Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just Ended On Ebay (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12446)

Robert 30th August 2010 02:23 AM

Just Ended On Ebay

This just ended and I thought I'd post it to see what everybody here thinks about it. It doesn't look American to me at all. :D I put a bid in on esnipe early in the auction but wasn't even close to the closing price. :eek: Did someone here win this beauty? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...torefresh=true

Robert

Rick 30th August 2010 03:20 AM

Conundrum

I wonder Who thought it was What ? :D

Battara 30th August 2010 05:33 AM

Yeah, it does look a little Luzon and Katipunaro or first Filipino republic doesn't it?

Note the 3 stars in a row on each section. Probably belonged to a high ranking officer.

Wish I'd seen that one.

Robert 30th August 2010 06:05 AM

7 Attachment(s)
"Yeah, it does look a little Luzon and Katipunaro or first Filipino republic doesn't it?

Note the 3 stars in a row on each section. Probably belonged to a high ranking officer."

My thoughts exactly Jose. I even put a couple of items in hock to my brother to hopefully be able to score this for my collection. But as it went for a few hundred more than I thought it would someone else ended up with it. :( I just hope they know what it is and didn't go by the auction description. Here are a few of the auction pictures for later reference in case it was not someone from the forum that won it.

Robert

Atlantia 31st August 2010 09:36 PM

Its a beauty, but hell thats a lot of money!

Rick 31st August 2010 10:44 PM

Exactly why I posed my question . ;)

Atlantia 31st August 2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Exactly why I posed my question . ;)

LOL, :o
Thing is, it brings to mind a few things. Obviously some have been covered, but also: 17th/18thC, Italian, naval Dirk...... well to me anyway.
In fact it even looks quite like the repro naval dirk from Cold Steel.
Hmmm, I'm not really helping am I?
:confused:

Rick 31st August 2010 11:33 PM

There seemed to be 3 major bidders . :shrug:

Dimasalang 1st September 2010 05:26 AM

Wow! Nice. hehe :D

Robert 1st September 2010 05:38 AM

You wouldn't by chance be the one who won this, would you???

Dimasalang 1st September 2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman

You wouldn't by chance be the one who won this, would you???

No, I wish though. I would say from the Philippines also. But too much for me to spend on a item with no definite history or background. :shrug: Would be great if it had some 'K's or the sun face and rays also.

Robert 1st September 2010 06:40 AM

I totally agree, but would have still liked to have added it to my collection. :D

Atlantia 1st September 2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
I totally agree, but would have still liked to have added it to my collection. :D

Robert,
These are your study, so do you think this is just a particularly attractive example bringing a high premium, or do you think there is something else going on?

Best
Gene

Robert 1st September 2010 04:37 PM

Hello Gene,
Either a couple of collectors fighting over a very nice example of a rare form of dagger a "tres cantos" or a couple of people got caught in the sellers hype. :confused: Without the buyers opinion and comments it would be impossible for me to say :shrug: Like Dimasalang, I think that without any definite history or background it would be hard to justify that much money for this item.

Robert

Battara 1st September 2010 09:17 PM

I must admit like Dimasalang, I go for sun faces, rays, 3 stars, etc., anything that are direct katipunan/first republic symbols (and of course lots and lots of silver :D ).

migueldiaz 2nd September 2010 03:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I feel too that it's a Phil. piece, for reasons already mentioned. As to the lack of Katipunan markings, I'm guessing that perhaps it's because it was made before or after those tumultuous years (i.e., 1896-1898 Phil. Revolution, and 1899-1902 Phil.-American War).

This beautiful piece reminds of the one that got away (sample pics are below, for convenience) ... sorry to remind you, Dimasalang! ;)

On the 'x' over the diamond motif on the ferrule, am not too sure but I think I've seen that in some old Phil. potteries. I've leafed through some of my books but can't find where I saw that design. But I'm no expert on potteries. Maybe Nacho can comment if he sees this thread ...

Battara 3rd September 2010 02:09 AM

Oh yes, I've drooled......er.........seen this one before.

You have a good point (like the one on top of my head :D ) in that the first one may have been made prior to the official founding of the first republic, making it possibly high ranking Katipunan if so.

M ELEY 3rd September 2010 04:59 AM

As a naval collector, I never thought it was a dirk, but I did wonder if it might have been Spanish colonial with Phil. influences. That might explain the high bidding, as Spanish bowies seem to fetch as much as U.S. ones do. I am in total agreement that it is in all liklihood a Phil. piece, very nicely made, but ohhh the price! :cool:

Dimasalang 3rd September 2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migueldiaz
I feel too that it's a Phil. piece, for reasons already mentioned. As to the lack of Katipunan markings, I'm guessing that perhaps it's because it was made before or after those tumultuous years (i.e., 1896-1898 Phil. Revolution, and 1899-1902 Phil.-American War).

This beautiful piece reminds of the one that got away (sample pics are below, for convenience) ... sorry to remind you, Dimasalang! ;)

:(