Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mindanao sundang for comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13739)

henri 2nd May 2011 02:25 AM

Mindanao sundang for comments

10 Attachment(s)
Hello guys ,

Here is the last sundang I have bought and would like to get your thoughts .
That will be my 1st one with a swastika symbol ....
Brass and silver for the hit . Blade in pretty good condition .

Thank you all for your inputs .

Henri

Battara 2nd May 2011 05:15 AM

Greetings Henri,

Your kris is a newer made kris that may have been rehilted. The ganga is not separate which means it is recent, and the grip area with the repousse work is Chinese (or Buddhist Indonesian?).

Robert 2nd May 2011 05:36 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Just so the pictures are easier to view.

Robert

kai 3rd May 2011 12:01 PM

Hello Henri,

Quote:

Your kris is a newer made kris that may have been rehilted. The ganga is not separate which means it is recent, and the grip area with the repousse work is Chinese (or Buddhist Indonesian?).
I agree with Jose that the grip area doesn't appear to be Moro work. The scabbard looks like later Sulu work (WW2?) and the blade could also be from there. BTW, what are the dimensions?

While there are hints that the separation line may only be engraved, it does look like being done deep and also the rest of the blade shows pretty good workmanship for 20th century work - I'd suggest probing with a fine needle to verify. In any case, my guess would be 1920-1940.

Regards,
Kai

henri 3rd May 2011 09:59 PM

I agree with Jose that the grip area doesn't appear to be Moro work. The scabbard looks like later Sulu work (WW2?) and the blade could also be from there. BTW, what are the dimensions?

While there are hints that the separation line may only be engraved, it does look like being done deep and also the rest of the blade shows pretty good workmanship for 20th century work - I'd suggest probing with a fine needle to verify. In any case, my guess would be 1920-1940.

Regards,
Kai

Thank you Kai for your kind reply .

The blade is 550 mm and with the hilt the overall length is 710 mm .
It s not a separate ganja . Asang asang probably a mix of coper and brass .

I agree the hilt is recently made with kalaw-kalaw octogonal style top
Sheath and blade from Sulu origin ? I will do some more research but not yet sure you are 100% !
Anyway , I will keep you posted and thank you again for your comments .

Henri

Battara 3rd May 2011 10:58 PM

It could be Sulu - they are still making blades there. I have seen very recent blades like this come from there made in the 1960s and 70s. Try to etch it and see what happens. :shrug: