There are identical markings on both sides:

An inscription, three Fleur De Lis (sp?) and what looks like a sun. (Maybe Louis XIV? just a guess??)

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers

fernando 18th November 2013 01:49 PM

The inscription contains the supplier's name and address and reads:
Givergne Md Fourbisseur Rue Vieille Boucherie à l'Épée Royale à Paris.
A mid XVIII century sword, most probably from King Louis XVI period ... Fleur de Lis and all.

DhaDha 18th November 2013 04:03 PM

Excellent. And thank you.

Jim McDougall 20th November 2013 04:13 PM

Very nice example, especially with this remarkable grouping of markings which give us the exact information we need, as Fernando has concisely detailed. It is good to see some dimension added to the rather immensely applied classification of 'old' :) and for those interested in French history or their weapons....even better both! they can follow that course to develop an interesting historical profile of this piece.
As always, we hope that information might be shared here for others pursuing data on these weapons and archived here.

Thank you DhaDha for posting this and Nando for the excellent response!

Best regards,
Jim

M ELEY 24th November 2013 01:14 AM

So good to hear from you, Jim, and I would also agree with Fernando's summation to the Sun King's era. Wasn't it common to see this marking on swords during his reign? In any case, a beautiful example of a court sword; not too 'frilly' nor overbearing. I especially like the ovoid pommel with raised cap and stylistic knuckle bows.

DhaDha 24th November 2013 07:14 AM

Thank you all for the comments. I'll learn a lot from this sword. As I have from this forum...

Dmitry 1st May 2021 11:20 PM

This a Model 1767 French cavalry or dragoon officer's sword. An excellent sword, congratulations!

corrado26 2nd May 2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando (Post 162668)
Rue Vieille Boucherie à l'Épée Royale .[/B]

Fernando, pas "BOUCHERIE", mais "BOUCLERIE", une petite mais importante difference

fernando 2nd May 2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26 (Post 262173)
Fernando, pas "BOUCHERIE", mais "BOUCLERIE", une petite mais importante difference

Surely a (my) spelling flaw ;).

ulfberth 2nd May 2021 04:52 PM

the maker Givergne Md Fourbisseur Rue Vieille Boucherie à l'Épée Royale à Paris worked for the French Royal court between 1774-77

fernando 2nd May 2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando (Post 262177)
Surely a (my) spelling flaw ;).

... Or maybe a flaw of the engraver. The street had many different names, boucherie and bouclerie included. But it all indicates that this supplier is listed as having resided in the street when it as named Vieille Boucherie.

http://www.francegenweb.org/wiki/ind...ille_Boucherie

Udo, i find it amazing that it took you eight years to spot un (possible) faux pas ;):rolleyes: .

corrado26 3rd May 2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando (Post 262195)

Udo, i find it amazing that it took you eight years to spot un (possible) faux pas ;):rolleyes: .

As always, good things mostly need a long time to develop:)

DhaDha 4th May 2021 09:16 PM

Once again, fantastic information here. Thank you all.