Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sanskrit on keris blade? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5850)

Pusaka 21st January 2008 10:22 AM

Sanskrit on keris blade?

Whats your thoughts on the information given on this (see link) website. The items shown are all property of the palace (?) and the keris are pusaka. Two of the keris look new to me but are presented as being ancient.
The keris which interests me most though is the "keris indera pawa Janggi) which has Sanskrit writing on the blade. Has anyone here ever heard of this keris before?

http://www.geocities.com/aizaris/album3.html

Alam Shah 21st January 2008 01:29 PM

I've my doubts about this web a long time ago... but let's discuss. :D
It is not the property of the palace. It's is claimed(?) to be property of someone linked to the royal family.

The items are said to be very old, but... alas, I doubt otherwise...
Let start with the one mentioned...

Quote:

Keris Indera Pawa Janggi
One of the oldest Keris, believed to be 5,000 years old and category in 'Keris Picit'. It has Sanskrit words engraved on it.

First of all, this piece does not show features of a keris picit, as far as I can see, (from the poor quality picture), 5,000 years old(?)... amazing. :rolleyes:
The rest, I leave others to comment.

David 21st January 2008 02:18 PM

Well, i'm not exactly sure what to say... :D
But the website does sort of blow all credibility with me with it's claims that these keris could be any where near 3000-5000 years old. :rolleyes:
The first two look like modern Madurese "tourist" keris and the last one the pictures aren't too good on, but Sanskrit seems an unlikely language to be found on a keris. :shrug: :)

Pusaka 21st January 2008 07:14 PM

Thats what I thought, the first two keris look like modern tourist keris, as for the keris with markings I contacted the owner of the site for a better quality photo but the email address is not operational. I would have liked to see photos of that blade to see if the writing is newly engraved into the blade.

David 21st January 2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pusaka
Thats what I thought, the first two keris look like modern tourist keris, as for the keris with markings I contacted the owner of the site for a better quality photo but the email address is not operational. I would have liked to see photos of that blade to see if the writing is newly engraved into the blade.

...or, given the quality of the other information on this site, even sanskrit?
:shrug:

PenangsangII 22nd January 2008 03:26 AM

Maybe modern tourist piece with the "isi" of 5000 yrs old :D

Alam Shah 22nd January 2008 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Maybe modern tourist piece with the "isi" of 5000 yrs old :D

Possible... but I guess our focus is on the age of the artifact. ;)

If it is, then it would be considered 'isi susulan', probably not done by an empu(?). It's like putting a Ferrari engine in a Ford Pinto shell. :D

PenangsangII 24th January 2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Possible... but I guess our focus is on the age of the artifact. ;)

If it is, then it would be considered 'isi susulan', probably not done by an empu(?). It's like putting a Ferrari engine in a Ford Pinto shell. :D

Very thoughtful........can the shell fit the Ferrari engine? What about the ford's body, can it take such power?

Montino Bourbon 24th January 2008 06:09 AM

The 'nafiri'

1 Attachment(s)
pictured seems to be a tibetan horn. Where did they get that?

Sorry- the only pic that I can find is very small.