Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Caledonia club (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20237)

Tim Simmons 19th July 2015 08:08 PM

New Caledonia club

3 Attachment(s)
This is a new item to my collection. I left a bid fully expecting not to win, especially so low. I was unsure at first but after some research I felt the club fitted the canon of New Caledonia club forms. It was listed as 20th century which it may well be, certainly early 20th century. I am sure that with an oil dressing it will look very good, perhaps even look late 19th century. I am perfectly happy with 20th century. No reason why it could not date from the 1917 rebellion. There is much documentation about the lack of firearms and reliance on club weapons during the first Kanak rebellion so it may well have been the same in 1917 some 40 years on. The secret stirrings of the rebellion was aided by the exchange of magic bundles and knots, note the interesting additions to the club. Not proof of anything but still rather interesting. Finding pictures of related forms swung the balance. Pen illustration from {Melanesia A Short Ethnography, B A L Cranstone, The British Museum 1961} colour photo {Arts Of The South Seas, The Collections of the Musee Barbier-Mueller, Prestel 1999} the item is 69.5cm in lenght.

LJ 19th July 2015 09:00 PM

I would also say New Caledonia, and old. A lovely example.

It's worth looking at the British Museum Collections catalogue online, where there are dozens of New caledonia clubs: some with similar wrapping on the shaft.

Sajen 19th July 2015 09:18 PM

Agree, nice old example, congrats! :)

colin henshaw 20th July 2015 11:29 AM

Looks a good old club, Tim. Well done. I like the fibre wrappings.

VANDOO 20th July 2015 07:22 PM

CONGRADULATIONS! IT APPEARS TO BE TYPE A. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS FORM. FROM THE PICTURE THE DESIGN LOOKS LIKE THE REAL HEAD KNOCKER. :D A GOOD CLOSE UP OF THE CLUB HEAD WILL TELL THE TALE.

fireiceviper 21st July 2015 10:59 PM

Does it have the raised part at the bottom of the club? under the wrapping?
Some better pictures would help... but if its real, then you did very very good :)

Tim Simmons 22nd July 2015 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It looks to me that feature is not on this piece which is one of the most common elements of New Caledonia clubs. However there are forms that do not have that feature. I am waiting for the clubs arrival then more examination can be made and pictures can be taken. It is not difficult to find pictures of NC clubs without the feature.

Tim Simmons 5th August 2015 12:12 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Took some time to get here. It certainly is big enough to be a club but I wonder if it is more of a baton. Anyway here are some close ups and it with the rest of the family.

Sajen 5th August 2015 12:20 PM

Nice addition to the family, nice group picture! :)

colin henshaw 5th August 2015 02:55 PM

I'll second Sajen's comment - a good group of clubs !