Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   help with talismanic inscription (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26517)

psingh123 11th December 2020 08:53 AM

help with talismanic inscription

2 Attachment(s)
Hello forum members!

I recently purchased a tulwar from the tirri collection! On the blade is an inscription. It does not seem to be a word or phrase but rather single letters, number or symbols? Is anyone able to translate this?

also, there seems to be a orange circle..does this signify anything?

thanks!

Battara 13th December 2020 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this inscription is upside down. I rotated it for you. What I see are Arabic numbers with possibly one exception at the beginning at the right side.

psingh123 13th December 2020 09:11 PM

Im not familiar with Arabic numerals but I seem to see the following: 2 6[?] 9 [with something else?] 3[?] and a 5. Seems to be a random set of numbers? But maybe linked to the first word on the right?

Any idea on what that might say?

mariusgmioc 16th December 2020 06:47 AM

Very beautiful example! Congratulations!

The blade may benefit from some cleaning. ;)

I have no idea what the cartouche inscription says but it appears to intact. :shrug:

psingh123 16th December 2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Very beautiful example! Congratulations!

The blade may benefit from some cleaning. ;)

I have no idea what the cartouche inscription says but it appears to intact. :shrug:

thanks! Yes the inscription is proving quite troublesome to decipher.

kwiatek 19th December 2020 11:23 AM

Where in India do you think this is from? Might help with the inscription

Kubur 19th December 2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwiatek
Where in India do you think this is from? Might help with the inscription

I find this sword and the inscription very suspicious... Might explain the difficulties that you have to read it...

psingh123 19th December 2020 05:35 PM

Not too sure. In tirris book he does not say where it is from. Just says its a persian blade with a indian hilt. Dated 18th century

psingh123 19th December 2020 05:37 PM

Tirris does not say in his book. Only states that its 18th century, persian blade with indian hilt. Maybe its mughal but in terms of location, I am not too sure -

mariusgmioc 20th December 2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psingh123
Tirris does not say in his book. Only states that its 18th century, persian blade with indian hilt. Maybe its mughal but in terms of location, I am not too sure -

The blade too looks Indian to me because of the "Indian ricasso" but that may be resulted from repeated sharpening.
:shrug:

Battara 20th December 2020 11:36 PM

I would be careful of Tirri - his book has many many inaccuracies through out the book. :rolleyes:

Mickey the Finn 23rd December 2020 12:56 PM

ਸਤਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ.
Are you certain that the orange circle is not a rust spot, ਜ

psingh123 23rd December 2020 07:12 PM

I dont think it is. Its very uniform. Looks almost deliberate

psingh123 30th December 2020 11:18 PM

Just an update. Been speaking to some experienced collectors. One pointed out an interesting fact. Said that the hilt is most likely of punjabi/lahore origin Based on its design. Maybe the blade was an import? Or off another sword and mounted on the hilt later?

Victrix 31st December 2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psingh123
I dont think it is. Its very uniform. Looks almost deliberate

Could it be a chemical reaction to something inside the scabbard?

kronckew 31st December 2020 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All you ever wanted on Arabic numerals: Some of those characters you think are numbers, aren't.