Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Could you give me you thoughts on this Ottoman blade (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28804)

ASPaulding 27th April 2023 03:08 AM

Could you give me you thoughts on this Ottoman blade

4 Attachment(s)
I purchased the Ottoman sword recently and have a few questions for the experts. The mounts are silver which I have not yet polished. I can't determine if it is from early 19th or late 19th. Also the mounts have are very loose. Could I get advice on how to secure them again. Thank you for your time.

Rick 27th April 2023 03:59 AM

I'd love to see more pictures, Adam. :)
You're referring to the scabbard, or are parts of the sword loose also? If it's just the scabbard mounts that are loose, I've got a feeling that a re-covering of newer leather may be called for.

Nice looking sword btw.

ASPaulding 27th April 2023 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 281523)
I'd love to see more pictures, Adam. :)
You're referring to the scabbard, or are parts of the sword loose also? If it's just the scabbard mounts that are loose, I've got a feeling that a re-covering of newer leather may be called for.

Nice looking sword btw.

Thank you, Rick it nice to talk to you again. I am referring to the mounts on the scabbard. I agree the leather definitely needs to be replaced.

ASPaulding 27th April 2023 04:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry I forgot to load more photos.

Multumesc 6th May 2023 04:55 PM

Could you give me you thoughts on this Ottoman blade

You are NOT replacing the original skin layer!... please anoint it with castor oil. You can buy it in the pharmacy. Success.

Interested Party 6th May 2023 05:03 PM

You could shim with pieces of paper. I like periodicals with the date and if possible, location of where I am making the modification. I love finding repairs that are traceable. It is like and ester egg for the future.

kino 6th May 2023 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested Party (Post 281726)
You could shim with pieces of paper. I like periodicals with the date and if possible, location of where I am making the modification. I love finding repairs that are traceable. It is like and ester egg for the future.

Interesting, I like that.

Interested Party 6th May 2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino (Post 281727)
Interesting, I like that.

I got the idea while tearing down houses for antique parts in the early 90s and have used it ever since.

Teisani 7th May 2023 05:56 AM

The blade looks like it's from a Prussian M1811 Blücher sabre.

serdar 16th May 2023 09:29 PM

Late 19. century ottoman military sword with french blade.