Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Javanese or Bugis kris? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17049)

mykeris 4th April 2013 05:54 AM

Javanese or Bugis kris?

2 Attachment(s)
I found this blade in a Javanese sheath recently. Got it from a Javanese friend living in Java. No hit and mendak. Could it be Javanese Kris?
Thanks in advance for your kind help...mykeris :)

mykeris 4th April 2013 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
additional pic.

Jean 4th April 2013 09:39 AM

Not Buginese for sure, rather Balinese touch but probably Javanese kamardikan with pamor keleng? (well-made, looks like the work from empu Sukamdi). Other opinions are welcome.
Regards

Gustav 4th April 2013 09:54 AM

A new made Malela blade. Actually the question is, where it was made, Malaysia or Madura. The answer could be the dress.

mykeris 4th April 2013 10:02 AM

thanks Jean, agreed with you, a very well tailored 'keleng' kris. almost similar to malayan malela krises but a little bit different. :)

Gustav 4th April 2013 10:36 AM

Of course you know all the answers about it. Why ask then?

mykeris 4th April 2013 11:56 AM

Gustav: Its ot Malay for sure. Bali or Javanese? would you know?tq in advance. :) :)

ferrylaki 5th April 2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav
Of course you know all the answers about it. Why ask then?

its new and it looks nice for sure.
its neither java or bali. its the original style of the maker ofcourse.mix style.

mykeris 5th April 2013 06:59 PM

thanks ferrylaki for your opinion. :)

A. G. Maisey 6th April 2013 03:10 AM

Madura or East Jawa.

Solo is an outside possibility, but unlikely.

Jean 6th April 2013 09:19 AM

Hum, interesting blade, we have got a full array of opinions concerning its area of origin! :D At least do we agree that it was recenty made?
Regards

Gustav 6th April 2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Hum, interesting blade, we have got a full array of opinions concerning its area of origin! :D At least do we agree that it was recenty made?
Regards

Actually my opinion was Madura, Ferrylaki's opinion was neither Java or Bali, Alans opinion was Madura or East Java. So the array isn't that big at all.

Jean 7th April 2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav
Actually my opinion was Madura, Ferrylaki's opinion was neither Java or Bali, Alans opinion was Madura or East Java. So the array isn't that big at all.

Sorry Gustav, but your opinion in post #4 was Malaysia or Madura, and Mykeris's opinion was Java or Bali.
Regards

Gustav 7th April 2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Sorry Gustav, but your opinion in post #4 was Malaysia or Madura, and Mykeris's opinion was Java or Bali.
Regards

Jean, the second and third sentence in my answer is "Actually the question is, where it was made, Malaysia or Madura.The answer could be the dress." The point is the third sentence.

I think, you hardly would see kerisses coming out of Malaysia in a javanese dress, especially with characteristics of a Malela blade.

Gustav 9th April 2013 11:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykeris
Gustav: Its ot Malay for sure. Bali or Javanese? would you know?tq in advance. :) :)

I suppose, it meens "Its not Malay for sure."

I would say, its more Malay then this one:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3005

(Sorry for borrowing your pics for comparison).

PenangsangII 13th April 2013 01:31 PM

both are well made Maduran or East Javan copies of what could be authentic Malay malela keris. Very widespread phenomenon to tap the Malaysian and Singaporean market