Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Leather bandolier for matchlock gun (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26776)

eftihis 7th March 2021 02:41 PM

Leather bandolier for matchlock gun

12 Attachment(s)
This was advertised as a 17th c european matchlock bandolier. I put it on discussion on teh european forum, but it was suggested that there is a strong possibility to be a non-european item, from a culture that was using matchlocks untill recently. Anyone recognise the style?

Ren Ren 7th March 2021 03:02 PM

What a fascinating topic! I'll watch it with pleasure.
I will assume with caution that this item was made in the south of the Arabian Peninsula.

kahnjar1 8th March 2021 05:35 AM

Hi Eftihis,
Not a firm ID but wool stoppers were used in bandoliers from Afghanistan. One of your pics appears to show a wool stopper.
Hopefully Rickystl will come in on this as I know he has several bandoliers of different origins.
Stu

eftihis 8th March 2021 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A similar set, was sold some years ago from Italy with the following description: A Musketeer's bandoleer dating: 17th Century provenance: Europe Leather belt with brass buckle; provided with a leather purse and eleven wooden flasks for powder doses, held together with leather straps. Small defects and damages. dimensions: length circa 97 cm.

Kubur 8th March 2021 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stu is 100% right
and it's not the first time that I see an Afghan item listed as medieval or European renaissance.
Please, look at mine.
:shrug:

mahratt 8th March 2021 05:30 PM

I agree with the participants who wrote that this belt is from Afghanistan.

eftihis 8th March 2021 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Kubur, regarding yours, i have to contribute the following! However, the style of the containers on teh belt we discuss is quite different!

kahnjar1 8th March 2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eftihis
Hi Kubur, regarding yours, i have to contribute the following! However, the style of the containers on teh belt we discuss is quite different!

I agree that the style of the holders in Kubur's belt are different, however don't disregard that Afghanistan was (and still is) a Tribal land and that the bandoliers were hand made most likely by their original owners, so difference would be expected.
Stu

rickystl 8th March 2021 08:41 PM

Hello ALL

I think these belts are really interesting. Containers to carry pre-measured powder charges. With the lead balls and patches kept in a separate pouch.

To my view, the OP is definitely NOT European. Not really sure of it's origin.
And Post #4 looks very similar in design. Both being designed to carry the chargers in a downward position with the wool plugs positioned in the tips.

Post #5 and 7 shows chargers designed to be carried with their pour spouts in the upward position. Likely also with a similar wool type plugs.

Kuber's belt is definitely Afghan, with it's traditional open metal work on the pouches.

These could be used for either matchlocks, flintlocks, or percussion guns since they are only required to carry powder.

The OP's belt is not OP's belt is not Omani. They are designed different. Could still also be Afghan. Don't know. I've seen that particular tiny punch mark design on leather from this Region before. But can't recall. I don't have anything similar.

Congrats on a nice find. I'll see if I can locate where that punch marks are in my collection.

Rick

kino 13th March 2021 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here’s one similar to post #7. The plugs look to be rolled cotton fabric, some have the leather lanyards still attached.

rickystl 14th March 2021 06:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is another one. Based on other similar styles, some believe this to be of Turkish origin. I honestly don't know. But it's function is the same as others above. It must have taken a long time to make these by hand.

Rick

Saracen 14th March 2021 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickystl
Here is another one. Based on other similar styles, some believe this to be of Turkish origin. I honestly don't know. But it's function is the same as others above. It must have taken a long time to make these by hand.

Rick

Design reminiscent of the styling of the scabbard Dharia dagger

Kubur 14th March 2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saracen
Design reminiscent of the styling of the scabbard Dharia dagger

NO, it has nothing to do with the bandolier posted.
Tapestry nails were used from Morocco to India.
I suggest that you read books and visit some museums, instead of collecting pictures on Google.

Saracen 14th March 2021 11:51 PM

You are late with advice, mahratt was the first, and literally.
But you're right: there are never many books.
There many of confidence that you have already read everything.