Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Three tulwars for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20773)

Ken Maddock 29th November 2015 12:25 PM

Three tulwars for comment

4 Attachment(s)
Hi
I just picked up three tulwars, or I think that is what they are, as two are a little different from what I commonly see
Picture one is over view of the three
Remainder of pictures is of one of tulwars
Pictures are poor enough as it is not a nice day here in Ireland
Blade is 72 cm long, not too curved 2 fullers on blade,some decoration on blade but pictures not showing this well, hand guard is a lot more substantial than what I have seen before, in very much untouched condition
Got from a dublin house clearance
Any information much appreciated on name of this particular type of tulwar and any idea of age or origin
Regards
Ken

Ken Maddock 29th November 2015 12:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Second tulwar
Lot beefier blade and a lot heavier more substantial overall
Blade a lot more curved with 2 fullers again
Some markings on blade and split in knuckle guard
Overall feels like a very much fighting blade

Ken Maddock 29th November 2015 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last tulwar
Most basic of the three
Silver disc on both side of grip
Knuckle guard broken off
I also have attached image of markings in blade of first tulwar
Any information gratefully received
Regards
Ken
More bad images available if required
:)

harrywagner 29th November 2015 08:55 PM

Tulwar or Khanda

Are the two with the pommel "tails" khanda's?

ariel 29th November 2015 09:18 PM

I like all of them. The first one has a hilt that is a transitional stage between the "Basket hilt" and the " moghul" tulwar one, I have 2 similar ones. The other two are tulwars ( the handle of the second one is rarely encountered), and , I agree, the memories of Khanda are written by their "rat tails" :-)

All of them seem to be quite old, I would polish and etch the blades. My guess that the chances of wootz are above 50%

Ken Maddock 29th November 2015 09:55 PM

Thanks for the information
I did search on forum before I posted and just found so many tulwars I was over awed with the range of variations
Now I have something to go on I will search forum with a bit more purpose

I will give a oooo wire wool light clean over the Christmas break and see what is revealed but I am not into over cleaning so maybe the wootz might not be visible there is active rust which will have to go though

I from a short search on this forum I am going to guess at late 18th century would this be a reasonable estimate
Thanks for your help
Ken