Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Paintjob on Hulu and Warangka (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24763)

Anthony G. 8th March 2019 03:26 PM

Paintjob on Hulu and Warangka

2 Attachment(s)
Dear members

I just got this keris from an old good friend which used to be owned by him. It is modern made keris done in solo and beautifully done.

I am amazed how the painter paints on the hulu and warangka with such precision and artwork.

Any idea?

David 8th March 2019 09:27 PM

This looks like a nice example of modern sunggingan. Antique examples are hard to come by so it is nice to see well done modern painted dress like this. Not all examples is so precise and well done.

Battara 9th March 2019 05:00 AM

What is the significance of this kind of painting on this type of keris?

Anthony G. 9th March 2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
What is the significance of this kind of painting on this type of keris?

It is many kinds of animals, I have no idea.

Anthony G. 9th March 2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
This looks like a nice example of modern sunggingan. Antique examples are hard to come by so it is nice to see well done modern painted dress like this. Not all examples is so precise and well done.

I was told that the empu who also does this paint job, learnt it from a late famous old painter who had passed away.

A. G. Maisey 9th March 2019 06:04 AM

I think its origin is the European painted furniture of the Colonial Era, however, there are some very old sunggingan wrongkos in existence that bear decidedly Chinese style motifs, so maybe the original inspiration was painted Chinese furniture. In any case, the Javanese nobles thought painted deco was pretty cool, so they used it on keris furniture as well as house furniture.

The various motifs are borrowed from batik motifs, the colours used are colour coded --- at least in Surakarta they are --- Anthony's keris carries an alas-alasan motif which shows animals in a forest, it is painted on a white ground, which indicates wear permitted to a bupati (regent) and the pendok is red kemalo which is also for a bupati.

The painted ornamentation is usually done by the same craftsmen who paint wayang puppets.

It is found on keris other than just Solo, in Solo it is reasonably common, but from other areas, such as Bali it is very rare, and thus much more expensive.

David 9th March 2019 05:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have posted this before, but since Alan has mentioned the Bali form, here is an old sunggingan Bali sheath for reference.

mariusgmioc 14th March 2019 02:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another Balinese example...

Anthony G. 15th March 2019 02:15 AM

beautiful

Sajen 15th March 2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony G.
beautiful

Yes, a very nice contemporary Bali keris! :)

mariusgmioc 15th March 2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Yes, a very nice contemporary Bali keris! :)

Based on the aging/darkening of the paint, I estimate the keris to be about 50 years old. So not antique but not contemporary either.

But I may be wrong...
:shrug:

Sajen 15th March 2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Based on the aging/darkening of the paint, I estimate the keris to be about 50 years old. So not antique but not contemporary either.

But I may be wrong...
:shrug:

50 years, maybe a little bit older is contemporary in my eyes. Like said, very nice.

Regards,
Detlef