Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ceremonial Silver Rencong with Ruby (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10761)

Battara 14th September 2009 02:07 AM

Ceremonial Silver Rencong with Ruby

3 Attachment(s)
I recently got this rencong from Adni of Malay Art Gallery. It is a ceremonial rencong that is subtly laminated and the hilt is made of resin filled chased silver (with traces of gold). IT was once gilded. I made the end cap (which was missing) out of chased silver and a ruby. Its scabbard is wood with 2 silver bands ( I made one of them).

Enjoy

Sajen 14th September 2009 04:35 AM

Very beautiful piece and a perfect restauration! Congratulation!

Nathaniel 14th September 2009 05:01 AM

Congratulations on your new piece. Lovely handwork. Thanks for sharing :)

erikscollectables 14th September 2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
I recently got this rencong from Adni of Malay Art Gallery. It is a ceremonial rencong that is subtly laminated and the hilt is made of resin filled chased silver (with traces of gold). IT was once gilded. I made the end cap (which was missing) out of chased silver and a ruby. Its scabbard is wood with 2 silver bands ( I made one of them).

Enjoy

Battara,

I have a very similair rencong. Will post pictures as soon as I have the time.
Why would it be a ceremonial rencong and if it is that what would the exact use be you think?

I was told this type of rencong is not from Aceh (Atjeh) but from Gayo (Gajo), also in North Sumatra.

Battara 14th September 2009 10:30 PM

My past understanding was that the silver and gold types were used for court wear. The crowns on the hilt also signify court wear and thus ceremonial (for special occasions as well). I also understood that these came from Aceh (as well as Adni making the attribution to this on in particular).

I am not surprised that adjacent areas would have the same or similar types as well.

Would love to see yours. :)

erikscollectables 15th September 2009 07:24 PM

If you show yours....

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
My past understanding was that the silver and gold types were used for court wear. The crowns on the hilt also signify court wear and thus ceremonial (for special occasions as well). I also understood that these came from Aceh (as well as Adni making the attribution to this on in particular).

I am not surprised that adjacent areas would have the same or similar types as well.

Would love to see yours. :)

Hi Battara,

In general it is said that golden crowns are for nobility (does not have to be royalty I think). So far I have not seen this supported in published text though. There are a few variations in crowns (double/triple - rounded edges/sharp edges - gold/gold with enemal/gold and suassa) and these have been described in old text. That has been discussed on the forum some time ago. As they are quite rare compared to regular rencong/sikin it is likely they were not for all "citizens" but only for a selected group - so nobility seems likely to me. Ceremonial use of weapons with crowns I am not to sure of. I have seen quite a few with original battle scars so it seems that use was not limited to ceremony only.

Regarding this type - totally covered in silver and also with crowns in silver I have no background information so far. Only the remark it is probably Gayo.

Here is my version:

- All silver and as far as I can see it has never been gilded.
- A few applications of suassa
- High quality carvings inlaid with green and black enemal
- Diamond inlaid on the back

Regards, Erik

Battara 16th September 2009 04:15 PM

A very nice piece and I suspect older than mine.