Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indian Spear (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22988)

thinreadline 7th August 2017 02:13 PM

Indian Spear

3 Attachment(s)
Bought this in the 1970s at Wellers in Birmingham as an Indian temple guards spear . It breaks down into 2 pieces so I assume it is purely ceremonial rather than a fighting weapon . I have noticed a number of these for sale recently at UK arms fairs Does anyone out there know what the correct name and function and geographic origin of these spears is ? Thanks in advance .

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 8th August 2017 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just jumping in with some art work :shrug: It states ~

Quote"Plate forty-six from the second volume of James Forbes' "Oriental Memoirs". Forbes(1749-1819) made the original drawing of this 'spear-man in the Ragobah's[Raghunath Row] service' in the Mahratta Camp at Cambay where his friend Sir Charles Malet was the English Resident. 'Those who carry matchlocks, or other Indian arms, are generally dressed in a similar manner, sometimes in a jacket and shorter drawers, according to their own choice; no conformity being attempted as in the corps of native sepoys in the Company's service.' ''Unquote.

thinreadline 8th August 2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Just jumping in with some art work :shrug: It states ~

Quote"Plate forty-six from the second volume of James Forbes' "Oriental Memoirs". Forbes(1749-1819) made the original drawing of this 'spear-man in the Ragobah's[Raghunath Row] service' in the Mahratta Camp at Cambay where his friend Sir Charles Malet was the English Resident. 'Those who carry matchlocks, or other Indian arms, are generally dressed in a similar manner, sometimes in a jacket and shorter drawers, according to their own choice; no conformity being attempted as in the corps of native sepoys in the Company's service.' ''Unquote.

thank you Ibrahiim

Jens Nordlunde 8th August 2017 09:40 PM

It is interesting, but what does this prove?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 9th August 2017 02:52 PM

It doesn't prove anything. But it is, perhaps, a little more informative than your post. The quite hilarious ethnographic detail about drawers lengths is interesting but the picture is in its own right worth 1,000 words and on a subject quite difficult to obtain details upon out here on the edge of the universe. Bravo to the thread instigator who has placed a difficult subject for people to add to even if it is only a long pair of pants! :)

Sunmit 10th August 2017 06:30 AM

Just curious: how much are they selling for at the UK arms fair?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinreadline
Bought this in the 1970s at Wellers in Birmingham as an Indian temple guards spear . It breaks down into 2 pieces so I assume it is purely ceremonial rather than a fighting weapon . I have noticed a number of these for sale recently at UK arms fairs Does anyone out there know what the correct name and function and geographic origin of these spears is ? Thanks in advance .

thinreadline 10th August 2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunmit
Just curious: how much are they selling for at the UK arms fair?

around £150

shayde78 12th August 2017 04:55 AM

Stumbled upon an auction example earlier today...could yours be a Liberian prestige spear?
I could post the link, but the auction is still active.