Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Questions about Jatagan blade (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11723)

chregu 30th March 2010 08:21 PM

Questions about Jatagan blade

3 Attachment(s)
hello together
The same friend has this Jatagan, I think from the Balkans, the blade is auser well. Can anyone read the brand?
Thanks for the info.
gruss Chregu

TVV 1st April 2010 07:05 AM

Nice short yataghan that deserves some comments. I agree that it is Balkan, and more particularly Greek. Some authors would place this type of hilt in Eastern Anatolia, but I tend to disagree.

I cannot help with the inscription - hopefully Zifir, who is the resident expert on Turkish script, and who is always very nice and willing to help, will come across this thread. But based on examples in books and Oriental Arms archive of sold items, yataghans with this type of hilt tend to fall in a time frame of approximately half a century, between 1780 and 1830.

Regards,
Teodor

Martin Lubojacky 1st April 2010 04:57 PM

Not being an yathagan expert I would just like to pint out, that:
I have seen this kind of engraving on the yathagan blades in Balkan
and
such hilt you can find on yathagans alongside the South - Mediterranean coast (e.g. Jerba Isle in Tunnisia etc.).
(strange combination ?)
Regards,
Martin

TVV 1st April 2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Not being an yathagan expert I would just like to pint out, that:
I have seen this kind of engraving on the yathagan blades in Balkan
and
such hilt you can find on yathagans alongside the South - Mediterranean coast (e.g. Jerba Isle in Tunnisia etc.).
(strange combination ?)
Regards,
Martin

Martin,

How many of these similar yataghans are found in Jerba - a whole group with clear provenance, or just an odd one or two? The latter could easily be attributed to trade, such as described in Dr. Elgood's latest book. The ports along the Adriatic and Ionian had ties with the Maghreb.

Regards,
Teodor

Dom 2nd April 2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
I cannot help with the inscription - hopefully Zifir, who is the resident expert on Turkish script, and who is always very nice and willing to help, will come across this thread.

Hi
you are correct Theodor,
because at evidence, it's not wrote in arabic :confused:
and I cannot be helpful :shrug:

à +

Dom

tom hyle 2nd April 2010 03:20 PM

The large round mark seems to be hotstruck, while the rest seems to have been engraved cold? This is reminiscent of Mexican fighting machetes and bowies, where the maker's mark is struck hot with a stamp, and the illustrations and mottos are engraved.