Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spear ID (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28700)

JeffS 19th March 2023 05:40 AM

Spear ID

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone recognize this style? 39.5 cm OAL. Heavy duty tang.

Battara 19th March 2023 06:07 AM

Kind of looks Indonesian to me, maybe Borneo, but shorter than usual. The base also looks a little Chinese, but I could be wrong.

Ian 19th March 2023 08:25 PM

Hi Jeff,

Judging from the heavy construction of the blade and tang, this one could be a lance head. It looks as though it has been around for a while and has been used a lot. Nice piece.

I don't recognize the style.

JeffS 20th March 2023 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 280461)
Hi Jeff,

Judging from the heavy construction of the blade and tang, this one could be a lance head. It looks as though it has been around for a while and has been used a lot. Nice piece.

I don't recognize the style.

Interesting. Would that limit origin geographically? We don't often discuss mounted combat in SE Asia

Sajen 20th March 2023 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS (Post 280470)
Interesting. Would that limit origin geographically? We don't often discuss mounted combat in SE Asia

I think that it is of South-East-Asian origin.

Regards,
Detlef

Ian 21st March 2023 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS (Post 280470)

I don't know the answer to that question Jeff.

Attachment 225401

In looking further at your spear head, I notice that it has some old damage to the blade. In a blow up of your picture, I see a piece missing on the bottom edge (arrowed). There is a crack in the steel which may have been a forging flaw or caused by contact. I think I can see evidence of lamination elsewhere also. This appears to be a laminated blade with some age—at least late 19th C., maybe earlier.

DavidFriedman 21st March 2023 06:26 PM

Vietnamese

Could it be a Vietnamese specimen?

DavidFriedman 21st March 2023 06:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Notice the similar concentric ring design on the collar, and obviously, the SE Asian tang, found on this Nguyen dynasty Vietnamese Snake/hook lance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 280523)
I don't know the answer to that question Jeff.

Attachment 225401

In looking further at your spear head, I notice that it has some old damage to the blade. In a blow up of your picture, I see a piece missing on the bottom edge (arrowed). There is a crack in the steel which may have been a forging flaw or caused by contact. I think I can see evidence of lamination elsewhere also. This appears to be a laminated blade with some age—at least late 19th C., maybe earlier.

Ian 22nd March 2023 04:23 AM

Hi DavidF,

That looks a fairly good match. As Battara noted earlier, there is a "Chinese feel" to this piece, and that would fit with a Viet provenance during the Nguyen Dynasty.

JeffS 22nd March 2023 04:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 280523)
In looking further at your spear head, I notice that it has some old damage to the blade. In a blow up of your picture, I see a piece missing on the bottom edge (arrowed). There is a crack in the steel which may have been a forging flaw or caused by contact.

I was assuming all the cracks were cold shuts, but the area you point out is cracked on both sides and the profile slightly distorted at that location. Thank you for pointing that out.

Ian 22nd March 2023 04:38 AM

Thanks Jeff, the extra pics show that this is indeed a laminated blade. The cracked edge looks very much the result of of a heavy blow from a sharp, heavy edged weapon. The edge has been ground back subsequently to smooth out the deficit in the blade. This is a gnarly old weapon that has seen heavy action. Someone thought it was worth repairing the edge and putting it back into service. Nice old piece.

JeffS 22nd March 2023 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidFriedman (Post 280559)
Notice the similar concentric ring design on the collar, and obviously, the SE Asian tang, found on this Nguyen dynasty Vietnamese Snake/hook lance.

Interesting. I've also noted that Sumatran spears sometimes have a similar collar as well.

fernando 22nd March 2023 11:11 AM

Does Jeff's piece have any relation with this one? :o.

Ian 22nd March 2023 01:07 PM

Hi Fernando. Hard to say, I think. Both heads are of a fairly basic shape that works well and is found widely. We don't have a shaft for Jeff's piece, so no clues there.

Maj-Biffy Snodgrass 22nd March 2023 07:11 PM

my 2 pennies worth.

BATAK LANCE 19thc.
as here
With de laminations due to age not necessarily battle damage, although could be damage through use-battle.

https://www.quaibranly.fr/fr/explore.../1460-lance;):)

Gavin Nugent 23rd March 2023 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass (Post 280632)
BATAK LANCE 19thc.
as here
With de laminations due to age not necessarily battle damage, although could be damage through use-battle.

Sumatra to my eye too.

Ian 23rd March 2023 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass (Post 280632)
BATAK LANCE 19thc.
as here

Hi BS,

Yes, there are a number of possible candidates. The pics in the link are not high quality. I've reproduced them here for our records. As can be seen, the blade and bolster are different from the OP.

Maj-Biffy Snodgrass 23rd March 2023 02:19 PM

spear head

Hi Ian, the spear head Jeffs shows is certainly very much akin to the lance sown in your enlarged pics, one thinks also that due to size it is likely a lance head rather than a spear head, there are in fact a number of old b+w pics from the old days that are showing such lances in the hands of Batak warriors on line, sadly at present one is still learning to navigate the site, have not yet learned to add pics. snoddy