Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nice Kris Holder for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=408)

Lew 7th March 2005 02:17 AM

Nice Kris Holder for comment

Hi Guys

I finally got one! Seems to be of decent quality?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...304184432&rd=1

Lew

Battara 7th March 2005 03:08 PM

Very nice Hanuman stand, I like the gold wash on it.

Conogre 7th March 2005 03:29 PM

Nice catch Lew...it looks to be very well carved and quite intricate, which often seems to be the norm for Bali and Indonesia where carving tools MUST be imbued with magic if the end result has any bearing on it.....now you can "monkey around" with your collection a little more.
Mike

capt.smash 7th March 2005 03:30 PM

Hehe i came so close to bidding on that :D

Freddy 7th March 2005 08:07 PM

Hey Lew. Welcome to the 'Hanuman club'.

Look at my keris holder. I think it has been around for quite some years. I found this one in an antique shop in my town. The seller thought it was a statue from an Balinese temple.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eelding894.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eelding895.jpg

Don't mind the keris. I know it's not the right kind for this statue. For the moment, I have no Balinese keris in my collection. ;)

BSMStar 7th March 2005 10:36 PM

Here's another... but not Hanuman

Hi Lew!

I almost bid on this one too... glad I didn't compete with you. Let me know how you like it. I might nab one..... I bought a different one from this from the same eBayer....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

You will see this one again (he has more than one). They are mass-produced, but I'm happy with it. :)

BSMStar

nechesh 7th March 2005 10:43 PM

Hey Wayne, i got that very same rack from the same seller. Did yours arrive intact?

nechesh 8th March 2005 12:28 AM

As Wayne points out, his rack is somewhat mass-produced which is why mine looks so much like his. I also have one of these hanuman holders and i like it just fine as well, but we should keep in mind that these examples are really only modern knock-offs of older traditional forms that were carved much more intricately out off much better, denser woods. The shipping alone on some of these nicer antique examples would be more than the cost of Lew's piece alone just because of the weight of these pieces. The way i look at it is, i have my collection displayed in two of these racks like Wayne's, a number of Javanese style wall board's, a hanuman holder like Lew's (but painted differently) and a converted wooden box that used to hold Unibroue beer (i painted it red and black and trimmed it w/gold and now it holds 3 keris). I PREFER to displaying my keris in these traditional style holders, but you sure can't beat the price on that converted beer box. ;)

Mick 8th March 2005 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another rather traditional piece. It is new, but well done. Note that this combination is not top heavy. It did, however cost a lot more than the others listed.

BSMStar 8th March 2005 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just walked in after watching the ISS "fly" over... and WOW, I can never get over watching it (and I've lost track of how many times I have watched it fly over)!!! :D

Hi nechesh... yes, it was well boxed and arrived in one piece.

Mick.... would the Balinese call that a Drog or a Fog?? :confused: ;)
I like it! Nice Keris too!

Here is a great Javanese (type) holder you can get from our own Forumite Adni (you should get one if you don't have one!!!!!!) Sorry for the dark picture. I've got several of these Keris holders...

BSMStar 8th March 2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy
Hey Lew. Welcome to the 'Hanuman club'.

Look at my keris holder. I think it has been around for quite some years. I found this one in an antique shop in my town. The seller thought it was a statue from an Balinese temple.

Hi Freddy,

Great Hanuman! It’s difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks early 20c (maybe a little older). I would be proud to have it.

BSMStar

Naga Basuki 8th March 2005 01:37 PM

Keris Holder

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my favorite keris holder. Apologies for the direct flash pictures. These are just pix for insurance coverage. The detail shows better if i was using side lighting.

Mick 8th March 2005 02:27 PM

Come on Naga Basuki, please flip the full view pictures after you resize them.

This is not a tourist piece. It was probably made for real use as a keris holder in Bali as was my frog. Forum members should note the size of the base for this figure compared to its total size. The normal tourist pieces have bases that are much smaller than this piece. This actually makes them more unstable for real use. When you put a keris into the hands of a tourist piece the top heavy keris added to the narrow base of the figure may spell doom for a highly prized keris.

Naga Basuki 8th March 2005 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick
Come on Naga Basuki, please flip the full view pictures after you resize them.

Hi Micky,

I have looked through the "manage attachments" and can not find anything about "flip the full view pictures." Please advise.

Thanks for the kind words about my keris holder.

Best Regards
Bill Marsh
Atlanta GA

Mark 8th March 2005 03:45 PM

You need to flip the original picture before loading it. You can usually do this with the "preview" in Windows Explorer. Or you can use any photo editing software.

Naga Basuki 8th March 2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
You need to flip the original picture before loading it. You can usually do this with the "preview" in Windows Explorer. Or you can use any photo editing software.

DONE. That be "Rotate" Dudes. I have also resized them to 800 pixels wide.

Houze that?

Learn something new every day. How do you like the pictures now?

mmontoro 8th March 2005 04:54 PM

Another Monkey King

http://home.swbell.net/mmontoro/hanuman575w

Rick 8th March 2005 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Hanuman too but his hands are a little full at the moment .
I'm sure when he is through he'll be glad to be a keris holder . :D

Naga Basuki 8th March 2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
I have a Hanuman too but his hands are a little full at the moment . I'm sure when he is through he'll be glad to be a keris holder . :D

Now tell him not to hurt the Naga....

BSMStar 8th March 2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga Basuki
Here is my favorite keris holder. Apologies for the direct flash pictures. These are just pix for insurance coverage. The detail shows better if i was using side lighting.

Awesome holder!!!! I want one. :D :D :D

And if I get one, you are all invited to my funeral after my wife kills me. ;)

Mick 8th March 2005 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of a very good quality Javanese keris holder. I didn't have a picture at hand or I would have put it on earlier.

The Javanese prefer that their holder be painted. I particularly like the carved teak pieces that are being produced now for western tastes, but they are not held in esteem by the local population. Pieces that were painted but have been cleaned down to bare wood are downgraded.

nechesh 9th March 2005 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of my bad boy, "Harry the Hanuman". :rolleyes:
Like Lew's it's recent and nice enough and it does the job, but one needs only to check out Naga Basuki's to see the vast difference between these and the real deal (nice one Bill!). Mick makes a good point about the bases, but i feel pretty secure with even this rather heavy Bali keris in my hanuman. Of course, i don't let the cats play near it. :eek:
BTW, just for the academic side of things, as far as i know the Javanese wall boards (Another nice one Mick!) are called blawongan and the standing racks like BSMStar's are called ploncon.

Lew 23rd March 2005 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Here is my new keris holder but now I need to find a keris that fits.

BSMStar 24th March 2005 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Hi Guys

Here is my new keris holder but now I need to find a keris that fits.

Hey Louie,

Do you like it? It looks good!

Lew 24th March 2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSMStar
Hey Louie,

Do you like it? It looks good!

Hi BSMStar

I like it just fine. The carving is pretty well done.

Lew