Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   little intro (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10965)

Moshah 23rd October 2009 03:13 AM

little intro

Hi all,

Quite interesting discussion you all have had here!

BTW I am new to the forum and let me share one of my kerises here.

A rather humble Sepokal of Bugis Sumbawa, or at least what I think it was.

http://images.almoshah.multiply.com/...nmid=292102097

Moshah 23rd October 2009 03:36 AM

Gee...i think i need help in attaching pix here!

How could I do that, instead of giving links like this?

Rick 23rd October 2009 03:37 AM

Greetings and welcome Moshah . :)
A lovely keris . :)

Might I ask of you ,
Could you please possibly upload the pictures to the forum database for future continuity in this post ? :)

FEATURES:

DIRECT IMAGE UPLOADING from your computer to the server is now available in the form of ‘attachments’. The pictures will not show when you are composing your posts, but may be checked in the preview mode, where they show at the bottom of the post. You may include up to 10 images per post. You are encouraged to use this mechanism in order to maximize the archival integrity of the forum.

Images which may be uploaded to the server include .jpeg (or .jpg), .png, .gif and .bmp. The width of the image must be 640 pixels or less in width and 1280 pixels or less in height or the image will be rejected. A maximum file size constraint of 200 kb is also in effect. Please refer to this thread for fellow member's suggestions about free programs allowing you to resize and compress pictures. The resized images will be returned in due course by e-mail for you to use in your posting.

The old image tags as used to link to images in the UBB software are still supported for images you maintain on your own software.

David 23rd October 2009 03:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Moshah, welcome to the forum. That's a nice Bugis keris. It's always better to upload your photos by adding them as attachments directly to our data base. That way they always remain with the thread for future reference and discussion and they aren't downloaded onto everyones computer everytime we click on your link. :)

Moshah 23rd October 2009 03:50 AM

Oh, means that i have to attach the pix by clicking the "manage attachment" button at the additional options there, rite?

Well, thanks david for displaying the pix for me.

Rick 23rd October 2009 03:52 AM

Right !
Then upload within the parameters from your image folder .

Piece of cake !! :D :D

Moshah 23rd October 2009 04:12 AM

Just get it figured, thanks Rick.

This post was like a tutorial for me, then... :)

kulbuntet 23rd October 2009 12:08 PM

Moshah,

Welcome to the forum. Btw nice keris, i like it very much!

Regards Michel

Sajen 23rd October 2009 12:59 PM

Welcome to the forum, nice keris. Can you post a closeup from the handle?

sajen

Moshah 23rd October 2009 04:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, that a daunty task for a newcomer, isn't it? :shrug: :shrug:

Anyway, here are the closed up shots:

If it fails to appear again, then forgive me its my tutorial session ...

Sajen 23rd October 2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshah
Well, that a daunty task for a newcomer, isn't it? :shrug: :shrug:

Anyway, here are the closed up shots:

If it fails to appear again, then forgive me its my tutorial session ...

:D Only by doing you have real learning, isn't it? BTW, really good pictures!
To the hilt, I've thought to see a figural hilt but now it's clear, it's a kerdas hilt.

sajen

Moshah 23rd October 2009 06:21 PM

Indeed it is, Sajen. Now I know how to do it.

Yeah, I believe because of the inclination of the hilt in the first bunch of pix that David posted for me, it doesn't looks like much of a kerdas hilt.

The bigger pix seems to hamper your expectation. However, knowing the size of your hilt collection, it is understandable why.. :D

Sorry, my composition a little bit awkward. And it's a kerdas anyway...

Moshah 25th October 2009 12:51 AM

I just wonder whether the hilt and warangka are made originally for this blade.

Is there any way to identify this?

Sajen 29th October 2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshah
I just wonder whether the hilt and warangka are made originally for this blade.

Is there any way to identify this?

This is very difficult, special by the hilt. When a warangka is made for a blade it's your feeling how the blade fit's inside and the patination inside the sheat is also a sign if a sarung is original to a blade.

Moshah 30th October 2009 04:52 PM

Wow Sajen, if that's the case I guess I will never know it for sure!

Anyway, it is not that important, isn't it? I heard the blade can change sheath and hilt whenever the owner's have the dough...

Sajen 30th October 2009 05:48 PM

Indeed, you never will know it for sure, it is a guess from your feeling. But you can see if a sheat is worked for a keris or not. You are right, sometimes a keris have had more than one dress, one for every day use and one for special use, maybe wedding. And sometimes a expensive hilt was sold because the owner need money and the keris get a more simple hilt. I think that this is also the reason why there so much hilts without a blade.:) (good for collecting)

Detlef

Moshah 30th October 2009 06:33 PM

Very well put, detlef!

it also make this hobby rather complicated, right? ;)

Actually it is best that we can stick to original combo (of blade and its dress) but as you said, that would be inevitably impossible today...