Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Scots Greys sword discovery (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12357)

Ian Knight 10th August 2010 11:25 AM

Scots Greys sword discovery

6 Attachment(s)
I recently blind bid on a rather rusty British P1796 heavy cavalry sword at auction in the U.K. The auctioneer sent me the photos which I had requested. One of the photos of the hilt grabbed my attention. I thought that I could just make out '2d Ds' (Scots Greys) inscribed on the hilt. I took a punt and left a commission bid not thinking for a moment that I would win the sword, but win it I did.
The sword was in a pretty rusty condition when I eventually saw it 'in the flesh' but the markings were exactly as I had hoped for, and what was more the scabbard was marked in exactly the same manner. Sword and scabbard were a matching pair.
I went to work cleaning the sword and scabbard and ended up with the result that you see below.

Ian

Atlantia 10th August 2010 01:25 PM

Thats a great sword!
Ticks all the boxes, and cleaned up a treat!
I'd be well chuffed with it. Did a similar clean up on a German sabre a little while back, always a pleasure when it turns out so well, just gotta wait a few months for that 'just cleaned' look to fade off a little.
Congrats on a beaut!

Ian Knight 10th August 2010 01:35 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Thanks Gene,
I am very pleased at the way that it turned out. I had already bought a hatchet bladed Scots Greys sword a couple of weeks before so I knew what marks to look out for.
I aquired another fine sword last week. It is a French 1812 dated AN XI. It too was in rusty condition and the brass guard was almost black in colour. Luckily the previous owner had smeared the blade in grease. When I cleaned the sabre up the blade came up as new with most of its original polish.

Ian

Atlantia 10th August 2010 02:53 PM

Thats a lovely weapon. You've certainly been very fortunate recently!
It never fails to amaze me just how efficient these steel scabbards are at protecting blades. Given a good smear of grease they can protect a neglected blade virtually until the rust eats through from the outside.

Jim McDougall 10th August 2010 08:01 PM

Absolutely fantastic find Ian!!! "Scotland Forever"!!!!
On the scabbards, one of the biggest problems was the iron scabbards, as these things dulled the swords incredibly, from a much more contemporary situation. In reading "Nolan of Balaklava" I believe it was, it speaks of the British noting the fearsome use of sabres by the warriors in India, and tried to discover what made these so gruesomely effective. They were stunned when they found the blades were old M1796 cavalry sabre blades.
The Indians kept these honed razor sharp,well oiled and in wood lined scabbards. In Europe, many of the cavalry sabres were also timber lined, as were some of the British M1788s.
The grease is they key:)

Ian, it seems another of these (unless it was this one) was discussed recently and I cannot recall about the numbers. Obviously the 2D was 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys), but there was some key data about the 14 and Bn number. What was that?

All the best,
Jim

Norman McCormick 10th August 2010 08:59 PM

Hi Ian,
Nice catch!!! Not an easy sword to find never mind one that is attributable. I see that it has the modified tip, do you think that that modification along with the regimental attribution enables you to speculate a bit more on its history? The French sabre was a real smashing find as well, I wonder how many more outbuildings, attics etc. hide similar wee treasures, one can only wonder!!! :eek: Good Hunting.
My Regards,
Norman.