Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chinese mace (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13368)

koto 21st February 2011 04:23 PM

Chinese mace

chinese short iron mace :D

fernando 21st February 2011 05:10 PM

Hi Koto,
No pictures ?

koto 22nd February 2011 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my mistake, sorry! first time post here

koto 22nd February 2011 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my first post here, trying hard to upload pic :confused:

koto 23rd February 2011 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
photos

VANDOO 24th February 2011 12:46 AM

JUST A GUT FEELING BUT THIS ITEM LOOKS MORE LIKE PART OF A MACHINE PERHAPS ONE WITH MULTIPLE HEADS LIKE THIS MESHED TOGETHER FOR CRUSHING SOMETHING.
DOES THE SHAFT TAPER TOWARD THE GRIP AND WHAT DOES THE BUTT END LOOK LIKE. IF THE BALANCE IS POOR AND THE SHAFT TOO LARGE FOR A COMFORTABLE GRIP THESE THINGS SHOULD HELP DECIDE IF IT WAS MADE FOR USE AS A WEAPON OR SOMETHING PUT TOGETHER FROM PARTS OF SOME MACHINE.
EITHER WAY I WOULD NOT LIKE TO GET CONKED WITH IT :D GOOD LUCK

Neil 24th February 2011 02:13 AM

I have not seen a Chinese mace before in that form. Do you know anything of its history, such as were you came by it, and or any stories that came with it.
Thanks

Freddy 24th February 2011 09:42 AM

Hi,

Welcome to this forum.

As to you piece... Perhaps it's a weapon used during WW1 for fighting in the trenches. All kinds of maces were used. :shrug:

It's no too big, so it would suit this purpose just fine.

kronckew 24th February 2011 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i have seen bronze-age mace heads of just that knobbly form. a google search on 'bronze mace heads' is attached. note that a lot of such are modern reproductions (especially ebay) as in one shown roughly in the middle...

koto 24th February 2011 03:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
i have seen bronze-age mace heads of just that knobbly form. a google search on 'bronze mace heads' is attached. note that a lot of such are modern reproductions (especially ebay) as in one shown roughly in the middle...

Most of them are Warring States period (475BC - 221BC) stuff, a couple New Stone Age.

Guys, the mace I posted was actually a hidden weapon of early Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) or maybe a bit earlier. It is called 'sleeve mace', i.e. a mace hidden in the loose sleeve for sudden attack. Not quite chevalier manner, isn't it? ;) This one got a style of the northern nomadic minorities. There are longer and heavier maces used for battle, some are standard arms for the armies. They may smash helmets easily. I have a few and can share later.

Here is another sleeve mace of the early to middle Qing period. This one is more of the style of the Central Areas.

Neil 24th February 2011 07:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for sharing koto. I have been looking for a Chinese mace similar to the second example. I am still curious from what sources you based your appraisals on the first mace. I am not saying you are wrong, only following the bread crumbs of research.

Here is an example of a Chinese blunt force short weapon I have in my research collection. It is 17 inches long with a flattened tip on the central rod.

koto 25th February 2011 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Neil, nice spear head and Jian. Both are of Qing Dynasty items.

As for the first mace, you have a good question. Unfortunately there is no official record / literature on such items. Perhaps one can find bits and pieces information from the tomb wall painting, religious painting and folk painting, etc. Given the lack of research in this area, one can also line up items from different periods and get enlighten about their evolution.

The next 3 maces are of no doubt Qing Dynasty items. They are the standard arm of the dynasty army. The style is of the central area, the 'mellon' shape, or pumpkin if you like.