Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Identification of this oar please. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20809)

TomHurstAntiques 9th December 2015 05:06 PM

Identification of this oar/staff please.

2 Attachment(s)
I'm new here. I was wondering if any one could identify this I have just bought. Apparently it is a Gold Coast Oar but I can't find any similar anywhere.
Its 56.5inch high and 11.9 inch wide.

kahnjar1 9th December 2015 06:29 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Any dimensions please, and could you post a full length pic?
Thanks

TomHurstAntiques 9th December 2015 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply.
Its 56.5inch high and 11.9inch wide.

Robert 10th December 2015 02:55 AM

TomHurstAntiques, Links are not allowed so please download your photos directly your posting as per forum rules.

Best,
Robert

TomHurstAntiques 10th December 2015 03:33 PM

okay sorry

LJ 11th December 2015 01:00 PM

I've never seen anything like it, but I've checked the online database of the Pitt Rivers Museum and they list a paddle from Ghana with a three-pronged blade. The British Museum appear not to have one, according to their online database.

TomHurstAntiques 12th December 2015 02:02 PM

Thank you very much for the help. I think it probably is Ghana. Thanks.

VANDOO 12th December 2015 07:59 PM

THERE IS SOMETHING VERY MUCH LIKE IT BUT WITHOUT THE PAINT ON EBAY CURRENTLY. IT IS 141 CM. LONG AND IDENTIFIED AS A POLYNESIAN PADDLE CLUB <OCEANIC/ AUSTRAL-ASIAN. MY BEST GUESS WOULD BE THIS IS NOT FOR ACTUAL USE AS A PADDLE BUT USED FOR CEREMONIAL DANCES AND LIKELY IS PART OF A TRIBAL STORY OR LEGEND. IT WOULD NO DOUBT REPRESENT SOME ANCESTOR OR GOD AND THE SHAPE AND COLORS USED HAVE CEREMONIAL MEANING. SUCH ITEMS ARE OFTEN REFERRED TO AS DANCE PADDLES.

VANDOO 14th December 2015 07:40 PM

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PIN THIS DOWN BUT MY BEST GUESS WOULD BE IN THE ISLANDS NORTH OF NEW GUINEA PERHAPS IN THE BOUGANVILLE GROUP. I WILL TRY AND POST PICTURES OF THE OTHER EXAMPLE WHEN THE AUCTION ENDS.

David 14th December 2015 10:13 PM

So, i don't know anything about these, but are they intended to be any kind of weapon? If not then perhaps this post belongs in the Ethnographic Miscellania forum. :shrug:

Robert 14th December 2015 10:22 PM

Quote:

So, i don't know anything about these, but are they intended to be any kind of weapon? If not then perhaps this post belongs in the Ethnographic Miscellania forum.
A very good point David. I will now move this to the proper forum.

Best,
Robert

VANDOO 14th December 2015 10:40 PM

THIS SORT OF ITEM OFTEN EVOLVED FROM A WEAPON OR FROM A STORY WHERE SOMETHING WAS USED AS A WEAPON. THE STORY OF THE SAMURAI MUSASHI USING A BOAT OAR TO FASHION HIS WEAPON FOR ONE OF HIS MOST FAMOUS DUELS COMES TO MIND. THERE ARE CEREMONIAL PADDLES, SPEARS, CLUBS, AXES, BEARING SWORDS, ECT.
THOUGH ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE NO LONGER INTENDED FOR USE AS A WEAPON OF WAR THEY DO REPRESENT THEM IN A WAY. ETHNOGRAPHIC TOOLS OR WEAPONS OFTEN CROSS OVER AND BECOME PURELY CEREMONIAL AND ETHNOGRAPHIC ART .

VANDOO 19th December 2015 09:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
AS PROMISED PICTURES OF SIMULAR PADDLE/ CLUB NO LONGER FOR SALE. 141 CM LONG.

TomHurstAntiques 22nd December 2015 10:11 PM

Thank you for all your knowledge. It has been a fantastic help.