Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Period Photos of People with Ethnographic Arms (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15325)

estcrh 15th August 2017 04:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Georgian warriors, the illustration is from "Savage Svânetia "volume 2, by Clive Phillips-Wolley, 1883.

kronckew 15th August 2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estcrh
Georgian warriors, the illustration is from "Savage Svânetia "volume 2, by Clive Phillips-Wolley, 1883.

mr lesghia looks a bit under armed, needs a few more assorted weapons about his person. ;) (looks a bit like it was posed & he was loaded down to illustrate the range of arms available. and they add more in the middle pic! he can't be comfortable. how the heck can he draw that sword....)

estcrh 16th October 2017 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Afghan with choora dagger.

estcrh 20th October 2017 03:09 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Circassians wearing armor.

Uncle Bertie 23rd October 2017 01:24 PM

What a fascinating thread, thanks to all who have shared their photos.

CharlesS 15th December 2017 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shown as "Moros", this old postcard seems to include some Bagobos as well.

ariel 15th December 2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
....he can't be comfortable. how the heck can he draw that sword....)

This is a very interesting sword. We do not know its original name, but are just using "Kabiani Khmali": sword with a skirt ( see the scabbard), supposedly indigenous to Svanetia and Imeretia. This is the earliest known example of a guard-less Caucasian sword, likely one of a predecessors of shashka. Its handle was strongly angled toward the edge, just a tad short of a pistol grip. One possibility of such a construction is its potential use as both a stabbing and a slashing weapon. Also see the famous sword of Charles the Great.

One can read a paper by Bakradze and Kiziria here:

http://historical-weapons.com/wp-con...ze-Kiziria.pdf

The kindjal of the other warrior is also interesting: its pommel is square, reminiscing classical Gurian examples.

grendolino 4th January 2018 07:47 PM

Photo from Maharaja Ram Singh 2

1 Attachment(s)
One of the photos made by His Royal Highness Maharaja Ram Singh in his court in Jaipur in 1860

kamachate 9th February 2018 06:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all... Here I attached 5 images, first three showing Circassian soldiers at İstanbul. The arms and clothing of the Circassians were well known in the Ottoman Empire. Çerkes Kaması (Circassian Qama) and Çerkes Kılıcı (Circassian Saber) were famous enough to have part in the folk tales or ballads.
The last two are interesting: We see Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of modern Turkey, during Turco-Italian War, or Tripolitanian War, in 1911-12, wearing a shashka. The very last one is from 1922, showing the high command of the Turkish forces just before the end of the Greek-Turkish War. An officer, possibly from Circassian origin, wearing a kindjal and shashka.

Seems that shashka was already known and famous in the eastern world, before it re-gained its fame as "Cossack shashka" :D

jagabuwana 12th February 2018 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two kids practicing pencak silat. The page I found this from was from my reading about Silat Cikalong from Jawa Barat, but I'm unsure if it's related to the Cikalong style.

I have noticed another discussion on this forum about the usage of keris in Indonesian martial arts and whether there were any styles that had techniques for keris weilding. This could be one example. In my personal exposure with silat / maenpo Cikalong I did not learn or observe any keris techniques, but have seen golok techniques with emphases on slashing and parrying.

Drabant1701 30th March 2018 06:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some handcolored miniature (6x9cm) photos by Wilhelm Hammeschmidt, ca 1865, that came with a larger collection of photos that I bought. Originally they where CDV cards but has been trimmed and mounted several on a bigger piece of cardboard. Not to detailed, but maybe you have not seen them before.

colin henshaw 2nd June 2018 07:55 PM

Philippines warrior

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up this old photo recently, (Bagobo, Mindanao ?). Maybe studio posed, but shows the shield and spear well. 1920s ?

Mercenary 23rd November 2018 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The fighting ascetics. Rajasthan, 1900.

fernando 26th November 2018 04:23 PM

7 Attachment(s)
In July 1939 the Portuguese president visited the Limpopo valley, in the (then) colony of Mozambique.
40 000 natives (Rongas/Vatuas) attented the cerimony and 30 000 of them simulated war dances (Batuque), assaults (Impi) and fights.

Ren Ren 15th February 2019 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gaddang people. Northern Luzon, Philippines.

grendolino 17th February 2019 11:26 PM

Madaba Bedu

4 Attachment(s)
Few pictures from Roman Catholic Church in Madaba, Jordan.
First decade of 20th century when Madaba was reestablished.
Note Martini-Henry and some Shibriyas - specially this with studded handle surprised me. As well as the typical Bedu outfit in tribe which is said to be catholic.

Martin Lubojacky 18th February 2019 07:29 AM

A few pictures of Abyssinian warriors (nobles) in parade dress

5 Attachment(s)
Single portraits: The youngest one is young Ras Tafari Mekonnen (emperor Haile Selassie I), the sitting injured is Ras Besabe (son of king of Gojam),the old man standing in the field with spear is Ras Nasibu, the well looking sitting guy is Dejazmach Gebre Michael

Martin Lubojacky 18th February 2019 07:39 AM

Ras Nassibu (picture dropped out from previous post)

1 Attachment(s)
Ras Nassibu (picture dropped out from previous post)

fernando 19th February 2019 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bushmen warriors of the Zulu tribe, with Brits and Afrikaners in a second plan (1879).

fernando 19th February 2019 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mozambique warriors (1895).

Martin Lubojacky 3rd April 2019 02:00 PM

Two warriors/hunters from the southern part of Ethiopia

1 Attachment(s)
The shield used to be attributed to Oromo people (which is a little bit rough allocation - there were many Oromo clans using different shields)

Martin Lubojacky 28th April 2019 05:48 PM

Shields from Sidamo, Ethiopia

2 Attachment(s)
The picture with a group of people is from Bära village in Sidama, 1954-1955

Both pictures are from the book by Pascal Joannes "Private Collection of Ethiopian Art - Tribute to Tekalegn Besega"

(Teka was one of Ethiopian collectors, he, unfortunately, died a few years ago)

Ren Ren 8th August 2019 08:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tribal warriors. Vietnam, 1950-60.

Kubur 31st March 2020 08:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics from Sudan

David 31st March 2020 03:51 PM

6 Attachment(s)
This thread has been around for some time, but i had not realized that i have apparently fallen down on my responsibility to make sure it had a fair representation of the peoples of keris cultures. My bad! I will now attempt to redeem myself. LOL!

David 31st March 2020 03:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More Indonesia, from Bali.

David 31st March 2020 04:02 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Jawa, Sumbawa, Celebes, Minangkabau....

David 31st March 2020 04:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Jawa, Lombok, Bali. Sumbawa, etc.

David 31st March 2020 04:09 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Bali and Jawa...