Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) Swords: (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28060)

OakenStaff 19th July 2022 08:48 PM

The Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) Swords:

Salam, everybody.
I had a few questions about the swords the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is said to have used.
-What is the style of each blade? Are they all considered 'saif'?
-Is there any book or paper that you would recommend that covers these swords in particular, or provides an overview of 7th century Arabian arms and armor?
-About Al-Mikdam- can someone enlighten me on its history?

Thank you. I hope I did everything alright. I do hope I am not breaking any rule.

ariel 20th July 2022 06:06 AM

Yes, there are .
Go to bookfinder.com and find
Unsal Ucel “ Islamic swords and swordsmiths”, a catalog of collections from Topkapi and Askeri Muze.
If you want better pics of some of those swords, same place:
Hilmi Aydin “ The arms of the sultans”

You will find there swords from the Sacred Trusts, brought by the Ottomans from Egypt in 1517 after their defeat of the Mamluks.
Apparently, Aydin published a big and heavy (9 lbs!) book “ The Sacred Trust”, but I do not have it. Also on bookfinder.com

The problem is with a very heavy overlay of legends and fantasy of the descriptions, dating and attribution/provenance of all the swords belonging ( allegedly) to Muhammed and his companions, very poor and often destructive restorations and refurbishings and subsequent theft of valuable details already in the 20th century.

But that is all what we have…

kronckew 20th July 2022 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We do know that Arabian swords of the period were NOT curved. That style came much later. The Prophet's sword was also probably not forked at the point like legend ascribes.

They are all 'saif' - that just means 'sword'. (of any style)

This is the most famous of his swords, definitely NOT forked.

OakenStaff 20th July 2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 273526)
We do know that Arabian swords of the period were NOT curved. That style came much later. The Prophet's sword was also probably not forked at the point like legend ascribes.

They are all 'saif' - that just means 'sword'. (of any style)

This is the most famous of his swords, definitely NOT forked.

Thank you, Kronckew! Do you know where the myth of the forked Dhul-Fiqar originates from, then?

Rick 20th July 2022 10:58 PM

Look here:

https://theislamicinformation.com/bl...i-ra-zulfiqar/

:) :)

Sorry about all the pop-ups. :o

kronckew 20th July 2022 10:59 PM

Wiki does a good job explaining - the name implies a double 'something', some interpret it as double points, I agree with wiki it probably just means double edged, like the photo above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulfiqar.

OakenStaff 21st July 2022 03:35 PM

Thank you both very much!
But about Al-Mikdam, if it is a later blade, what culture would you ascribe it to?

ariel 22nd July 2022 02:35 PM

I am not sure any of the Forumites here has enough knowledge or interest to delve into a very complex history of one of the Muhammed's swords. I would love to help, but Ucel's book doesn't even give personal names of the swords and I have no idea which one is Al-Mikdam. Sorry.

But I have a solution: get the books with photographs and texts and start an exciting adventure of your own research project. I guess that Aydin's 9lb ( 4 kg) volume has enough information and references to start moving.

As they say, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Edster 22nd July 2022 04:48 PM

I've always liked "teach a man to fish and he can feed you for a lifetime ":) :-)

OakenStaff 22nd July 2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel (Post 273573)
I am not sure any of the Forumites here has enough knowledge or interest to delve into a very complex history of one of the Muhammed's swords. I would love to help, but Ucel's book doesn't even give personal names of the swords and I have no idea which one is Al-Mikdam. Sorry.

But I have a solution: get the books with photographs and texts and start an exciting adventure of your own research project. I guess that Aydin's 9lb ( 4 kg) volume has enough information and references to start moving.

As they say, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Alright, thank you very much. I am indebted to you. I suppose I will make this my research project, then.
:)
Thank you, again.
Have a lovely day.

ariel 23rd July 2022 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edster (Post 273577)
I've always liked "teach a man to fish and he can feed you for a lifetime ":)

Globalization in full swing :-)

kronckew 23rd July 2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edster (Post 273577)
I've always liked "teach a man to fish and he can feed you for a lifetime ":) :-)

Only if you have a handy lake/ocean...

Edster 18th August 2022 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an article on the Dhu'l Faquar by Ahmed Helal Ahmed Hussein. It's apparently well researched. Hope this helps.

Best,
Ed

kronckew 19th August 2022 07:10 AM

Pictures?